5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is the estimated longevity of the Pentastar V6?

JimKIII

Reaction score
When I buy a vehicle, I usually keep it until it either rots or nickle-and-dimes me to death. As seen from my signature, I've got ~290,000 miles on my 2004 Dakota, which I bought new. Lots of normal replacement parts over the years, but no major engine problems; just clutches, radiators, tires, water pumps, front bearings, brakes, regular oil changes (synthetic of course), etc - and it's still smooth driving.

Anyway, this truck won't last forever and I'm getting a bit tired of using a clutch as I'm creeping near 70yr old - ha ha. So I'm looking to eventually replace it with a Dodge 1500 4x4 crew cab, towing and off-road pkgs with 6'4" bed. I'll be towing a small travel trailer sometimes throughout the Pacific Northwest with lots of mountains and lots of flat farm land, too. My main question is which engine to get; the 3.6L v6 (with 3.55 rear end) or the 5.7L hemi. I'm leaning toward the 3.6 because I'm mainly looking for good mileage and don't like the idea of needing to use higher octane fuel with the hemi. But, I'm not familiar at all with the e-torque system other than reading lots of posts on this forum. For the 2021 trucks, at least when using the ramtrucks build page, one can't choose the 3.6 and 5.7 without e-torque (I don't want the diesel).

Since I plan on keeping this new truck for years and lots of miles, is there enough long-term data on the 3.6L engine to state that, with proper maintenance and the creek don't rise, the 3.6L will/can last for 2-300,000 miles? I know the hemi can last that long, but not sure about these new-fangled e-torque rigs. Any thoughts are appreciated.

A couple of questions do come to mind:
1. What happens when the 48-volt battery goes belly up; cost, availability, etc.?
2. Is it true that the only engine available for the 2021 1500s without e-torque is the 3.0L diesel?

afphinfan

Reaction score
My 3.6l has 76k miles in a very short amount of time. Normal maintenance records from first owner. So far easy stuff. In research seems to hold up very well. The etorque is good so far.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't speak to the etorque longevity because it is too new but it is not integral to the engine really, justvreplaces the alternator and is covered by the longer emissions warranty as I understand it. As for the pentastar 3.6 it is a very reliable and proven engine that has been in multiple products across Ram, Jeep, Dodge vehicles. It is used extensively in the law enforcement challenger and has been in the minivans for a long time so I would say it is even a better bet than the hemi. I had a 2014 quad cab with the earlier non etorque and it was a great daily driver and also did very well with towing within it's ratings and I had the 3.21 so with the 3.55 I think it would be good if you're staying around 5,000 towing.

All that said you couldn't get the V6 with a crew cab and the long box in 2019 so I switched to the hemi as I wanted both - if that has changed I'd consider it.

GKIII

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 3.6 has always had the eTorque on the 5th gens, though you should still be able to get a non-etorque in a 5.7.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Haven't heard many issues with the etorque. It's pretty much a fancy stop/start system that is incredibly smooth. It's not nearly as complicated as a full on hybrid system.

How much does your TT weigh?

JimKIII

Reaction score
Haven't heard many issues with the etorque. It's pretty much a fancy stop/start system that is incredibly smooth. It's not nearly as complicated as a full on hybrid system.

How much does your TT weigh?
Haven't got the TT yet, but will get one that falls below the max-towing specs of whatever truck I end up with. :)

JimKIII

Reaction score
Using the ramtrucks build page, I see that I can get the 1500 Classic version with a 3.6L without the e-torque set up. And the Warlock style can be had with the all-terrain, protection, and trailer-tow packages. That looks to be the configuration for me that will supply a bit of off-road and towing capabilities; skid plates, anti-spin 3.55 rear axle, etc. AND, I won't have to deal with that e-torque stuff; the less new technology the better for me. Now the only thing I have to grit my teeth on is the silly rotary shifter. What was Dodge thinking of - this is a truck for God's sake!! :cool:

1lowcab

Reaction score
Now the only thing I have to grit my teeth on is the silly rotary shifter. What was Dodge thinking of - this is a truck for God's sake!! :cool:

You know, I thought the same thing when I first looked at them. But now I kinda dig mine.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
We have a 2015 grand Cherokee with the 3.6. 110,000 miles on it and not had one issue. It’s a fantastic engine, and a great choice for what you’re looking for. If you want reliable go with that warlock you’ll be happy as a clam

in 2014 I ordered a Ram 1500 outdoorsman with the 3.6 the first year they were available and I was extremely impressed with it.

Marinevb1986

Reaction score
I have a 2014 Outdoorsman with the V6 and 3:55 rear end. I have a 2” level run 275/65/20 tires. I average 19-20 mpg around town and 24-26 hwy unloaded. I pulled a car on a car trailer ( approx combined weight 5200lbs) from Washington state to Phoenix with no problems whatsoever. I love the V6. It’s a very capable and bulletproof engine IMO. It will never pull like a hemi or sound like a hemi but I think it will serve your purpose very well and I think you’ll be very pleased with it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Using the ramtrucks build page, I see that I can get the 1500 Classic version with a 3.6L without the e-torque set up. And the Warlock style can be had with the all-terrain, protection, and trailer-tow packages. That looks to be the configuration for me that will supply a bit of off-road and towing capabilities; skid plates, anti-spin 3.55 rear axle, etc. AND, I won't have to deal with that e-torque stuff; the less new technology the better for me. Now the only thing I have to grit my teeth on is the silly rotary shifter. What was Dodge thinking of - this is a truck for God's sake!! :cool:
You'll like the rotary shifter when you realize how much space of frees up in the centre console.

afphinfan

Reaction score
I thought I’d hate the rotary dial but man, the console space is awesome. Never liked column shifters, and console space for an automatic is crazy. Now a manual shifter would be great but those have all but gone away

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To be honest, towing a load in the mountains is going to work that little v6 and will probably not get you any better MPG. You may want to rent one first and try it to see if you'd be happy, I know I wasn't (but that was the same v6 with a 5 speed instead of 8, but still, engine doesn't have a lot of grunt down low and you will be hearing it sing the entire trip)

bud007

Reaction score
JimKill i agree with what silver billet said about towing in the mountains , i saw a good video , i think this is it
about how the V6 does against the Hemi while towing in the mountains , it will give you some idea at least .
Also if you go to the Ram build page and you upgrade to a 2021 Laramie ( i know they are not building them anymore , at least i dont think you can order one anymore ) you can still get the Hemi without the Etorque (not sure if it will stay that way for 2022 , but when they upgrade the page to 2022 you might be able to order the Hemi by itself.
my truck has the Hemi Etorque and to be honest if i had to pick , i probably would go with just the plain Hemi. good luck

JimD007

Reaction score
I really like my 2019 Tradesman Classic crew cab with the V6. I am averaging just over 22 mpg of mostly city driving. It doesn't have etorque. It should be possible to take that thing off if it started giving you trouble but the integration of computers into vehicles have made many things more difficult. I would try to buy one without it.

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I really like my 2019 Tradesman Classic crew cab with the V6. I am averaging just over 22 mpg of mostly city driving. It doesn't have etorque. It should be possible to take that thing off if it started giving you trouble but the integration of computers into vehicles have made many things more difficult. I would try to buy one without it.
There's hundreds of thousands of trucks running e torque with very few problems reported. I wouldn't be worried.

Smerberj

Reaction score
With proper maintenance the 3.6L will EASILY achieve 200 - 300,000 miles with no major repairs. Only thing I know that is a weak point for these engines is the radiator, and that was for the 3.6L in the Jeep.

Users who are viewing this thread