5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is this tiny button by the hood release? (pics)

CMENT

Reaction score
that's got to be it!

I recall the sales guy briefly telling me about a KARR security system, along with 4 or 5 other dealer-installed "non-negotiable" options,.....which I promptly and politely said I would not be paying for any of them, period, done, end-of-discussion.

$595 for Mopar wheel locks
$595 for nitrogen in the tires
KARR security nonsense $999
interior protectant for $999
undercoat nonsense for $999

now, how do I remove that? I'm sure there is some brain type device and it's probably interrupting the factory system with questionable wiring.

My wife just asked what I am laughing at? Told her you would not believe what a Ram dealer tried to push on a guy and he did the right thing and called BS on them.

Her reply “it’s Chrysler, would you expect any different?”

My reply, “We are a Mopar family which is equivalent to being a Browns fan. We are stuck in neutral.”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Still laughing at the $600 nitrogen fill. I'd tell them I don't like nitrogen - swap it out for regular air.

I'm in a negotiation process order a new GMC. Hey - NO ADDONS, NO STICKERS/Fabric Protector/Paint Sealer - none of that crap...

Rick

Keezer

Reaction score
how do I remove that? I'm sure there is some brain type device and it's probably interrupting the factory system with questionable wiring.

Bummer, they have to cut into the harness to install. You can pull it out and reconnect the cut wires but boy are these bad. If it was to malfunction or you dont get the wires correct when pulling it out it can disable the vehicle.

Normally run dont walk away from dealers that install these. If you dont buy the cheap system (check eBay for a price) they say they disable it but it is still on the vehicle and the wire harness is still butchered.

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Still laughing at the $600 nitrogen fill. I'd tell them I don't like nitrogen - swap it out for regular air.

I'm in a negotiation process order a new GMC. Hey - NO ADDONS, NO STICKERS/Fabric Protector/Paint Sealer - none of that crap...

Rick
That may be your experience but I’ve also been on the other end with GM products in which they lay on the BS marked up crap one doesn’t need. It is dealer specific and I can show you three terrible GM dealers in the Houston area and one great dealer who refuses to play those games. And Ford, like GM and Ram, have their share of crooked dealers as well.

rubrduk

Reaction score
My wife just asked what I am laughing at? Told her you would not believe what a Ram dealer tried to push on a guy and he did the right thing and called BS on them.

My reply, “We are a Mopar family which is equivalent to being a Browns fan. We are stuck in neutral.”

I ended up getting the truck for roughly $39k after discounts and incentives, and with a ridiculously low APR,...sticker was $51,500, the advertised price was $42k (with incentives)

my tricks:
- know the price market and then stretch that to the maximum, don't be afraid to low-ball until you find a soft spot,...the worst they can do is say "no"
- always keep the upper hand
- know specifically what options you want, shop online, find a dealer with the largest stock (not the local guy with 3 trucks)
- keep shopping dealers until you get one that will negotiate, and don't get afraid to leave

I'm going to buy a truck from somebody,...now it's their burden to sell it to me at an acceptable price, and if they won't... I'll just find someone that will.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Bummer, they have to cut into the harness to install. You can pull it out and reconnect the cut wires but boy are these bad. If it was to malfunction or you dont get the wires correct when pulling it out it can disable the vehicle.

Normally run dont walk away from dealers that install these. If you dont buy the cheap system (check eBay for a price) they say they disable it but it is still on the vehicle and the wire harness is still butchered.

they are actually a reputable dealer,...3rd largest RAM volume sales dealer in California

I went there because they had 127 RAM trucks on their lot at the time purchased,....literally right there, take your pick

I've now found out they use the Karr system for "inventory control", every single vehicle gets it installed on arrival,...if I knew of a better way to keep track of 700-900 new vehicles that are sitting around in various storage lots, I'd probably be more upset.

The device and install are fully covered under warranty as a dealer-installed device,...it's smarter to leave it alone.

Keezer

Reaction score
I've now found out they use the Karr system for "inventory control", every single vehicle gets it installed on arrival
Should be your first clue, no where near reputable. If you're okay with a vehicle with a modified harness because the dealer needs to keep track of inventory (and sell a few overpriced useless alarms when they can), glad you're happy.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

It's the dealership, not Chrysler. They'd probably be doing the same thing if they sold Fords or Chevys. My dealership doesn't ever try to up-sell crap like that. But then again they rarely ever have more than 25-30 trucks on the lot at any given time. They're more interested in selling Jeeps right now LOL.

rubrduk

Reaction score
Should be your first clue, no where near reputable. If you're okay with a vehicle with a modified harness because the dealer needs to keep track of inventory (and sell a few overpriced useless alarms when they can), glad you're happy.

I negotiated 24% off of MSRP,...and got a truck with all options I wanted (and a few extras) for the budget I had set for myself.

I am happy ;):coffee:

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most dealerships out here use something similar called S.W.A.T. GSP tracking (I think it's owned by KARR).

They may use it for inventory control but I bet the dealership gets a good insurance discount for having it installed. And if they can get $800-$1000 from a customer then that's even more money to line their pockets.

Mine had one when I bought it and I declined the $800 price tag so they put some kind of clip in it to deactivate it. I wasn't happy that it was there but it was the only truck within 500 miles that fit the bill and I was running out of time to buy (I only had 2 days left in my rental from the insurance company). I was going to walk away but my wife was the voice of reason - "are you really going to walk away from the truck you want, at the price you want, because of this?"

NorthStar

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most dealerships out here use something similar called S.W.A.T. GSP tracking (I think it's owned by KARR).

They may use it for inventory control but I bet the dealership gets a good insurance discount for having it installed. And if they can get $800-$1000 from a customer then that's even more money to line their pockets.

Mine had one when I bought it and I declined the $800 price tag so they put some kind of clip in it to deactivate it. I wasn't happy that it was there but it was the only truck within 500 miles that fit the bill and I was running out of time to buy (I only had 2 days left in my rental from the insurance company). I was going to walk away but my wife was the voice of reason - "are you really going to walk away from the truck you want, at the price you want, because of this?"
I have always and will continue to walk away from even the best deal on the best truck as my first and only guiding principle when looking for a truck is to never fall in love with one which could cause me to compromise my values. I won't make a deal with the Devil nor will I deal with an unscrupulous dealer. And I've learned to check/look before the test drive to ensure there is nothing under the dash or hood that is an aftermarket device. They typically have it on the aftermarket "Screw the Customer" sticker on the windshield (next to the Moroney sticker) or the salesman tells me when he sees me checking with my flashlight or I find it on my own.

I've found three dealers here in Houston who pull that crap and I've walked every time to find a much better truck/deal than the one I left. We each have our own way of purchasing vehicles...

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've found three dealers here in Houston who pull that crap and I've walked every time to find a much better truck/deal than the one I left. We each have our own way of purchasing vehicles...
I am usually very meticulous about my purchases. Up until now they have all been used vehicles and have been on my timeline. Once I decide to get another vehicle it usually takes me 12-18 months to research, shop, drive, negotiate, then purchase.

Unfortunately I was on a timeline as my last truck was totaled in an accident (not my fault) and I only had 2 weeks to find a replacement. If I didn't have a deadline hanging over me I would have ordered a truck exactly like I wanted and made sure they didn't add anything between delivery and purchase.

Even though I compromised on the S.W.A.T. installation (but didn't pay for it) there wasn't any dealer badging, added accessories, or huge mud flaps with the dealership's name on them.

The dealership's finance department didn't try to push anything on me or try the "required dealer-add on" fees. A few yes/no questions and I was out of there with the negotiated price + TTL and doc fees. I lost one battle with the dealership but won the war IMO. I got a great truck at a good price.

saylor

Reaction score
Mopar Electronic Vehicle Tracking System$995.00
Wheel Locks$295.00
Tint$495.00
Nitrogen$115.00
Resistol$695.00

^^ rockwall dodge addons they wont come off of. and all this is tacked on after their internet price when you are sittin there doing the deal.

i went to i20 dodge in canton no BS sale.

FastBlackRam

Reaction score
Mine bought at Greenway in Orlando had an add on for "tint" I dont remember how much or which windows were tinted. I suspect it was the front driver and passenger. Since I wasnt very familiar with the trucks at the time I didnt notice any additional tint if there was some. I told them to either take it off the price or peel off whatever tint they added and take it off the price. It ended up off the price but I have no idea if they peeled it off or just took it off the price or both. There is no additional tint anywhere that I can see.

Users who are viewing this thread