5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What truck to get?

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Pulling the boat out of the water. It isn't a big boat but some of the ramps are pretty steep. I have the locker in my F-150 and use it for that. I read somewhere that these also can act a lot like a poor man's anti-slip with one of the traction features built in (I don't recall what it was - it wasn't just traction control it was called something else).

The manual locking diff isn't needed for that, as long as you have either 4x4 or the auto locking diff (or both). As long as you are not 2 wheel drive with a totally open diff, you'll be able to pull a boat out of the water.

So the Ram's come with 3 different rear diffs: an open diff, an auto locking diff, or a manual locking diff. The auto locker will mechanically lock when it senses slip, and then release again as soon as it's no longer needed. It's a better system to have if you have snowy/rainy whether a lot because you don't have to worry about engaging it, it does it for you, the manual locker is the better system if you do a lot of serious offroading.

Not suggesting you shouldn't get the manual locker, just don't turn down a good deal if it comes with the auto locker/limited slip diff instead.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I went to a local dealer yesterday that had the blue 2019. I actually don't like the patriot blue seeing it in person. Maybe it was because it was cloudy. But the maroon red with the chrome was sharp. Didn't drive it.

So they may dealer trade for this one, if incentives improve enough next week. I am just a little worried about the etorque. Also need to drive one to make sure I don't mind the regenerative braking feel.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So I went to a local dealer yesterday that had the blue 2019. I actually don't like the patriot blue seeing it in person. Maybe it was because it was cloudy. But the maroon red with the chrome was sharp. Didn't drive it.

So they may dealer trade for this one, if incentives improve enough next week. I am just a little worried about the etorque. Also need to drive one to make sure I don't mind the regenerative braking feel.

Just a suggestion, but I would avoid the 23 gallon fuel tank, which that red one has. I have the 23 gallon tank, and it seems like I'm always having to fill up. My range is just over 300 miles with my current fuel economy. I really wish I would have cared more about that and made sure to find something with the 33 gallon tank.

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just a suggestion, but I would avoid the 23 gallon fuel tank, which that red one has. I have the 23 gallon tank, and it seems like I'm always having to fill up. My range is just over 300 miles with my current fuel economy. I really wish I would have cared more about that and made sure to find something with the 33 gallon tank.

I agree, that is a small tank. I expect similar mileage to my F-150, which has a 26 gallon tank and I'm OK with the 26. The problem is I'm looking for kind of a unicorn (bench seat, not a real popular color, 18" rims because I don't want to pay for 20s and they are heavier and would expect worse mpg, and chrome bumpers) and can, but would prefer not to, special order.

Users who are viewing this thread