5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is this? Obd2

Fairpark343

Reaction score
I just picked my my 2020 Laramie 3500 Night edition. I noticed a cable kind of hanging near the hood release. The cable is wired into the back of the OBD2 connector and even has its own fuse.

Attachments

• B3800156-3A81-49DA-B2A5-1DB1B6D84E2F.jpeg
    B3800156-3A81-49DA-B2A5-1DB1B6D84E2F.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 174
  • 4C323691-87D9-4F26-873C-B88B53B39D9B.jpeg
    4C323691-87D9-4F26-873C-B88B53B39D9B.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 172

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm going to guess tracking device. Some times lender's require the dealer to install based on risk. Especially since they blacked out label, would have been easier to peel off. Lol...

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Fairpark343

Reaction score
I'm going to guess tracking device. Some times lender's require the dealer to install based on risk. Especially since they blacked out label, would have been easier to peel off. Lol...

I blacked out unit identifying number. Some kind of tracker is what what I was thinking also. Sirius guardian possibly. I guess it could have been the lender also. Seems kinda cheap.

securityguy

Legendary member
Reaction score
I blacked out unit identifying number. Some kind of tracker is what what I was thinking also. Sirius guardian possibly. I guess it could have been the lender also. Seems kinda cheap.
If you want to know what something is, then don't black out the label ;) It has nothing to do with Sirius. @dts828 may be correct on the tracker. I'd pull it out and call it a day!

Fairpark343

Reaction score
No way and not sirius guardian. That install hack job is definitely aftermarket. Rip it out as @securityguy recommended. If it is a tracker they usually try to hide it a little better.

You guys are correct. It is after market. I took it out and everything with the Uconnect works fine. I just don’t understand why it was put on. I bought the truck brand new, the dealer had to put it one for some reason. It is a remote start/lock control unit. Just doesn’t make sense.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You guys are correct. It is after market. I took it out and everything with the Uconnect works fine. I just don’t understand why it was put on. I bought the truck brand new, the dealer had to put it one for some reason. It is a remote start/lock control unit. Just doesn’t make sense.
Could be they installed for someone with shaky credit per finance companies request and the deal ended up falling through and they never removed it prior to you taking delivery.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked my my 2020 Laramie 3500 Night edition. I noticed a cable kind of hanging near the hood release. The cable is wired into the back of the OBD2 connector and even has its own fuse.
Other side looks like this?
Aa9XEKi.jpg

If so, that’s the car link add-on for aftermarket remote start. It allows you to use a phone app to remote start the truck.

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That would be cool if carlink was installed but harder to activate with the label blacked out. .

@Fairpark343 Was the device just wired into 12v&Ground or was it also plugged into another module. The carlink can also be used as a standalone GPS device. Hit the lock button 3 times and see if the truck starts that would confirm the weather the truck has aftermarket remote start.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That would be cool if carlink was installed but harder to activate with the label blacked out. .

@Fairpark343 Was the device just wired into 12v&Ground or was it also plugged into another module. The carlink can also be used as a standalone GPS device. Hit the lock button 3 times and see if the truck starts that would confirm the weather the truck has aftermarket remote start.

I’m guessing it’s original intention was gps only since he said it was wired into the back of the OBD. There’s usually a stand alone S/N sticker that gets put on the customer card for activation, but hopefully they stuck it to the unit. It’s worth selling to someone that’ll use it in combo with a remote start unit for the phone app.

tyromeo55

Reaction score
GPS tracking device. Hooks into the OBD for power and to tell if and when the truck is moving. Can also disable the truck too. That Sticker should have an IMEI number on it for Cell activation

Fairpark343

Reaction score
GPS tracking device. Hooks into the OBD for power and to tell if and when the truck is moving. Can also disable the truck too. That Sticker should have an IMEI number on it for Cell activation
It does have a device id, I blacked that out in the photo of security reasons lol. Im paranoid.

Update. I contacted the dealer about this. When I test drove the truck it was not installed. I was the first person to even drive this truck. Its is tracking for a aftermarket "TheftPatrol" software the dealership gives to returning customers as a gift. Kind of a lame thank you gift but they paid for a 5yr subscription. Ive never heard of a dealership doing such a thing. I criticized the techs install of theft tracking device. They transferred the access to the unit over to me, it just took a few day. Thank you everyone for your input!

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score

It does have a device id, I blacked that out in the photo of security reasons lol. Im paranoid.

Update. I contacted the dealer about this. When I test drove the truck it was not installed. I was the first person to even drive this truck. Its is tracking for a aftermarket "TheftPatrol" software the dealership gives to returning customers as a gift. Kind of a lame thank you gift but they paid for a 5yr subscription. Ive never heard of a dealership doing such a thing. I criticized the techs install of theft tracking device. They transferred the access to the unit over to me, it just took a few day. Thank you everyone for your input!
Yeah, a ”gift” from the dealer. Hmmmno. This is just a tracking device they put in trucks to track you. Plain and simple. Otherwise, why would they forget to tell you about it?

Glad you got it sorted out, but I would leave it out. No way to tell if they have access rights or a backdoor to track your whereabouts.

HitmanHugh

Reaction score
Creepy, why would a dealership want to know where you're going? Actually thinking about it's probably to refute service if you took it off-roading or something.

Rambler95

Reaction score
Glad I found this. I just bought a 19 1500 a week and a half ago, and this exact thing fell onto my feet while driving. At least your dealer zip tied it. Definitely keeping it out and probably in the trash.

Users who are viewing this thread