5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What octane are we using?

What octane are we using?

• 91/93+

Results are only viewable after voting.

sep1006

Reaction score
87 here and always fill up at Chevron. If no Chevron around then Texaco as they both have Techron.

sd2134

Reaction score
In reference to what sep1006 said in post #81.

I remember a Discovery or History channel show that talked about the gas pipeline from Colton Ca to Las Vegas. They said the unleaded fuel of a given octane was all the same entering and flowing down the pipeline. For example Chevron has to put a given amount of gas in the system to draw gas out at the Las Vegas depot. Chevron may not necessarily draw the exact gas they added to the system. They also stated the difference in fuel is determined by the detergents added to the fuel such as Techron by Chevron prior to delivery.

I found a couple of articles about gas being differentiated by the brand and amount of detergents added. The second link discusses top tier gas and list locations that are top tier gas.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
think you mean 89, right?
Nope. 87 just like it says. Note post #4 that has a clip of the manual. It states:

"This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89."

It goes on to say 89 is recommended for optimum performance. Ok. So? It is not specifically designed to only run on 89. It's not like the engine will implode sending a shower of antimatter sucking the sun in to become a black hole destroying the solar system if 89 is not used.

The engine is designed for gas from 87 to 89. If it is designed for it, I will run it. I am not on the strip trying for the last 100th of a second time in the 1/4 mile. I'm driving to work. 87 works just fine.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Nope. 87 just like it says. Note post #4 that has a clip of the manual. It states:

"This engine is designed to meet all emissions regulations and provide satisfactory fuel economy and performance when using high quality gasoline having an octane range of 87 to 89."

It goes on to say 89 is recommended for optimum performance. Ok. So? It is not specifically designed to only run on 89. It's not like the engine will implode sending a shower of antimatter sucking the sun in to become a black hole destroying the solar system if 89 is not used.

The engine is designed for gas from 87 to 89. If it is designed for it, I will run it. I am not on the strip trying for the last 100th of a second time in the 1/4 mile. I'm driving to work. 87 works just fine.
Well said Mountain Whiskey!

Fuzznutz

Reaction score
87 all day everyday. No noise or any issues with it so far.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score

Yup. 87 is fine unless you want to tow or drag race

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The manual says 87 is acceptable. Might as make as much power but won’t damage the engine 🤷🏻‍♂️
oh, I'm right there with you, I run 87 too...I was saying 89 is what is recommended by FCA, not 87, but we all know 87 won't hurt anything.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I have been experimenting with using only 87 lately and I have not noticed any difference in power or MPG compared to 89. However I do live in a high elevation, 5500 ft, so that alone will let me use 87 without issues.

ddharris

Reaction score
89 . It doesn’t cost a ton more and it’s recommended by the manufacturer for optimal performance and efficiency.

Bearman95

Reaction score
Last time I checked at the Valero, 89 was $.50 per gallon more than 87 in my area which is Fort Worth Texas. I usually buy at Sam’s which is 93 and only a few cents per gallon more than 87 at other stations. However I am in process of buying a 2500 longhorn right now! Not sure of the cost of diesel but Sam’s does have diesel. Don’t know if I will make a deal with them, they have to come up 1000 more on my truck for me to do it.

ColoradoCub

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If these trucks absolutely required a certain octane fuel it would be on the gas door like many other makes do (My wife’s Lexus for example). Requiring people to look in the owners manual for what fuel to run is silly. I’d bet 90% of these trucks are fueled with whatever gas is cheapest! Imagine how many thousands of Ram 1500’s are rented across the country, do you really think people who rent a vehicle are going to look in the manual for what gas to put in it.

DTN

Reaction score
I use 87 from Walmart (usually) and I just paid $2.70/gal. Kroger just offered .55/gal discount for a year if you open a Kroger credit card so that's my new gas station and they usually were slightly less than Walmart. The truck run's great on 87.

Jako

Reaction score
Linking threads

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I have noticed that while California gas is expensive, the difference between grades is small, usually 10 cents from 87 to 89 to 91. In that case, I generally will use at least 89 when I can't get to a Costco.

Users who are viewing this thread