5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What truck to get?

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New here. Have a 2018 F-150 XLT that has been problematic, and in general the build quality is lacking. Bought for the features thinking silver color would grow on me but it never did. Looking at a Ram by the end of the month. I think I want the 5.7 with the 3.21 gearing. I have blind spot monitoring now and like it, but not a deal breaker. Mostly city driving but a couple times a week make a 60 mile round trip to the next town over. I have a 2500 lb boat and trailer I tow 45 min to the lake in summer a few times a month. I like the patriot blue color.

Option 1: Order a 2020 Laramie, group 1 package, rear locker (maybe off road package, not sure about the 1 inch lift), trailer brake controller. Would probably keep the chrome (I have body color bumpers now, harder to clean and more easily damaged), and keep it a 6 seater. MSRP $53,170 on the build site including $795 off road pkg.

Option 2: Right color, but no LED headlights or blind spot, no rear locker, no trailer brake controller (might never use it but would like to have it)

Option 3: An OK color. Anti-spin but I would rather have the locker.

Thoughts? Are 2019s that much more problematic?

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I was kind of in the same boat. Comparing well equipped Big Horns with a well equipped Laramie. In the end, the Laramie had a couple of things I couldn't get with the BH's. I ended up paying about $4k more, but I really love my truck. It was in my favorite color as well...patriot blue looks killer, especially in the sunlight.

My personal preference was to avoid 2019 models. Most of the problems I've been reading about have been on those. Although that's to be expected anyway since they've been in use longer. Only time will tell for sure, but it stands to reason that Ram would have addressed at least the recalls that people had on their 2019's. Good luck with your decision.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
New here. Have a 2018 F-150 XLT that has been problematic, and in general the build quality is lacking. Bought for the features thinking silver color would grow on me but it never did. Looking at a Ram by the end of the month. I think I want the 5.7 with the 3.21 gearing. I have blind spot monitoring now and like it, but not a deal breaker. Mostly city driving but a couple times a week make a 60 mile round trip to the next town over. I have a 2500 lb boat and trailer I tow 45 min to the lake in summer a few times a month. I like the patriot blue color.

Option 1: Order a 2020 Laramie, group 1 package, rear locker (maybe off road package, not sure about the 1 inch lift), trailer brake controller. Would probably keep the chrome (I have body color bumpers now, harder to clean and more easily damaged), and keep it a 6 seater. MSRP $53,170 on the build site including $795 off road pkg.

Option 2: Right color, but no LED headlights or blind spot, no rear locker, no trailer brake controller (might never use it but would like to have it)

I would go with the Laramie. Nobody ever said "Can't believe I paid about $5 more a month to have more safety features and convienience". If blind spot helps you avoid even one accident it is worth more than you paid. Also you will be happy with the LED compared to halogen, better visibility and won't need to be replaced.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why order a 20 Laramie when you can just go find one? I think you need to go walk the lots of a couple dealers.....DONT SKIP ON LED HEADLIGHTS!

Laramies are all pretty liaded up near me, and most dealers stock up on Big Horns. I want to be under $54k MSRP. Mostly gray color, too.

One more question... with Ford they have the best rebates by far on XLT trim all the time. Right now Ram is $1000 more on BH. Is this typical? Or do Laramies get good rebates sometimes, too?

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome , all the Rams get good rebates especially when the next model year starts showing up . Around here we get the manufacture incentives and the dealer incentives which usually equate to 18,000 off

Rick J

Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you want the rear locker. It's really designed for off road use and can't be used over 20 MPH. With the kind of driving you describe, IMO you would be better off with anti spin.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm curious as to why you want the rear locker. It's really designed for off road use and can't be used over 20 MPH. With the kind of driving you describe, IMO you would be better off with anti spin.
Pulling the boat out of the water. It isn't a big boat but some of the ramps are pretty steep. I have the locker in my F-150 and use it for that. I read somewhere that these also can act a lot like a poor man's anti-slip with one of the traction features built in (I don't recall what it was - it wasn't just traction control it was called something else).

Icecoldak

Reaction score
dont worry about MSRP that much--Heck you are going to get 12-15K OFF MSRP on any new RAM! Real easy to do, especially now, I would go for a 2020 too---and get ALL the options you want, the correct truck is out there close by--

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

Easy. Safety or features you want, will always trump color (in my humble opinion).

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
dont worry about MSRP that much--Heck you are going to get 12-15K OFF MSRP on any new RAM! Real easy to do, especially now, I would go for a 2020 too---
Not necessarily true. There are a lot of factors which figure into that. Also, you will get very few or none of the buying incentives if you go with the 0% for 84 months deal. This is also usually true if you pay cash for the truck. I did neither of those things, and couldn't get more than 8k off MSRP. I read about people getting killer deals but not a lot of detail on how that was accomplished. We're just supposed to believe they are amazing negotiators, and anyone who didn't get that kind of deal sucks. LOL
and get ALL the options you want, the correct truck is out there close by--
Depends on what features you're looking for, and whether or not the dealerships in your area have decided to equip the trucks they order with those features. Try finding a truck with the rambox option that isn't either a Tradesman or Big Horn. Maybe they are plentiful in other parts of the country, but I had to go 350 miles from home to find my truck. Not exactly close by. LOL
Easy. Safety or features you want, will always trump color (in my humble opinion).
True for most. I know people who put color at the top though.

heydre

Reaction score
Why order a 20 Laramie when you can just go find one? I think you need to go walk the lots of a couple dealers.....DONT SKIP ON LED HEADLIGHTS!
Were the LEDs that noticeable/better than stock? Why?

steveved

Reaction score
LEDs are stock on the Laramie and way superior to Halogens. I test drove both a Big Horn with Halogens and a Laramie at dusk before buying my Laramie. The LEDs on the Laramie are awesome.

CJR28

Reaction score
There is Big Horns with the LED light package, they are just a little harder to come by. But i agree with the other posters, the difference between the LEDs and halogens is huge. I would definitely go for a truck with LEDs.

Edit. Also see if you can find one with Ramboxes. Highly recommended

airgas1998

Reaction score
you'll regret getting the ramboxes if it's misaligned and warped like so many are...

Malern28us

Reaction score
I would look at a 2019 CPO RAM. I got a limited with 26k miles for $38k plus tax. It has an extended 7 year/100k warranty from the original date of purchse.
P.s. My truck initially listed for $68k

highgear2005

Reaction score
Like you, I had a 2018 f150 that was a nightmare! Dumping that Ford was the right decision for me and my family. I decided on a 2019 1500 5.7 3.92 bighorn, this truck is loaded with everything I need. Led lights, equipment group 2. The only things it was missing,running boards and break control, which I had the dealership install. also had Line x sprayed. I would have the dealership check on the break control for your truck. I was told if the wire harness isn’t under the dash they can’t install. My truck came with the class four hitch. I normally buy dark colored trucks but this time I went white and I’m loving it! I agree silver isn’t a great color on a truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
you'll regret getting the ramboxes if it's misaligned and warped like so many are...
No regrets here. You make it sound like it's a major deformation or something. It's an issue with the lids not aligning perfectly with the sheet metal on the sides and/or top of the bed. Mine are a little off. I can live with it just fine. The rambox storage boxes are extremely handy to have. The other aspect of the rambox option which often gets overlooked, is the bed divider. Multiple mounting points means you can place it where you want to keep cargo separated, or keep stuff from sliding around in the bed. Handy when you have a bed cover and you want to keep things near the tailgate. Most of us can live with the small issue of lid alignment long as they keep water out. I would chose to have them again if I were buying another truck today. I know it's a tired saying, but these are trucks. They're supposed to be utilitarian.

Users who are viewing this thread