5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What octane are we using?

What octane are we using?

• 91/93+

Results are only viewable after voting.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
No need to get passive-aggressive about it. I never said anything about pinging, nor have I ever heard anything like that on this truck or my previous one. Of course damage could be happening if you actually are experiencing that.

No need to be so sensitive, there was nothing aggressive in my post (certainly not by intent anyway).

But to your point, I bet most people would have pinging when running 87 octane and then getting on the throttle (passing a car, going up a hill or pulling a load etc). I never hear pinging with 87 when sunday-strolling through town though .

I can't find the youtube video back but there was a guy who did some logging on his hemi and his conclusion was even 89 wasn't good enough, 91+ was pretty much a requirement.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
No need to be so sensitive, there was nothing aggressive in my post (certainly not by intent anyway).

But to your point, I bet most people would have pinging when running 87 octane and then getting on the throttle (passing a car, going up a hill or pulling a load etc). I never hear pinging with 87 when sunday-strolling through town though .

I can't find the youtube video back but there was a guy who did some logging on his hemi and his conclusion was even 89 wasn't good enough, 91+ was pretty much a requirement.
Sorry if I took what you posted wrong. It's difficult to gauge people's attitudes in this type of environment. I've probably spent too much time in other forums where people often get snarky with each other.

I'm gonna have to respectfully disagree with you about your assumption that most people would have pinging when running 87 octane. I've owned two of my own Rams with 5.7 hemi engines, and have regular use of two others (my gf's 2017 Rebel and my daughter's 2019 Rebel). All of them use 87 octane. I've never once heard pinging from any of them. I don't drive them like grandma either. I regularly pass on the highway, often on hills, and used to tow my boat with my 2017. Obviously I can't speak for others on this, but if you were right we'd see threads on that subject and lots of people complaining about it. I guess that's my assumption LOL.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Half tank 93 half tank 87. Go back and forth with each fill up.
Do you know that this what the filling station does to come up with the mid grade? That's right, it is blended right there under your feet! just ask the truck driver filling up those under ground tanks.

Bonzzy

Reaction score
Great thread, appreciate the discussion. Learned a lot

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run whatever I buy at Sam's or Costco and call it good.

However, I have a neighbor two doors down that I saw last fall pouring gallon cans of TRUEFUEL into a funnel he had sticking out of his 2019 Jetta! I was mowing the lawn and saw those thirteen cans of liquid gold lined up like expensive ladies at the bar and just had to walk over to investigate.

Mike in his early 30's, young father, who takes good care of his house and equipment. When I asked what he was doing, he explained he does this twice a year to clear out the ethanol out of the system by using one full tank of TRUEFUEL. I quick ran the numbers and realized he is spending $17 a gallon x 13 gallons which equaled a whopping $221!!! I laughed when he said it as I couldn't believe my eyes...I didn't mean to offend him but it did and I apologized. I haven't seen him do it since but have a feeling he is doing it in the garage with the door closed now.

I'm walking the day I have to resort to that!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Usually 89 no ethanol. But sometimes 91 no ethanol, or 93 E10. Sometimes 87 E10 but not often.

BowDown

Reaction score
I use Costco's 93. Their 93 is the same price or cheaper than 87 everywhere else. Costco only has 87 and 93 and I'm not using 87

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
I'm not an engineer. I just manage a department full of engineers and correct their work before it is submitted to clients. When reading the whole paragraph from the owners manual I see that it says the motor is designed for gasoline with an octane level of 87 to 89. Not designed just for 89.

If your truck runs ok on 87, use 87. If it knocks and pings a lot, use 89. If it still carries on go to the dealer and pray for a miracle.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I use 87 because I want the freshest gas possible, around here I dont see many running 89. I worry about bad/stale gas.
89 is a blend of 87 & 91, half from each tank underground, so no worries needed about stale 89....

Jako

Reaction score
I am an engineer, actually. Octane is strictly a measurement of knock resistance. Engines that use high compression, aggressive timing, and/or forced induction will experience knocking (detonation) with insufficient octane in the fuel. This can severely damage or destroy an engine, which is why modern engines detect detonation and adjust for low octane fuels. Maximum power is achievable only with the recommended octane.

Using a higher octane than recommended has no benefit, you're just paying more at the pump. I'm surprised by the card you found and can only assume they're trying to dispel this persistent myth that higher octane will somehow magically make more power in an engine that was not designed for it. There are no harmful effects to your engine by using higher octane than necessary.
Finally found the card I was referring to, better late than never. Next is to compare my window stickers between the 2001 and 2019.
This is from my 2001 Dodge Ram SLT, For Customer Removal Only.
Note: 3rd bullet down.

Ram 2001 Dodge octane.jpg

HAL9001

Reaction score
I've owned a lot of vehicles, been on many, many forums for decades, and have read a lot of discussions concerning octane. Most devolve to high emotions, misinformation, and a lot of anger. I almost didn't read this discussion figuring that it would be just another flame war.

I have to say that this forum has some of the best contributors and discussions anywhere. People here discuss things rationally, back up their opinions with facts, don't let emotions get carried away, and for the most part are respectful with one another.

What a breath of fresh air. This is one of the best and most factual discussions on octane I've read anywhere. Greatly appreciated.

mmcbeat

Reaction score
89 is a blend of 87 & 91, half from each tank underground, so no worries needed about stale 89....
I didn’t know that but it makes perfect sense. The manual that came with my Ram recommends 89 but says 87 is marginally acceptable.
Thanks!

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t think that’s the case everywhere. We have 87, 89, 93 around here
yes, we have that too...the 89 though, is not a separate tank underground in MOST cases..the 89 is an instant blend of the 87 & 93, or sometimes 87 & 91...whatever the pump has for low & high grade. It's mixed underground. Most refineries don't make a mid-grade anymore. The Myth of Mid grade gas...

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run Shell 89 as that’s what is recommended. Only advantage I see with 93 in a stock Hemi is some of the 93 fuels have superior cleaning agents such as Shell V power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/