5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

what is this for?

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Strange that mine wouldn't go up or down with the hood open. Our current 2020 Limited won't either.

It's easy to know the answer after Jimmy already explained what it's for. :ROFLMAO:

IDK about yours.
I know mine does because when I wash it, I raise it to OR2 so I can clean the wheel wells but I also pop the hood so I can wash the engine compartment later. Once I've cleaned the wheels and the wheel wells, I then lower the truck with the hood un latched to make washing the roof, engine compartment and hood easier. I do usually have to open and close a door to "wake the truck up" to lower in to entry exit but the hood is always open.

This is the process I use every single time I was my truck.
another note, it will raise the truck with the door open but will not lower the truck with a door open. It will also not lower the truck if the running boards are manually deployed. I've seen others claim that their's will lower with the RB's deployed but mine nor my neighbors 20 limited will

6of36

Reaction score
It's really to help save on weight so trucks sold with 3.21 gears can pull themselves up the on ramp.
Give it up with the 3.92 already. Total BS. I can hit 80 MPH towing my 5,000 lb boat by the end of the ramp. I didn't buy the truck to drag race anyway. Absolutely no need for a 3.92 unless hauling 8,000 lbs.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
IDK about yours.
I know mine does because when I wash it, I raise it to OR2 so I can clean the wheel wells but I also pop the hood so I can wash the engine compartment later. Once I've cleaned the wheels and the wheel wells, I then lower the truck with the hood un latched to make washing the roof, engine compartment and hood easier. I do usually have to open and close a door to "wake the truck up" to lower in to entry exit but the hood is always open.

This is the process I use every single time I was my truck.
another note, it will raise the truck with the door open but will not lower the truck with a door open. It will also not lower the truck if the running boards are manually deployed. I've seen others claim that their's will lower with the RB's deployed but mine nor my neighbors 20 limited will
Mine is the same as far as doors and running boards go. Not sure what's up with the hood difference though. First time I found that out was during an oil change. I raise the suspension to OR2 so I don't have to use a jack. Once I forgot to raise the truck and had already opened the hood when I was trying to raise it, and it wouldn't go up until I closed the hood. Because I was curious I tried lowering it with the hood open after the oil change and it wouldn't go down until I closed the hood.

BowDown

Reaction score
Mine is the same as far as doors and running boards go. Not sure what's up with the hood difference though. First time I found that out was during an oil change. I raise the suspension to OR2 so I don't have to use a jack. Once I forgot to raise the truck and had already opened the hood when I was trying to raise it, and it wouldn't go up until I closed the hood. Because I was curious I tried lowering it with the hood open after the oil change and it wouldn't go down until I closed the hood.

Let me clarify as this make make the difference, I popped the hood but didn't open it. Some have said that the hood open/closed sensor is in the hood hinge itself, that may be the difference.
My steps are open the door, pop the hood then ignition to run then OR2. Never doesn't raise, I do the same for oil changes then lower once I'm done underneath to add oil thru the fill cap. It does lower with the hood open. I believe I've raised it with the hood open as well

Last edited:

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
Give it up with the 3.92 already. Total BS. I can hit 80 MPH towing my 5,000 lb boat by the end of the ramp. I didn't buy the truck to drag race anyway. Absolutely no need for a 3.92 unless hauling 8,000 lbs.
Those mushrooms will have you believing anything! 😆🤣

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Question.

If you have both switches (like I do with eTorque and remote start), you will likely have the following two entries in your config file.

Hood Ajar Switch State: Not Ajar
Right Hood Ajar Switch State: Not Ajar

You might also have two of the same entries for the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) hood ajar monitoring, I assume one is for each switch and VTA can monitor both.

In my config file (under CBC Features), I have this (both of these):

Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Hood Ajar Monitoring: Yes

And….

Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Hood Ajar Monitoring: No

My alarm does not go off when I open the hood (with alarm activated of course and keys far away).

I have tried setting both of these settings to yes. I was able to set one to yes. AlfaOBD can see both, but when I try to change the other setting to yes, the app tells me it is already set to yes.

I’ve asked Alexey (the AlfaOBD developer) for help setting the second setting to yes, but he has not replied.

I have confirmed with at least one other member that his similarly configured truck will not sound the alarm when he opens the hood.

Anyone else have similar settings or behavior with the VTA not going off when the hood is opened?

Any ideas how I can get the second VTA hood ajar monitoring CBC feature setting to yes?

Last edited:

22Ram1500InAR

Reaction score
Question.

If you have both switches (like I do with eTorque and remote start), you will likely have the following two entries in your config file.

Hood Ajar Switch State: Not Ajar
Right Hood Ajar Switch State: Not Ajar

You might also have two of the same entries for the Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) hood ajar monitoring, I assume one is for each switch and VTA can monitor both.

In my config file (under CBC Features), I have this (both of these):

Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Hood Ajar Monitoring: Yes

And….

Vehicle Theft Alarm (VTA) Hood Ajar Monitoring: No

My alarm does not go off when I open the hood (with alarm activated of course and keys far away).

I have tried setting both of these settings to yes. I was able to set one to yes. AlfaOBD can see both, but when I try to change the other setting to yes, the app tells me it is already set to yes.

I’ve asked Alexey (the AlfaOBD developer) for help setting the second setting to yes, but he has not replied.

I have confirmed with at least one other member that his similarly configured truck will not sound the alarm when he opens the hood.

Anyone else have similar settings or behavior with the VTA not going off when the hood is opened?

Any ideas how I can get the second VTA hood ajar monitoring CBC feature setting to yes?

FYI--I have a response from Alexey (the AlfaOBD developer) and a fix. I will install the fix and test sometime this week.

Users who are viewing this thread