5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What would you prefer?

E.Hands

Reaction score
I'd like to pose this question:
Would you guys prefer an engine with the same power that you currently have but with better MPG or would you rather the same MPG and another 145 Horsepower and an additional 111 Ft/Lbs of torque?

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Better mpg.
Unless it was an extra 300 Horsepower. 145 horsepower ain't worth much, those are tiny numbers.
Where's the hybrid Hemi at???

E.Hands

Reaction score
Better mpg.
Unless it was an extra 300 Horsepower. 145 horsepower ain't worth much, those are tiny numbers.
5.7 Hemi = 395 HP / 420 TRQ
SST S/O = 420HP / 469 TRQ
SST H/O = 540 HP / 521 TRQ
Ram Charger = 663 HP / 615 TRQ
Eco Diesel = 260 HP / 480 TRQ
6.4L Hemi = 410 HP / 429 TRQ
6.7L Cummins = 370 HP / 850 TRQ

Not really considering the differences in the engines platforms, which is huge (cost, reliability, power & torque curves, fuel type requirements, et cetera).
But from a 5.7L Hemi Owner's perspective, which would you prefer more the power or the efficiency?

Let's say:
395 HP / 420 TRQ @ 21 MPG
or
540 HP / 521 TRQ @ 15 MPG

Basically, if RAM had come asking "Do you wish that your Hemi made more horsepower or got better MPG?"
What would be your answer?

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have enough power, but at 13 mpg lifetime, I would be very happy with a few more of those.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Give me a 500 hp Hemi with nothing extra on it like turbo’s or supercharger while still maintaining 20 mpg and I’d be completely satisfied.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Better mpg.
There's more to power and acceleration than just the peak numbers. That's why even the SO blows the 5.7l out of the water on any acceleration test,despite only having 30hp/50tq more peak numbers.

E.Hands

Reaction score
There's more to power and acceleration than just the peak numbers. That's why even the SO blows the 5.7l out of the water on any acceleration test,despite only having 30hp/50tq more peak numbers.
I smell what you are cooking but that doesn't answer my question.
My response to your statement is: "That's why I could see myself wanting the new platform."

Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds like this might be heading toward a Hemi vs. Hurricane thread, so I'll lean in a bit.

You could in theory have both of those things on a Hemi by adding turbo(s). Same engine running at lower speed under boost could produce the same power but better MPG. Or crank up the RPM and you now have more power with the old MPG.

But there's probably something to be said about an engine that's designed to be boosted from the ground up. And why limit ourselves? How about:

A 3.0 turbo for the efficiency-conscious.
- and -
A 5.0 turbo for the real power users.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'd like to pose this question:
Would you guys prefer an engine with the same power that you currently have but with better MPG or would you rather the same MPG and another 145 Horsepower and an additional 111 Ft/Lbs of torque?
This question seems to be designed to convince people to get on board with the new platform. I'm unsure of your motivation but I'll give you props for your determination since you're posting it in multiple Ram truck forums.

Basically, if RAM had come asking "Do you wish that your Hemi made more horsepower or got better MPG?"
That wasn't your original question. This later version implies that keeping the Hemi is an option. I would absolutely wish my Hemi made more power. I could make it do that but I don't want to risk reliability so I'd have to go the expensive route. You know the saying...Cheap, fast, reliable. Pick any two because you can't have all three.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I smell what you are cooking but that doesn't answer my question.
My response to you statement is: "That's why I could see myself wanting the new platform."
I was replying to someone else about the HP numbers

E.Hands

Reaction score
I'm with you guys that are saying that options should be available. But the only options on offer are Standard Output and High Output.
A lot went into that selection by the powers that be.
My question is a simple one.
How many Hemi owners want more power without sacrificing MPG?
And how many on the forum would favor MPG over increased power and torque?

Last edited:

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
5.7 Hemi = 395 HP / 420 TRQ
SST S/O = 420HP / 469 TRQ
SST H/O = 540 HP / 521 TRQ
Ram Charger = 663 HP / 615 TRQ
Eco Diesel = 260 HP / 480 TRQ
6.4L Hemi = 410 HP / 429 TRQ
6.7L Cummins = 370 HP / 850 TRQ

Not really considering the differences in the engines platforms, which is huge (cost, reliability, power & torque curves, fuel type requirements, et cetera).
But from a 5.7L Hemi Owner's perspective, which would you prefer more the power or the efficiency?

Let's say:
395 HP / 420 TRQ @ 21 MPG
or
540 HP / 521 TRQ @ 15 MPG

You are skipping the 6.2L = 702 HP / 650 TRQ
I would not opt for a 540 HP with 15 MPG which is terrible.

The TRX gets over 700 horsepower with less MPG, and I did not buy a TRX due to that very reduced MPG even at highway speeds, if I did not need it to travel for work I would consider getting a stronger engine with less mpg, but such small gains are not worthwhile.

When I bought a 2012 v8 Camaro I was also looking at a Prius, only because the mpg gain would of been more worth it but realized it quickly dropped off on long distances on the highway resulting in a wash, but I was happier with the extra speed in the Camaro balanced with the rather decent mpg it got with it's 6.2L L99 engine doing 0-60 in 4.6 seconds. I was able to get 17-22 mpg in the Camaro despite the speed. It is quite a bit lighter then my Ram obviously around 4200lbs.

You're fishing for a very particular answer, and you are trying to twist things to get it.

I with my Hemi got better MPG, I have several comments in other threads going back to 2022 confirming it too, LOL.

My current truck with a 5.7 is "fast" for me and has no problem getting up and going. I don't tow but even if I did I am sure it would have enough strength and I would only gain by getting more mpg, thus my comment about a hybrid Hemi, not the joke that is eTorque.

E.Hands

Reaction score
It just seems to me that I have seen far more posts here concerning MPG than I have seen concerning HP/TRQ
And now Stellantis goes and offers us more HP/TRQ with the same MPG?

But I'm sure that theiy study more about what will sell to future buyers than what previous owners want.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Hurricane is interesting, but I'm not buying an unproven platform. Give it time, and maybe... as long as no mandated kill switches are involved.

Users who are viewing this thread