5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

WHAT THE? first time with RAM connect/Uconnect5?

O'Town Ram

I know less and less about more and more
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Nav is included, map updates are free and you can download and install them via USB as often as they are releated.
You do need to pay for live traffic though.
Yes, it is the live traffic and police activity I pay for
I usually have waze running as a backup on my phone

One thing I have noticed, if I am running waze on carplay, and have the nav guiding me to a destination, I cannot toggle back and forth between carplay and nav. It stops the guidance on nav

23RAM

Reaction score
Apparently...my 2022 has it and they seemed to have carried it forward. But don't forget, we pay thousands more than you, so they're getting their money back and more.
:mad:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Apparently...my 2022 has it and they seemed to have carried it forward. But don't forget, we pay thousands more than you, so they're getting their money back and more.
:mad:
My 21 Durango had it too. The 90 days is new. You pay more, because your dollar is worth less. Our dollar is worth $1.37 Canadian. Your price should be 37% higher.

jselkins

Reaction score
Is it easy to subscribe and unsubscribe for monthly or is this paid yearly for the part with the remote starting? I only care to use this feature during the very cold months because I work inside a hospital and it's a pain to have go somewhere I can see the truck now.

logboom

Reaction score
I got 6 months of sirius platinum that is due to expire next Friday ( 27th). I just re-subscribed for 12 months @ 5.00 per month.
I recieved a 90 day trial of the navigation and assistance that I let go.
I use Waze and Google ( both will show gas prices ).
It is a bit confusing with all the different nomenclature used. I thought long and hard about the Nav and assistance but I just don't see the value in it....at this time.
Maybe when FJB is out of office and we're not in WW3 and the economy turns , then I'll be in a better mood to subscribe 😉

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Is it easy to subscribe and unsubscribe for monthly or is this paid yearly for the part with the remote starting? I only care to use this feature during the very cold months because I work inside a hospital and it's a pain to have go somewhere I can see the truck now.
You can pay for services monthly and not yearly. I would recommend getting a virtual credit card number just in case (so you can turn it for hist in case they try to keep billing)

23RAM

Reaction score
You pay more, because your dollar is worth less. Our dollar is worth $1.37 Canadian. Your price should be 37% higher.
I wish it was that simple. But no, we pay more because we're forced to by market conditions - lower supply and higher demand - imports are limited to create a false level of supply. We pay on average 40% more (50+% on certain items). Sadly that applies to almost everything in this country. Then there's higher taxes on everything on top of it all to pay for services like "free" healthcare - trust me it ain't free, we pay 1.5x more through our taxes than our neighbours to the south.

Maybe you remember years ago when the CDN dollar was stronger than the US dollar? We still paid more because the markets organized and forced it.

Don't get me started on pricing here in Canaduh...

6of36

Reaction score
I wish it was that simple. But no, we pay more because we're forced to by market conditions - lower supply and higher demand - imports are limited to create a false level of supply. We pay on average 40% more (50+% on certain items). Sadly that applies to almost everything in this country. Then there's higher taxes on everything on top of it all to pay for services like "free" healthcare - trust me it ain't free, we pay 1.5x more through our taxes than our neighbours to the south.

Maybe you remember years ago when the CDN dollar was stronger than the US dollar? We still paid more because the markets organized and forced it.

Don't get me started on pricing here in Canaduh...
Before I turned 65, and got Medicare, I paid $12,000 a year for health insurance. Do you pay $17,000 more in taxes? If the dollar is worth 37% less, the 40% more isn't way out of line, 50% yes.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
oooooo
I personally think the cost of the connection packages far exceeds the value. This page shows the connection packages and what functions they add.

They are a little vague on what is provided via connective services with the Tom Tom navigation, other than map updates and live traffic. I suspect this is intentionally confusing. I've read without paying for navigation connected services you will lose some of the map icons that show things like gas stations with prices. I know you also lose the ability to send an address from your phone to your truck's GPS, but that function does not work very well in my truck anyway. Most of the time it does not appear in my truck until hours or even a day later.

I don't think you have to pay for this service for 10 years and I don't even see it listed with a package you can buy. The bottom of this page says the Safety and Security package is offered as a 10 year trial. Vehicle Performance Package - 5 year trail, and Assistance and Navigation Package - 3 months trial.
Shoot tbh the 5 and 10 year trials are pretty fair. the 3 month packages are respectfully usless.

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
you pay monthly at a time, auto pay monthly and unsubscribe when you want, or yearly upfront from what i read with a link in this thread

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I got burned with a Ford vehicle that included Nav. I had to pay to have the Nav package installed, then I got hit with a yearly registration/update fee of ~$250. Lol...no thanks.

Not a single vehicle I have purchased since then has included the manufacturer's "nav package". I use my phone, on a high-quality mount, for navigation. My RAM does an OUTSTANDING job of tying my phone into the vehicle with Android Auto.

I navigate with Waze (usually) running on my phone, but the display is on my truck's screen. My phone is displaying the JBV1 app (tied in flawlessly with my Valentine 1 radar detector). If a call comes through, my truck displays the incoming call. Ditto if I make an outgoing call.

If vehicle manufacturers had not been so greedy (a thousand or two for the Nav package, and then hundreds for yearly updates for as long as I own the vehicle), I would've said, "sure." But they overcharge. Now I love the system I have. It is very flexible, powerful, and always up to date.

n8zcc

Reaction score
Not a single vehicle I have purchased since then has included the manufacturer's "nav package".

I navigate with Waze (usually) running on my phone, but the display is on my truck's screen.
Unfortunately, manufacturers bundle NAV in an option package. When I ordered my 2022 Longhorn, most of the tech I wanted (cross traffic alert, blind side monitoring, etc) was part of the Level 1 Equipment Group for a staggering amount of money. It included crap I didn't want like park-assist, lane keep, premium sound, heated/vented rear seating, wireless charging, and navigation. At least they didn't make me take a sun roof like GM does.

I use Waze exclusively and I have a wireless Android connection to my 12" display, flawless. So far I have yet to be disappointed with Waze, crowd crowd-supported, it seems accurate with info like potholes, speed traps, road kill, etc. Some say a loss of cell service will hinder Waze navigation but for me, it seems to pre-load mapping data so even when I am in areas without cell service I have mapping info.

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 2008 Big Horn I got the year of XM. I was still getting ADs and
the signal would drop out for Trees and or Buildings. It was nice to not
have to find a new FM station every 50 miles when traveling, but the drop
outs killed being an enjoyable experience and having to pay for it.

I got a 128GB Thumb Drive for my '21 Laramie and put a bunch of MP3s
that I ripped from my CDs on it. Now I get just the music that I like without
Commercials and Drop Outs.

Malodave

It is only $12 right now:

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
On my 2008 Big Horn I got the year of XM. I was still getting ADs and
the signal would drop out for Trees and or Buildings. It was nice to not
have to find a new FM station every 50 miles when traveling, but the drop
outs killed being an enjoyable experience and having to pay for it.

I got a 128GB Thumb Drive for my '21 Laramie and put a bunch of MP3s
that I ripped from my CDs on it. Now I get just the music that I like without
Commercials and Drop Outs.

Malodave

It is only $12 right now:

I think drop outs are location dependent. I live in St Louis and never get a drop out, even downtown among tall buildings, but when visiting my son in Lubbock TX, it drops out often.

Also, if you want higher quality CD sound quality, try ripping your CDs in the lossless FLAC format. MP3 compression cuts fidelity.

Dewey

Reaction score
Factory nav sucks. I’ve used Waze since the second day I owned by truck and couldn’t be happier.

Never pay full price for XM radio if you want to keep it. I call them up to cancel when mine is running out saying it’s too expensive and they always come back with a much cheaper price. Don’t accept that either and tell them they need to do better. I’ve never paid more than $7/month over the past 15 years or whatever it’s been since XM radio started in vehicles.

As far as other services I won’t waste my money. Remote start from the app would be nice for those sub zero days but I’ll suffer the cold for a bit instead of paying for that. Heated seats and steering wheel warm up plenty quick anyway.

6of36

Reaction score
I got burned with a Ford vehicle that included Nav. I had to pay to have the Nav package installed, then I got hit with a yearly registration/update fee of ~$250. Lol...no thanks.

Not a single vehicle I have purchased since then has included the manufacturer's "nav package". I use my phone, on a high-quality mount, for navigation. My RAM does an OUTSTANDING job of tying my phone into the vehicle with Android Auto.

I navigate with Waze (usually) running on my phone, but the display is on my truck's screen. My phone is displaying the JBV1 app (tied in flawlessly with my Valentine 1 radar detector). If a call comes through, my truck displays the incoming call. Ditto if I make an outgoing call.

If vehicle manufacturers had not been so greedy (a thousand or two for the Nav package, and then hundreds for yearly updates for as long as I own the vehicle), I would've said, "sure." But they overcharge. Now I love the system I have. It is very flexible, powerful, and always up to date.
My girlfriend has had 3 or 4 Fords as her last vehicles. None of them charged for the navigation, for the 3 years she leased any of them.

Users who are viewing this thread