5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHAT THE? first time with RAM connect/Uconnect5?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My factory nav works great.
It works just fine but I think it lacks detail compared to previously. The factory nav was WAY better on both of my 4th gens. Waze is just so much more appealing to view and operate. I especially like the police alerts which is a nice addition. Not that I’m constantly breaking the law by speeding but just nice to know where they’re located. The routes I drive the alerts are always very accurate.

6of36

Reaction score
It works just fine but I think it lacks detail compared to previously. The factory nav was WAY better on both of my 4th gens. Waze is just so much more appealing to view and operate. I especially like the police alerts which is a nice addition. Not that I’m constantly breaking the law by speeding but just nice to know where they’re located. The routes I drive the alerts are always very accurate.
Actually on my 24, I got a police alert once. I imagine you have to pay subscription to keep it.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got burned with a Ford vehicle that included Nav. I had to pay to have the Nav package installed, then I got hit with a yearly registration/update fee of ~$250. Lol...no thanks.

I don't think you got burnt, you just got what you paid for. Unlike most manufactures; Ford gives you more than 1 option for a navigation system.

The less expensive "Connected Navigation" option only works with a paid subscription to connected services after the free 90 day trial. You must always maintain the subscription for navigation to work. I believe it's currently about $80 per year.

They also offer a more expensive navigation option, "Connected Built In Navigation" that comes with a 3 year trial of connected services but will still work in "offline navigation mode" after the subscription expires.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't think you got burnt, you just got what you paid for. Unlike most manufactures; Ford gives you more than 1 option for a navigation system.

The less expensive "Connected Navigation" option only works with a paid subscription to connected services after the free 90 day trial. You must always maintain the subscription for navigation to work. I believe it's currently about $80 per year.

They also offer a more expensive navigation option, "Connected Built In Navigation" that comes with a 3 year trial of connected services but will still work in "offline navigation mode" after the subscription expires.
GM did the same thing.
Lower level trims got "Onstar GPS"
My 18 Silverado had the real GPS, it never expired, it was a single line item. You could only tell the difference is on the app screen one said "Onstar Nav" and other just said "Nav".

The window stick calls it "W/ NAVIGATION & MYLINK" The one with the subscription said Onstar nav. It was $495 for the upgrade to perm nav without any subscription.

Can't just buy a car\truck and expect everything is what it seems, read the fine print.

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Lol. Maybe that's how it works today. My last Ford was a 2011. ;)

23RAM

Reaction score
Before I turned 65, and got Medicare, I paid $12,000 a year for health insurance. Do you pay $17,000 more in taxes?
Yes. Canada is one of the highest overall taxed countries in the world and they hide a lot of that tax revenue. Income tax rates are average, but all the other taxes we pay, many of them "hidden" taxes, are not visible to the consumer. And we often pay tax on top of taxed products and services, meaning we pay the same tax over and over again. Don't get me started...
🥺

6of36

Reaction score
Yes. Canada is one of the highest overall taxed countries in the world and they hide a lot of that tax revenue. Income tax rates are average, but all the other taxes we pay, many of them "hidden" taxes, are not visible to the consumer. And we often pay tax on top of taxed products and services, meaning we pay the same tax over and over again. Don't get me started...
🥺
We have those too, with hidden taxes on gas, cigarettes, alcohol, and who knows what else. I just paid $4,000 sales tax on my truck, and if I sell it now, the next person would pay another $4,000. My license plates are over $300 a year. But is just your income tax more than $17,000 more than our federal income tax? That is the conversion.

23RAM

Reaction score
We have those too, with hidden taxes on gas, cigarettes, alcohol,
Yes but nothing like here, for instance a bottle of alcohol is $15 in New York, but up here the same bottle is $45. A case of beer is $18, up here it's $40 - most of the difference is additional taxes.
I just paid $4,000 sales tax on my truck, and if I sell it now, the next person would pay another $4,000.
I paid 8.5k sales tax for a lower trim level, and we have the same re-sale taxes where the next person would pay 8.5k.
My license plates are over $300 a year.
Plates are down to $59 here, but that was only last year as our liar of Ontario Premier wanted to get re-elected. I'm sure the next term or next liar will get it re-instated.
But is just your income tax more than $17,000 more than our federal income tax? That is the conversion.
Yes...not a lot more. But as I stated, we pay a lot more tax on everything else - that's where the big tax revenues come from for our government. Did you know our government is per capita nearly twice the size of yours with 1/10 the population? We have twice as many on the government payroll per person. That's partly why our taxes are so high, to pay for all our employees and services.

I'll end my comments here as it's off topic.

My Nav fees for 1 year are $142 = 11.83 per month or a few fancy coffees. That's cheaper than roaming fees so when I cross the border, I'm not using my phone data to navigate.

Last edited:

DeanM2

Reaction score
I got 6 months of sirius platinum that is due to expire next Friday ( 27th). I just re-subscribed for 12 months @ 5.00 per month.
I went through the same dance with Sirius on my last vehicle. Got them down to $5.00 per month for each of 3 vehicles, and then forgot about it. A year later, I see a bill on my credit card for over $500!! The year had gone by and Sirius billed me the full rate (that nobody pays) for a year, for all 3 vehicles. I would have been comfortable paying the $5.00 per month per vehicle. But I was tired of the annual haggling with Sirius and canceled the service on all 3 vehicles.

Reactions: c3k

DeanM2

Reaction score
I prefer to use the built-in Tom Tom navigation rather than using Google Maps via Android Auto. But I would also like to have real-time traffic updates. With Google Maps, the routes are always updated with current traffic. How is Tom Tom as far as providing traffic updates and suggesting alternate routes?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
... I would also like to have real-time traffic updates. ...

After ignoring many of Google and Sirius "real time" traffic alerts that informed me of a traffic jam I have learned they are really not real time. They are slow to recognize a traffic jam and will continue to route you out of your way around a traffic jam long after it has cleared. I found them worthless in St Louis city traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread