5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is Known about the Bed Utility Group Options

Marusho

Reaction score
(This post is not primarily about the Mopar accessory tubular bed extender.) - updated August 27, 2018 - see tail end of post

* There are 4 features that are mentioned in various places: Cargo Hooks, Lighting, Cargo Divider, Bedliner

* The price as of today is either $445 for trucks with an included bedliner, or $895 for trucks without standard bedliner. Other prices I have on documents from my dealer on the day I ordered my Longhorn with Rambox (May 10, 2018) were $395 and $495.

* All sources agree that Cargo Hooks and Lighting are part of the option, and that the Bedliner is included for models without standard bedliners. The inconsistencies center around the documentation for the apparatus that fits across the bed.

* This apparatus is described variously as "Bed Divider", "Bed Extender" and "Cargo Extender/Divider"

* In Edition 3 (4/10/18) of the User Guide it is the "Bed Extender" and said to have 3 positions: Storage, Divider and Extender.

* In Edition 5 (7/10/18) of the User Guide it is the "Bed Divider" and said to have 2 positions: Storage and Divider.

* In Edition 3 (7/10/18) of the Quick Reference Guide it is also the "Bed Divider" and said to have 2 positions: Storage and Divider.

* In Edition 3 (4/10/18) of the Owners Manual, under the heading "RAMBOX -- IF EQUIPPED" the (Cargo Management system includes) . . . "Cargo Extender / Divider". Later in this manual under the heading "Bed Extender -- If Equipped" the 3 positions are described in detail. It appears that the "Bed Extender. . ." heading is not meant to be a sub-heading under "RAMBOX", but my best guess is that is should be, since I believe there is no such thing as a Divider for non-Rambox-equipped trucks. . .However, there is more below on this subject.

* I do not have a later edition of the Owners Manual pdf, but I feel certain there is a 7/10/18 version out there, and I'd wager that it has also been redacted.

* Using Build-and-Price on a Laramie model (without standard bedliner, and without the RamBox option), the description available during the build includes a "Divider", but even though the image displayed during the summary shows a Divider, the feature is omitted from the summary text.

* Using Build-and-Price on a Longhorn model (with standard bedliner), the cost is $445 when the RamBox is also ordered, and includes the Divider. HOWEVER, the cost remains the same with no Rambox option selected, though clearly you get only the hooks and lights, but no Divider. This is odd and could be a pricing error on the website. After all the image displayed when no Rambox is ordered, still shows a Rambox and a Divider, which is clearly a coding error.

CONCLUSION: The mystery is, "why was the douementation scrubbed of references to the "Extender" function when it was updated in July? This is very obviously a consistent effort, not a clerical error. We know that at least one recently-delivered truck, the Canadian Limited described by member SGK, was built with an anatomically-correct Extender / Divider.

(I have no Ram truck, only a factory order dated May 10, 2018, so I'm busying myself trying to understand what I bought.)

August 27, 2018 Addendum

I am gratified that contributors to this thread have been disciplined and stuck to the subject. We are getting closer to the truth about the BUG.

As I now understand it (and after 109 days I have no actual truck to look at), the extender/divider itself is unchanged, but the pins that secure it to the truck in the extender position have been replaced with plugs; this despite the fact that the engineering is taken from previous years. Here's why I am disappointed in this, in a series of "gotchas" that have surfaced this summer: I like to haul a motorcycle. Many motorcycles will fit in a standard bed with the tailgate closed, but few can ride in a short bed without the tailgate open. The front tire of a motorcycle is wedged against the front of the bed and the rear end hangs out, but the center of the rear tire is still within the bed, so all is secure. If you have the bulky "divider/extender", you cannot leave it stowed against the front of the bed if a tire is going to be pressing against it. Besides, leaving it in place shortens the already-short bed further. By deploying it in the extender position it is both out of the way and serves to tame the bouncing tailgate. There are few types of cargo that one would actually shove against the extender - perhaps a load of assorted furniture but definitely not a vehicle, since the odds of finding one of the exact length are zero. Since this is old tech (at least dating to 2013), I am baffled at why the 2019 cannot continue this tried-and-true option?? If only there were someone at the company who could liason between us and the development team.

Moving right along to the (non-Rambox-equipped) Mopar bed extender accessory, which I had hoped to keep separate from this thread (but now see that this is a good place to throw it in), I wonder if any 2019 owner actually has one? It would be a shame if someone paid $300 for one to find that it didn't really fit the 2019. Perhaps you'd like to download the instructions for installation from Mopar to see if there may be problems? Sorry, the PDF instructions are a dead link.

When somebody cracks the question of "can you just order the pins (or get them in a junkyard) and use the extender function?" this thread would be a great place to post the part numbers, cost, etc. OR the reason it cannot be done.

Last edited:

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. I hope you're not on to something as I'm planning on getting the RamBox divider/extender as featured at the Houston Auto Show. If they sub in a new divider only I shall be very put out.

y4mcENz_88UE7vqPXSBlsxEiKZ7sui57pSC5GXJuw42rV1CCTc8Rvu8Y9ZIt3TaDYc4KxcxHnL-1S5zV14KhoE8ywy3TwHwp30GZwOJVuKrfweBcj0u2NJwAto3-7p2ncd3fI7188jdJTlTUAH5Op3cwQsqt7hiRGPQml_D81ExJ3Hlgtv8bzcOHa2_EXglNB8JFyUJb6XadZMkq8bgbVNwpA

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
* The price as of today is either $445 for trucks with an included bedliner, or $895 for trucks without standard bedliner. Other prices I have on documents from my dealer on the day I ordered my Longhorn with Rambox (May 10, 2018) were $395 and $495.
I also have $545 on one of my forms.

ponypride

Reaction score
Interesting. I hope you're not on to something as I'm planning on getting the RamBox divider/extender as featured at the Houston Auto Show. If they sub in a new divider only I shall be very put out.

y4mcENz_88UE7vqPXSBlsxEiKZ7sui57pSC5GXJuw42rV1CCTc8Rvu8Y9ZIt3TaDYc4KxcxHnL-1S5zV14KhoE8ywy3TwHwp30GZwOJVuKrfweBcj0u2NJwAto3-7p2ncd3fI7188jdJTlTUAH5Op3cwQsqt7hiRGPQml_D81ExJ3Hlgtv8bzcOHa2_EXglNB8JFyUJb6XadZMkq8bgbVNwpA
So is the ribbing in your picture that the divider fits into specific to the bed utility group. The reason I ask is that you do not see the wheel wells. I like that and ordered the BUG from the factory and am hoping it comes in that way.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
At the moment I'm questioning things since @Douglas31 got the rails and divider without ordering the BUG which I can't explain but the sides as you see them are part of every RamBox build to the best of my knowledge. For 2019 Ram split out the rails and divider to the BUG to lower the RamBox entry cost.

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The BUG is really hard to nail down as a customer, silly really. You didn’t even mention the bed step, which according to the Ram brochure is supposed to come with all BUGs (Rambox or not) but it is claimed to be “late availability” so up until now no one has been getting them unfortunately. Great feature, Ram showed it off... how come it is so hard to bolt on for the new owners I wonder?

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The BUG is really hard to nail down as a customer, silly really. You didn’t even mention the bed step, which according to the Ram brochure is supposed to come with all BUGs (Rambox or not) but it is claimed to be “late availability” so up until now no one has been getting them unfortunately. Great feature, Ram showed it off... how come it is so hard to bolt on for the new owners I wonder?
So if its not on the current ones people are receiving, will they have to go back in and have it put on once its available? They surely don't miss out entirely just because they got their trucks first, right?

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
So if its not on the current ones people are receiving, will they have to go back in and have it put on once its available? They surely don't miss out entirely just because they got their trucks first, right?
A dealer or salesperson could answer with some authority, but the way it seems to work is you don’t get “late availability” items (eg bed step) if you order early but the option (eg BUG) starts cheaper too. Eventually when the item is available, the option price goes up... so no they won’t give it to the earlier owners since they didn’t pay the higher cost.

From a customer standpoint though this scheme just doesn’t feel right... but this is how I understand Ram’s policy is regarding their late items.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
A dealer or salesperson could answer with some authority, but the way it seems to work is you don’t get “late availability” items (eg bed step) if you order early but the option (eg BUG) starts cheaper too. Eventually when the item is available, the option price goes up... so no they won’t give it to the earlier owners since they didn’t pay the higher cost.

From a customer standpoint though this scheme just doesn’t feel right... but this is how I understand Ram’s policy is regarding their late items.
What if the price went up three times while I was in the process of being quoted and ordered? Am I getting something for that extra money? ($395/445/545)

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I paid $200cdn ($5 american,lol) and got the tiedown rails, led bed lights and spray in bedliner. A fair value.

Anything over $400 seems pricey if you're not getting anything else.

Douglas31

Reaction score
At the moment I'm questioning things since @Douglas31 got the rails and divider without ordering the BUG which I can't explain but the sides as you see them are part of every RamBox build to the best of my knowledge. For 2019 Ram split out the rails and divider to the BUG to lower the RamBox entry cost.
The addendum I received also just shows it being used as a divider and not an extender. I wonder why the change?

ponypride

Reaction score
I believe the bed extender is a separate piece that is curved and sits in the bed and then can be flipped back over the tailgate. It is about $260 and is different than the straight cargo,divider

YoAdrian

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What if the price went up three times while I was in the process of being quoted and ordered? Am I getting something for that extra money? ($395/445/545)
Once you have ordered most dealers honor the pricing for the day you put down the deposit or signed the order contract. If it goes up after you ordered ask them to honor the original order pricing - they ought to!

I paid $200cdn ($5 american,lol) and got the tiedown rails, led bed lights and spray in bedliner. A fair value. Anything over $400 seems pricey if you're not getting anything else.
A pro installed spray in bed liner I think costs much more than $200 CDN no? Sounds like a GREAT value, was that separate from an added spray in liner option? I paid $945 USD (n) upon ordering the BUG after the latest price hike down here...

I believe the bed extender is a separate piece that is curved and sits in the bed and then can be flipped back over the tailgate. It is about $260 and is different than the straight cargo,divider
There are two identically named “bed extenders”... one is the nice looking metal Mopar accessory that has curved bars and flips over (NOT included in any option packages), the other is a plastic divider that also has a special unfolding and latching mechanism designed to mount at the tailgate and angle out as an extender (supposedly included only when ordering Rambox and BUG together).
71A0DAD6-4CA6-4C36-87A4-DBBC14AD16A7.jpeg 87D77129-6748-4509-9EF2-013E271D4789.jpeg
What actually shows up at delivery seems to vary with time though... again, the pricing variations late availability and ambiguity are a tad frustrating and silly from a customer standpoint.

ponypride

Reaction score
Since I ordered the Laramie with the BUG I assume I will not get the divider. I was going to buy the curved extender anyway.

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@YoAdrian, when I ordered in May, the BUG package was listed as exactly what I got, plus the divider was listed as well... dealer commented on "late availability" and I understood the deal, but I know I still got a hell of a deal on the bed lighting, rails and tiedowns and the spray in bedliner. So if and when I need it... I'll buy a divider or the Mopar bed extender and still be ahead! (y)

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Once you have ordered most dealers honor the pricing for the day you put down the deposit or signed the order contract. If it goes up after you ordered ask them to honor the original order pricing - they ought to!

A pro installed spray in bed liner I think costs much more than $200 CDN no? Sounds like a GREAT value, was that separate from an added spray in liner option? I paid $945 USD (n) upon ordering the BUG after the latest price hike down here...

There are two identically named “bed extenders”... one is the nice looking metal Mopar accessory that has curved bars and flips over (NOT included in any option packages), the other is a plastic divider that also has a special unfolding and latching mechanism designed to mount at the tailgate and angle out as an extender (supposedly included only when ordering Rambox and BUG together).
View attachment 2934 View attachment 2935
What actually shows up at delivery seems to vary with time though... again, the pricing variations late availability and ambiguity are a tad frustrating and silly from a customer standpoint.
That metal extender looks great. Price? Availability?

Users who are viewing this thread