5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What's the No. 1 thing that disappointed you the most about your truck ?

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A truck with this kind of marketing and advertised technology, it's pitiful...

Especially when you can respond to text by voice in a 4th gen with the 8.4...Can you at least still do this with the 8.4 in the 5th gens?

Stevenc150

Reaction score
A truck with this kind of marketing and advertised technology, it's pitiful...
Especially considering my '16 rebel had it and worked great...but my '18 rebel didnt #facepalm

BigD

Reaction score
Ok, so I finally noticed 1 mildly annoying thing. When some music with heavy bass comes on the radio like The Weekend "Blinding Lights" or "Heartless" & the volume is around 15 or higher, I notice a rattle noise coming from the headliner pillar area above the rear passenger door. Anyone else have this issue ? I just have the basic 6 speaker stereo. I turned the bass down to -2 & I still heard it tonight on my way home from work when "Heartless" came on the radio. I don't listen to rap much, so I don't see it becoming too much of an issue. I cranked up Godsmack to volume 20 & no problems. So it's just that low, long bass tone on some rap tunes. Just wondering if anyone else had experienced this ? Wondering if something needs to be tightened up a bit or something?

mtbiker033

Reaction score
my # 1 thing is in the driving assistance screen (where you can see the truck) it's white/silver? and I want to be black...(same goes for the back up camera screens).

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Do we HAVE to keep it to one thing?

I guess in that case, my biggest disappointment is that the fuel economy hasn't been remotely close to what the window sticker suggested, and ALL of my prior gas trucks were spot-on with the window sticker.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Do we HAVE to keep it to one thing?

I guess in that case, my biggest disappointment is that the fuel economy hasn't been remotely close to what the window sticker suggested, and ALL of my prior gas trucks were spot-on with the window sticker.
They used dirty tricks on that one. The EPA sticker is for "a truck" that was tested, not your truck. They don't tell you that the test truck was a bare bones HEMI with 2wd with over inflated tires being driven downhill with a tail wind

TLOC

Reaction score
notice a rattle noise coming from the headliner pillar area above the rear passenger door.

I traced the bass rattle on my Laramie to the power sliding rear glass, when it's partially open and I have the tunes cranked up some the glass rattles like crazy. It appears there's way to much play in the guides where the glass sits...I can hold the glass and no rattle...:mad:

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
They used dirty tricks on that one. The EPA sticker is for "a truck" that was tested, not your truck. They don't tell you that the test truck was a bare bones HEMI with 2wd with over inflated tires being driven downhill with a tail wind

I can consistently get 23-24 mpg in my "loaded" bighorn 4x4, on the freeway, going 62 mph. Taking off 1 or 2 mpg for "computer error" in case it's off, that's still spot on with how EPA rates this truck. You need to be patient, if you're hitting the brakes keep in mind you will lose more gas yet again getting that speed back. I'm not saying you have to hypermile and get pulled into the suck zone behind a semi, but 90% of people on the highway can't drive to save their life, so don't blame the tool until you've examined the one driving it :p

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
I owned three different 4th gens over the last 10 years before I got my 5th gen which I’ve currently had for about a year. I think it is a major improvement over the 4th gens. I’ve had no issues with it at all, I actually leased it in case I didn’t like it that much I could turn it in afterwards. I now intend to keep it after the lease, and my wife loves it as well. My biggest thing is the lights. My 2013 F150 had HID headlights from the factory. It’s crazy that a 2019 truck that’s as loaded up as my night edition level 2 big horn has halogen lights. The mid level LED lights for these models should be the standard light on these trucks.

That will likely change soon because if Ram wants to keep it's First Ever 5-Star Top Safety Pick for a Full-size Truck award, it will have to include LED Projectors as standard equipment across all trim levels whereas right now all trim levels are Marginally rated except the Longhorn and Limited. See links below.

STR

Reaction score
I apologize and know this will rub many of you die hard Ram fans wrong, but biggest gripe is knowing and BELIEVING that this is the 2019 Motor Trend truck of the year and it has SO many different issues that should disqualify it or at least be fixed by FCA immediately...sad...can't imagine a truck with this award and price can be this problematic...

I’ve never been a fanboy to any brand, and certainly give no credibility to any of the popular publications as they are generally bias. I suspect that many on here feel the same. Do you really think that Ram sales would plummet if MT picked Ford or Chevy? Nonetheless, you can go to any forum and you’ll read countless threads addressing issues for all brands, which can be problematic. BTW, do people still read magazines any more; aside from the germ infested ones at doctor offices?

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most of us here have some issues with our truck but what's the one thing that disappointed you the most? Mine was perfect until I discovered a water leak under the driver side door sill. The ironic thing is I got rid of my 2015 F150 because of a water leak that they can't fix. I got the Ram and didn't want the sunroof because I didn't want to take the chance on getting a leak but now I'm dealing with the same issue. Very frustrating.
Seats are a little stiff and uncontoured compared to a F-150 in my opinion. But gas mileage is great for a Hemi engine! (24 hwy) Etorque.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’ve never been a fanboy to any brand, and certainly give no credibility to any of the popular publications as they are generally bias. I suspect that many on here feel the same. Do you really think that Ram sales would plummet if MT picked Ford or Chevy? Nonetheless, you can go to any forum and you’ll read countless threads addressing issues for all brands, which can be problematic. BTW, do people still read magazines any more; aside from the germ infested ones at doctor offices?

Not to mention how many people are happily driving their trucks and could not possibly care any less about what's going on in forums on the internet. I'd imagine people are much more likely to join forums/look up forums in hopes of finding a solution to their issue vs joining forums just to talk about how awesome their truck is.

BigD

Reaction score
Not to mention how many people are happily driving their trucks and could not possibly care any less about what's going on in forums on the internet. I'd imagine people are much more likely to join forums/look up forums in hopes of finding a solution to their issue vs joining forums just to talk about how awesome their truck is.
I joined just to talk about trucks. I love trucks. I'm not loyal to any brand. Imo Ram has the best truck right now. Well see what Ford & Toyota come up with in 2021.

Silver Black

Reaction score
Until a couple of days ago I was torn between the two things that I thought were the "No. 1 thing that disappointed me most" about my five week old 2020 Big Horn.

1. The ride. Straight out of the gate I didn't like the 1500 suspension. Here in Alaska we have consistently poor road quality - generally on account of the harsh weather which causes asphalt to heave and buck season to season. Hitting a basic pothole caused way too much vibration up into the cabin. Also, making a hard turn while accelerating (such as exiting a parking lot onto the street) caused the truck to tip over onto the outside front wheel and then the truck rocked back and forth too much.

2. The climate control system. I've read the owner's manual a few times on operation of the climate control system and so far my opinion is very "meh". Fan is loud but doesn't push much air. As soon as you touch any button the system turns from Auto to Manual. Air conditioning is always on in Auto mode, yet I live in Alaska where I don't need air conditioning. I've honestly just started opening the rear sliding window and opening the passenger side window to get air flow through the cabin. I have no doubt that the climate control system will work well on a three hour road trip but the whole system needs to be more aggressive for daily short trips.

The good news is that I mostly fixed No. 1 above so the climate control system is my sole biggest disappointment.

I have 20" wheels and putting 40#s in all four tires (36#s recommended) did wonders for the ride/handling quality.

Users who are viewing this thread