5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHAT THE? first time with RAM connect/Uconnect5?

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
So ive only had my truck now for only what 6 or 7 weeks? Just got an email saying, "remember to extend your free trail for RAM connect...". so after reading it all... im legit confused now? YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT MONTHLY? WHAT THE HECK? not that ive used any of the features, at least i don't think, b.c i used the android auto or apple but still whats their to pay for? is that just XMradio? or that app that the dealer had me install? (which i have yet to even use at all lol). im just confused. my last truck was a used 7k miles... 2020 1500 warlock classic and it was a basic model with no packages, bells or whistles. i never heard or even dealt with it. i know "Uconnect" is like RAMs application? not really even sure. but anyways let me shut up.... WHAT IS IT? do i really need to purchase it? is it worth it?
any help is apperciated.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score
Satellite radio is it's own separate thing with a separate subscription with Sirius. The RAM Connect services they're referring to are the ability to remote start your truck from the app, track it with GPS from the app, and some other app based features that I don't recall offhand. Maybe the factory Tom-Tom based GPS too? Fairly common these days for manufacturers to charge a subscription for stuff like this.

Your Uconnect system will still function as intended otherwise (i.e. apple carplay/android auto, radio, system settings & features, etc).

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
Satellite radio is it's own separate thing with a separate subscription with Sirius. The RAM Connect services they're referring to are the ability to remote start your truck from the app, track it with GPS from the app, and some other app based features that I don't recall offhand. Maybe the factory Tom-Tom based GPS too? Fairly common these days for manufacturers to charge a subscription for stuff like this.

Your Uconnect system will still function as intended otherwise (i.e. apple carplay/android auto, radio, system settings & features, etc).
AH, ok got it. sooooo your pretty much telling me its not worth it to even pay for that since i use my phone anyways?

Thank you for your help my dude. i greatly appreciate it.

23RAM

Reaction score
YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR THAT MONTHLY?
That's typical of most vehicles with these kinds of services. I don't need nor want the extra connect features so I'm not paying for that. I do pay for my navigation to keep the real-time traffic updates - it's great when you get a notification that there's an accident a few miles ahead and you can get off the highway to go around it. If you don't subscribe, the navigation still works fine, and there's map updates for free online, so it's not essential if don't need traffic updates. I also don't mind paying for Sirius (after the trial expires) for commercial-free music. It's not that expensive - it's like the cost of a fancy coffee once a week to cover these features.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AH, ok got it. sooooo your pretty much telling me its not worth it to even pay for that since i use my phone anyways?

That is for you to decide if it is worth it or not.

Arth

Reaction score

Keep using your phone. As stated they are subscription based services that Ram wants you to buy into.

1. Is the Ram Connect that allows for remote start and location service via the Ram app on your phone. 14.99 a Month
2. Is the Navigation service that allows the over the air updates, live traffic updates, and etc to continue. 9.99 a Month

Sirius XM is it's own separate subscription.

I've extended the free trail on the Ram connect for the heck of it.

uncc_99xj

Reaction score

Totally up to you. Personally, I like the ability to GPS track my truck, but not enough to pay for the service. That's one thing Ford has (maybe had at this point if they've followed everybody else) going for them. They tried to go subscription based shortly after I bought my F150 in 2018, and people rioted. They decided it would be best to keep it free, so I had all of the same perks mentioned above with no extra fees. I found the GPS location portion handy to see where it was when I had it in for warranty work (which was a LOT). I could tell if it was in the bay, out back because they hadn't touched it yet, or parked and ready for me. Plus I could see how many miles they put on it for a road test, if they even did that.

I wouldn't bother paying for the live map updates portion of the factory navigation considering unlimited data phone plans have become much more affordable these days. I personally use Waze and can see live traffic before I get to it.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
You need to log onto the Mopar website to see, EXACTLY what came with your truck and what is still active.
My 2022 came with a 10 year "trial" of lojack, but only 3 months of the other services.

Map updates are free for 2022+ so there really is little reason to pay for the connected services except for remote start (from your phone) and live traffic (that never worked for me)...

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I personally think the cost of the connection packages far exceeds the value. This page shows the connection packages and what functions they add.

They are a little vague on what is provided via connective services with the Tom Tom navigation, other than map updates and live traffic. I suspect this is intentionally confusing. I've read without paying for navigation connected services you will lose some of the map icons that show things like gas stations with prices. I know you also lose the ability to send an address from your phone to your truck's GPS, but that function does not work very well in my truck anyway. Most of the time it does not appear in my truck until hours or even a day later.

Personally, I like the ability to GPS track my truck, but not enough to pay for the service.
I don't think you have to pay for this service for 10 years and I don't even see it listed with a package you can buy. The bottom of this page says the Safety and Security package is offered as a 10 year trial. Vehicle Performance Package - 5 year trail, and Assistance and Navigation Package - 3 months trial.

VectorZ

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's insane that Ram wants us to pay this much for a near useless service. My wife's Ford Escape has Ford Pass which is awesome and my BMW X5 has the MyBMW app which is amazing, showing all kinds of trip data, location, it's integrated with Alexa so I can start my car by voice etc, ALL FREE.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's typical of most vehicles with these kinds of services. I don't need nor want the extra connect features so I'm not paying for that. I do pay for my navigation to keep the real-time traffic updates - it's great when you get a notification that there's an accident a few miles ahead and you can get off the highway to go around it. If you don't subscribe, the navigation still works fine, and there's map updates for free online, so it's not essential if don't need traffic updates. I also don't mind paying for Sirius (after the trial expires) for commercial-free music. It's not that expensive - it's like the cost of a fancy coffee once a week to cover these features.
I mean, you can connect your phone with car play or Android auto and get real time traffic reports using Google maps or Waze and not pay anything

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
It's insane that Ram wants us to pay this much for a near useless service. My wife's Ford Escape has Ford Pass which is awesome and my BMW X5 has the MyBMW app which is amazing, showing all kinds of trip data, location, it's integrated with Alexa so I can start my car by voice etc, ALL FREE.
This is the same company that had people pay $100 to receive news about the Ram REV truck, noted in the terms and conditions the $100 was not a down payment.
They are money grab at it's best

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To me GM OnStar was worth it to me - I loved being able to call up and talk to a real person on the fly to look up and send me driving directions to the vehicle. Poor planner and did things on a whim so rarely had a route ready. Ram did not provide that service which was enough for me to not keep the service.

23RAM

Reaction score
I mean, you can connect your phone with car play or Android auto and get real time traffic reports using Google maps or Waze and not pay anything
It's not free - you pay for it with your phone plan. Up here in Canada, we don't have much in the way of true unlimited data plans, and the few we do have are priced almost as much per month as it costs per year from RAM. In other words, it's cheaper from RAM than my phone.
:mad:

23RAM

Reaction score
Plus they have gotten cheap and only give 90 days of satellite radio, when it used to be a year.
It's a one year trial for Sirius up here still. But we pay more for the same truck here...

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I pay the $110/year for the Nav upgrade. I like waze and google, but I like having the Nav show up on my digital dash and HUD. I do not like having to look to the side especially when I am in an unkown city in heavy traffic.

I did not research too much but is there a way to have Waze show up in the digital dash?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I did not research too much but is there a way to have Waze show up in the digital dash?
No.

I pay the $110/year for the Nav upgrade. I like waze and google, but I like having the Nav show up on my digital dash and HUD. I do not like having to look to the side especially when I am in an unkown city in heavy traffic.
Nav is included, map updates are free and you can download and install them via USB as often as they are releated.
You do need to pay for live traffic though.

Users who are viewing this thread