5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Ramps (for oil changes) are you using?

CrazyWorld

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have some old metal ramps.....on my cement shop floor.....to prevent sliding.....I use duct tape. Take a 12 to 14 inch piece of tape.....4 inches on the ramp.....the rest on the floor.....do both ramps....has worked well for me for years. I also have marked the floor for all of our vehicles.....takes the guess work out of where to place ramps.

MattF

Reaction score
I use the dealerships ramps...

Matt

steveved

Reaction score
I bought a set of 72" Race Ramps when I bought my 2018 ZL1 Camaro. These also work good for the truck.

I like the fact that I can remove most of the ramp once the truck is in the air. Makes it easier to service stuff.

Here is a link to the ramps I am referring to... https://www.raceramps.com/garage-service/ramps/race/p/RR-72-2/

I bought mine from Summit Racing.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a set of 72" Race Ramps when I bought my 2018 ZL1 Camaro. These also work good for the truck.

I like the fact that I can remove most of the ramp once the truck is in the air. Makes it easier to service stuff.

Here is a link to the ramps I am referring to... https://www.raceramps.com/garage-service/ramps/race/p/RR-72-2/

I bought mine from Summit Racing.

Like I said in post #14 of this thread, I like Race Ramps. Glad to see someone else does as well. :) (y)

Sjay

Reaction score
I bought a pair years ago and made a pair

Attachments

• truckramps.jpg
    truckramps.jpg
    237.1 KB · Views: 85

MValdez

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Use 4x4 and the ramps won't slide. Oh I use rubber ramps for the wife's subaru, only put the Ram up once so far

Here's a stupid question.

When driving up the ramps, 2WD, 4WD high, 4WD auto, 4WD low?
It's the best question you could ask.. 4WD and ramps will not slip. I've had these ramps for over 2 years and they've never slipped on me when in 4WD...

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wife bought me a set of RaceRamps years ago and they're still going strong. The versions I have are two piece and I believe the 1500 RAM is the max weight I'd put on them. I have put a 2500 diesel RAM on them and it sort of dimpled the tread of the tires into the surface of the ramps.. so we don't go that heavy anymore. haha!

Sjay

Reaction score
Looks like we have same truck.

What id you use to build your own ramps?
3/4" Plywood for the ramp surface and then 2X Material - trust me the are very strong. Used wood glue on all the surfaces and structural screws to hold it together. - I can send you additional photos if you would like them. Only disadvantage - they are heavy

smashweights

Reaction score
I have only changed the oil in my Limited once. I used the air suspension to raise it all the way so I could slide under easier. When I was done and ready to add the oil, I used the remote to put it back down to entry/exit mode to make it easier to reach the oil fill.
I was wondering if that was sufficient, good to know!

TLOC

Reaction score
I have the exact Rhinos, pull it out in the level drive with UPS truck cardboard from fiance' daily deliveries:D, and change oil, no worries...

taz2016

Reaction score
Wife bought me a set of RaceRamps years ago and they're still going strong. The versions I have are two piece and I believe the 1500 RAM is the max weight I'd put on them. I have put a 2500 diesel RAM on them and it sort of dimpled the tread of the tires into the surface of the ramps.. so we don't go that heavy anymore. haha!
Before I bought my RaceRamps I borrowed a set from a friend to use on my Corvette. I left it up overnight and noticed my tire tread left an impression after I backed it down. It was still there when I returned them (oops) and this was from a 3400 pound car.
Their present two part stands are rated for either 1500 or 2500 pounds each depending on which version you buy.

When I did my oil change I didn't use ramps. As thin as the oil is I wanted to keep the truck as close to my collection pan as I could. Between my OEM running boards on the sides and the factory front spoiler it was tight but possible. I think for my next change I'll try my homemade 3" ramps.

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
This is how I do mine. I have a paved driveway, but I always do my work where I extended my driveway with stone.

I forget the actual size, but cut 2 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood, used 1/2 inch because of lightweight and only use them for the ramps. 2 sheets of rubber on top of the plywood. I drive the truck onto the plywood and stop when tires are on the plywood. Set the ramps and just drive right up. I set 2 jack stands under the frame just in case one of the plastic ramps decide to break. You don't want to use the plastic ramps right on stone.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200114-030740_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200114-030740_Gallery.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 62

Ken Robbins

Reaction score
This is how I do mine. I have a paved driveway, but I always do my work where I extended my driveway with stone.

I forget the actual size, but cut 2 sheets of 1/2 inch plywood, used 1/2 inch because of lightweight and only use them for the ramps. 2 sheets of rubber on top of the plywood. I drive the truck onto the plywood and stop when tires are on the plywood. Set the ramps and just drive right up. I set 2 jack stands under the frame just in case one of the plastic ramps decide to break. You don't want to use the plastic ramps right on stone.
I'm using the Rhino ramps also. Forgot to add that to previous post.

Klute

Reaction score
3/4" Plywood for the ramp surface and then 2X Material - trust me the are very strong. Used wood glue on all the surfaces and structural screws to hold it together. - I can send you additional photos if you would like them. Only disadvantage - they are heavy

I found a design online where you simply stack 2 x 10 at receding lengths. Looks very strong/solid and easy to make. Downside is they look to be heavy and not easy to store.

hdvespa

Reaction score
I made my own ramps with pieces of 2x12 stacked up in a ramp firm

TruckDriver

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rhinoramps checking in + 4WD Low for creeping up on the ramps.

Given the oil filter placement on the 5.7 though, I'll be looking at a relocation kit, the placement is a joke and though I did it mess free (sandwich bag method)...the contortion required to get above the EPS is hilariously bad.

Nice post above with the scaffold to get in the engine bay - I bought a tire mounted step, pretty useful for that also

Side note, I'll be building cribbing blocks at some point, has anyone used that method when looking to lift all four?

Ronkartz72

Reaction score
Rhinoramps checking in + 4WD Low for creeping up on the ramps.

Given the oil filter placement on the 5.7 though, I'll be looking at a relocation kit, the placement is a joke and though I did it mess free (sandwich bag method)...the contortion required to get above the EPS is hilariously bad.

I have an oil filter relo waiting on the next oil change. I will let you know how it works out. The filter location is in a horrible spot.

Users who are viewing this thread