5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the estimated longevity of the Pentastar V6?

SpikeMike

Reaction score
My Cousin has a 2020 Laramie 3.6 2WD Crew and he averaging 23-26mpg on the highway. 20mps seems really low.

I owned a 2014 Crew 2WD 3.6 with 3.55 gears a few years back and I would see about 17.5 in the city and about 23-24 on the highway.
yep. I think something is wrong with mine. Whenever I raise this to the dealer, they just say that's just how it goes. I think the cruise control is to blame. I believe the cruise control is too controlling. Whenever I use cruise, the truck has a slight shudder like something is holding it back. It feels like the cruise control is holding too tight of a tolerance to the mph setting. Sometimes the shudder is a little worse than other times. Raised to the dealer, but no result so far.

Today on my way to work, all highway, my mpg is showing 17mpg.

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
my engine oil cooler assy just went out at 27,000 miles on my 2019 V6 with etorque. luckily it's under warranty otherwise big $$$, but very concern about future reliability. Also side mirrors replaced since they malfunctioned. First time Ram owner...should of believed the historical quality issues!
:rolleyes:

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
yep. I think something is wrong with mine. Whenever I raise this to the dealer, they just say that's just how it goes. I think the cruise control is to blame. I believe the cruise control is too controlling. Whenever I use cruise, the truck has a slight shudder like something is holding it back. It feels like the cruise control is holding too tight of a tolerance to the mph setting. Sometimes the shudder is a little worse than other times. Raised to the dealer, but no result so far.

Today on my way to work, all highway, my mpg is showing 17mpg.
17mpg highway is really low for a 3.6(in stock specifications) My 5.7 will get 18-20 on the highway at about 70-75mph. If average 55-60mph it will average about 21-23mpg

KeithStone76

Reaction score
17mpg highway is really low for a 3.6(in stock specifications) My 5.7 will get 18-20 on the highway at about 70-75mph. If average 55-60mph it will average about 21-23mpg
Not with winter blend gas and cold temperatures. It was -17 F on my way to work this morning and the computer gave me an average of 17.3. 70mph. In the summer I can drive the same route and same speed and get around 24 mpg.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

stormcom

Reaction score
If you take care of it, it will take care of you. If you drive it into the ditch, you will be left in the ditch. The hemi lifter issues have me snakebit. I traded in my 2021 Limited and bought a 7k mi. big horn with 7k miles. I put in the 12" radio and am on the prowl for a reasonably priced laramie front seats. Change oil regularly and do your maintenance, it will give you lots of good miles.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 2014 Big Horn 1500 Crew Cab with the V6. I have over 420,000 miles on it. They didn't have the eTorque back when I bought it new in Feb 2014. I had one problem with the engine but it was covered under the warranty. The lifters were sticking and making a small noise at about 94,000 miles. No issues since then. I just ordered a new Ram and stuck with the V6.

Last edited:

Drivinfast247

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Big Horn 1500 Crew Cab with the V6. I have over 420,000 miles on it. They didn't have the eTorque back when I bought it new in Feb 2014. I had one problem with the engine but it was covered under the warranty. The lifters were sticking and making a small noise at about 94,000 miles. No issues since then. I just ordered a new Ram with and stuck with the V6.
Dang!

Moosefire66

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Big Horn 1500 Crew Cab with the V6. I have over 420,000 miles on it. They didn't have the eTorque back when I bought it new in Feb 2014. I had one problem with the engine but it was covered under the warranty. The lifters were sticking and making a small noise at about 94,000 miles. No issues since then. I just ordered a new Ram with and stuck with the V6.
50,000 miles a year?!? What do you do???

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

mophead

Reaction score
Pulled a 3500# or so bass boat around with these: 2000 2500 5.9 6 speed 4:10 - pulled pretty good 7-9 mpg (heavy foot), saw the small mountains in western MD, was surprised but it was working hard. 2012 2500 Hemi 6 speed 4:10 - pulled decent needed to stick your foot in it to get it to go, 10- 12 mpg. 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland with air suspension so auto leveling and helped in turns 3.5 with 8 speed - worked a bit but the close gears helped a lot, 12 -14 mpg overall less work driving it as it always had the right gear. Hilly but no mountains ever. Very impressed and pleased overall. I did worry ( maybe borderline over worry) about the tranny holding up, especially with $5000-$9000 repair rumors, but never had a problem. Considering a 3.5 for the 1500 for the gas mileage. Like you not too sure about the eTorque.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
50,000 miles a year?!? What do you do???

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk
I am a law enforcement officer. I have a very long commute. I moved away from where I work to have more land and a bigger house with less taxes and ended up spending the tax savings on gas. I have a VW passat that gets 38 mpg so I commute in that now. The new truck will be my "day-off" vehicle.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Because for most people the real world mpg isn’t that much more, and resale is lower.

Every engine can have its quirks. My fathers newer jeep with the same engine m had its lifters replaced and then a year later had its head replaced due to misfires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KeithStone76

Reaction score
Looking at the Tracker spreadsheet, i noticed there is not much love for the V6. Very few ordered with that engine.
I love the Pentastar. I'll most likely be getting another when it's time. Probably within the next year or so. I have 103k miles on my 2017 right now and no engine issues at all. Some oil cooler stuff but other than that it's been great.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

afphinfan

Reaction score
Because for most people the real world mpg isn’t that much more, and resale is lower.

Every engine can have its quirks. My fathers newer jeep with the same engine m had its lifters replaced and then a year later had its head replaced due to misfires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
All my friends that laughed when I got a used 2020 with a Pentastar v6 because they all get at least 19mpg with a Hemi are now envious of the fact that I get 22+ mpg with mine no matter how I drive it (unless towing). Very happy with this engine and at 86k miles there have been zero problems.

MidnightExpre$$

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All my friends that laughed when I got a used 2020 with a Pentastar v6 because they all get at least 19mpg with a Hemi are now envious of the fact that I get 22+ mpg with mine no matter how I drive it (unless towing). Very happy with this engine and at 86k miles there have been zero problems.
Over the 400,000+ miles I put on my V6 Ram, I have averaged more than 23 mpg and on some trips I have hit 27+ mpg

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I special ordered a 2014 outdoorsman with the pentastar, that was the first year they put it in the Ram. I was very impressed with it and if I didn’t need to to tow I would absolutely consider one.

in fact I am considering finding a used one to us as a daily driver. I think they did a great job with that combo. I’m intrigued by the new one with the etorque. I can see having a greater effect on the V6 than on the hemi

mophead

Reaction score
From the article:
"That leaves the 3.6 V6, which again is replaced by the GME 2.0 turbo (dubbed Tornado, but for whatever reason not marketed under that name). The GME 2T is still in the ramp-up phase in Indiana, and it may take some time for the 3.6 to leave the Wrangler, Gladiator, Pacifica, ProMaster, 300, Charger, Challenger, Grand Cherokee, and Ram 1500. That said, while it has been an excellent engine overall, it will likely not see the year 2030."

Last edited:

brentwasham

Reaction score
There is a YouTube video of a 3.6L teardown in a delivery van. It had 400,000 miles and hardly any bearing wear and cylinder bore factory cross-hatching still showing . The timing chain tensioners and plastic guides wore out causing it to skip a cog, which prompted the teardown. With that kind of durability the new engines coming will really have to prove themselves. I have a 2013 Tradesman with the 3.6L, no problems but only 85K miles. Love the power train. Wish I could say the same for the rest of the truck. Recently spent $2500 on new electric rack and pinion, brakes and upper control arms due to worn out ball joints. My 2002 Ram with 4.7L V8/5-speed manual was much more durable, sold it after 13 years with 140K miles, climate control systems being the only problem area. Front end lasted to about that point, as well. These newer models are much more fussy.

Users who are viewing this thread