5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What trim level should i get?

SoFlo45

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a Ram 1500 this summer, and this will be my first time owning a Ram. Ive done a good bit of research and decided i want to get a new or slightly used 1500.
Here is what I will be doing with this truck and what i want/need. I will be towing a boat that weights 10k lbs pretty regularly. I also might get a small camper in the future, to take on road trips.
I do need a crew cab, and I also want to have the Ram Boxes, although it sucks that you cant get them with the 6'4 bed. I never do any off roading, and i live in an area with no hills or cold weather.
I also want nice luxury features like air suspension, and the tech packages. Above all i want this truck to be smooth riding, and comfortable for me and my passengers, while still being able to haul a camper or boat on the weekends. lastly i don't want to spend more than 55k, but i would like to keep it closer to 50k.
If you were in my shoes, what trim would you pick, or would you go with a whole different model?

SoFlo45

Reaction score
If I were to be pulling a 10K pound anything on a regular basis, I would be looking at 2500 trucks. Good luck sir.
I was thinking i might need to do that, but i will only be towing it 2 miles each trip, and usually its only loaded at about 9k lbs.

nc_beagle

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't know how boat tongue weights compare to travel trailers and maybe it won't matter if you're only towing a very short distance, but check the payload on the trucks you look at. RamBox is something like a 120# hit against payload and the 1500s aren't real high in payload to begin with, especially as you go up in trim and options.

Andymax

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What do you use to tow the boat now?

Despite no offroading, warm climate, etc, I'd get the 4x4...yanking 10K out of the water and up a boat ramp is reason enough.

Want leather, heated/cooled seats, upgraded stereo, etc? Start at Laramie trim level. If you just want the tech stuff and air suspension, Big Horn would work but might be difficult to find those options on a Big Horn.

Good luck.

BoudinBall

Reaction score
I love towing with my 1500 4x4 with 3.92 rear end but I only tow a 20’ bass boat. Nowhere near 10K pounds. I’d be looking at a 2500 if that was the case.

Rexx

Reaction score
If you want all those nice features you’re probably looking at a Laramie at a minimum, if not a Longhorn or Limited.

Problem is those nice features on the higher trims eat into payload quite a bit. Towing a 10k boat would easily put you over your payload limit on the higher trims. You could still do it but it’s not recommended.

So you’re probably looking at a Laramie+ in a 2500/3500 but that means more $$. Or give up some of the tech features and go with a nicely optioned Big Horn 1500.

rbundy84

Reaction score
I think you are going to have to adjust expectations quite a bit, especially at getting what you want at 50k. As others said, you are probably looking at a 2500 to tow 10,000 pounds and a Laramie 2500 (with leather and some features) will set you back 70k+, especially in this environment.

Good luck in your search! There’s deals to be had, you just have to go find them

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Towing a 10k boat would easily put you over your payload limit on the higher trims. You could still do it but it’s not recommended.

A loaded Longhorn/Limited without MFT, eTorque, Ram Box is about 1,400 lbs payload.

Boats are ~10% TW so towing it wouldn’t be over payload with the right options

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Your probably looking at a well equipped Laramie. I don't think you would have an issue with a 1500 if your only towing 2 miles, but the biggest thing will be pulling the boat in and out of the water.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking i might need to do that, but i will only be towing it 2 miles each trip, and usually its only loaded at about 9k lbs.

For only 2 miles I don’t think a 2500 is necessary

For what you want I’d get a Longhorn or Limited. A loaded Laramie will end up with the same payload but you’ll have nicer features that are only in the Longhorn/Limited

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
For only 2 miles I don’t think a 2500 is necessary

For what you want I’d get a Longhorn or Limited. A loaded Laramie will end up with the same payload but you’ll have nicer features that are only in the Longhorn/Limited

I agree on both counts. No need for a 2500 to tow 2 miles

Rexx

Reaction score
A loaded Longhorn/Limited without MFT, eTorque, Ram Box is about 1,400 lbs payload.

Boats are ~10% TW so towing it wouldn’t be over payload with the right options
He says in his original post that he wants Ramboxes.

He also mentions passengers, which I’m guessing he’s taking with him to ride on the boat. He’s easily going to be over the payload on a limited/longhorn with ramboxes.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you first said the boat was about 10K#..then more like 9K#...also, are you taking into consideration the weight of the trailer? my rule of thumb is don't tow over 80% of max tow...those max tow numbers are kind of a joke, real life safe margin is 80% of that number. You decide what risk level you are willing to take, and there may be times when you want to go somewhere else with the boat that's a lot further away.

SoFlo45

Reaction score
What do you use to tow the boat now?

Despite no offroading, warm climate, etc, I'd get the 4x4...yanking 10K out of the water and up a boat ramp is reason enough.

Want leather, heated/cooled seats, upgraded stereo, etc? Start at Laramie trim level. If you just want the tech stuff and air suspension, Big Horn would work but might be difficult to find those options on a Big Horn.

Good luck.
I use an 04 F250 SuperDuty. Thanks for the input.

SoFlo45

Reaction score
If you want all those nice features you’re probably looking at a Laramie at a minimum, if not a Longhorn or Limited.

Problem is those nice features on the higher trims eat into payload quite a bit. Towing a 10k boat would easily put you over your payload limit on the higher trims. You could still do it but it’s not recommended.

So you’re probably looking at a Laramie+ in a 2500/3500 but that means more $$. Or give up some of the tech features and go with a nicely optioned Big Horn 1500.

I think you are going to have to adjust expectations quite a bit, especially at getting what you want at 50k. As others said, you are probably looking at a 2500 to tow 10,000 pounds and a Laramie 2500 (with leather and some features) will set you back 70k+, especially in this environment.

Good luck in your search! There’s deals to be had, you just have to go find them
Yeah i definitely set my expectations too high, but i don't mind buying a 1-2 year old truck and saving a little bit.

SoFlo45

Reaction score
Your probably looking at a well equipped Laramie. I don't think you would have an issue with a 1500 if your only towing 2 miles, but the biggest thing will be pulling the boat in and out of the water.
Yeah, luckily the ramp near me is not steep at all.

JoeCo

Ram Guru
Reaction score
you first said the boat was about 10K#..then more like 9K#...also, are you taking into consideration the weight of the trailer? my rule of thumb is don't tow over 80% of max tow...those max tow numbers are kind of a joke, real life safe margin is 80% of that number. You decide what risk level you are willing to take, and there may be times when you want to go somewhere else with the boat that's a lot further away.

Also, in the event of an accident (even if it is in that 2 miles), you may have some level of liability if someone got hurt, or worse, if your vehicle was found to be inadequate legally. I'm not sure, I'm not a lawyer, but that would be my concern.

Yeah i definitely set my expectations too high, but i don't mind buying a 1-2 year old truck and saving a little bit.

You may be waiting a while on that, have you looked at the used market recently? They are nearly as expensive as new, I ordered a truck due to this (never even bought new before) as it didn't make any sense at my time of order to save 2-3k by buying used. Not sure when that will return to normal, but judging by the $43,000 autonation wants for my 2017 longhorn with 53k miles on it, it's not now.

SoFlo45

Reaction score
The weight with a full tank of gas, gear, and the trailer is roughly 9700lbs. 11500lbs towing capacity should be enough to tow just 2 miles, but i agree that if i wanted to take the boat far it would not work well. I dont take it far now, but im sure at some point i will want to.

SoFlo45

Reaction score
Also, in the event of an accident (even if it is in that 2 miles), you may have some level of liability if someone got hurt, or worse, if your vehicle was found to be inadequate legally. I'm not sure, I'm not a lawyer, but that would be my concern.

You may be waiting a while on that, have you looked at the used market recently? They are nearly as expensive as new, I ordered a truck due to this (never even bought new before) as it didn't make any sense at my time of order to save 2-3k by buying used. Not sure when that will return to normal, but judging by the $43,000 autonation wants for my 2017 longhorn with 53k miles on it, it's not now.
I didnt know the used market was so bad, but i should have guessed. After hearing input from you guys i think it would be smart to get a lower trim 2500 that still has some features, maybe like a big horn, especially if i am wanting to get a camper.

Users who are viewing this thread