5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is keeping Dodge alive?

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The GT350 motor is beautiful, especially what happens when you get to higher RPMS, last one I drove flooring it in first when it hit about 5-6k RPM it was like it warped right to redline at the time, the power delivery is insane and feels like a 1000cc sport bike. That said, the new 5.0 10 speed auto will give a GT350 a run for its money in a drag race. Around a track though the GT350 still has it although the performance pack 2 package on the GT is very nice as well.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am impressed. It is pretty impressive what they have done. I am not much of a car guy in that sense as I am a Mopar guy and to that extent, I am a truck guy.

I take nothing from mustang and camaro. They are great in what they are...they just do not interest me one bit and the sales show that Dodge isn't dying even more, when you do take a step back and look at the competition, which is pretty amazing too.

Kramersp

Reaction score
I hope Dodge doesnt go away. I think they should drop the dead weight from the lineup, add another cool sports car (Cuda?) and shift the Durango to the Ram brand (Ramcharger?) And stop using the ramcharger name on a wireless charging mat.

FLG8R

Reaction score
I am impressed. It is pretty impressive what they have done. I am not much of a car guy in that sense as I am a Mopar guy and to that extent, I am a truck guy.

I take nothing from mustang and camaro. They are great in what they are...they just do not interest me one bit and the sales show that Dodge isn't dying even more, when you do take a step back and look at the competition, which is pretty amazing too.
Had a 2016 Charger Scat Pack and loved every minute of driving it! My last muscle car (here I go showing my age again) was a 1968 R/T Charger with the 440. Took off the Carter Carb and replaced with a Holley and the only thing that could beat me was the Hemi. Fast forward to the Scat Pack, I drove it a year and never got a ticket so I said don't push your luck. I traded it for a 2017 GC Overland to keep my 2016 Ram Sport company. The selling point with the Charger for me was the 4 doors, over 200 inches long and could smoke any other 4 door I ran up against. What they did to it for 2018 bothers me because they took that unique front clip and round tailpipes and installed them on just about every other model. It to me lost its identity with that move. But then again when I think I was driving a car as fast as an SRT in 2016 for $40,000. Not a bad deal at all!

John813

Reaction score
I remember quite a few guys selling their GT500's for the latest and greatest GT350, only to be disappointed in it's lack of torque down low. Add in the tech pak cars overheating quickly, it left a bad taste in some guys mouths.

Dodge is simply milking the outdated Charger and Challenger platforms cause they still sell well and HP numbers sell cars.
707 in a mustang would beat a challenger, but there is no 707 hp mustang out yet.
Dodge, in a prestrike counter move made the 797hp Redeye, which may beat the GT500, whenever it comes out.

Eventually they'll go to a lighter platform and eat the costs that go along with it but they are doing well making money off those two cars. The challenger is a boat, but it's a two door muscle car with actual legroom.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 are one of the only cars I fit in. Plenty of room front and back. I'm 6'8" and most every other car has gotten to be to cramped with big consoles and swooping dashes they just don't work for me. The Durango is a great vehicle that also has a lot of space and great driving dynamics for an SUV.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 are one of the only cars I fit in. Plenty of room front and back. I'm 6'8" and most every other car has gotten to be to cramped with big consoles and swooping dashes they just don't work for me. The Durango is a great vehicle that also has a lot of space and great driving dynamics for an SUV.
A buddy of mine that is 6'-9" was easily able to fit in my MINI Cooper S (2005). That car was such a packaging achievement. But...it was no muscle car ;)

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, the New Volkwagon Beetle is also fits me size but it's not a muscle car either. LOL.

Phoon

Reaction score
The GT350 motor is beautiful, especially what happens when you get to higher RPMS, last one I drove flooring it in first when it hit about 5-6k RPM it was like it warped right to redline at the time, the power delivery is insane and feels like a 1000cc sport bike. That said, the new 5.0 10 speed auto will give a GT350 a run for its money in a drag race. Around a track though the GT350 still has it although the performance pack 2 package on the GT is very nice as well.
The 5.2 voodoo also makes very little torque at low RPM, its a different animal than a hemi of any type supercharged or otherwise. I am glad both exist! The challenger is a little bit different than the camaro and mustang, bigger and a little heavier and more comfortable.(not by as much as people think). Lots of big guys that have challengers cant even fit in camaros.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The 5.2 voodoo also makes very little torque at low RPM, its a different animal than a hemi of any type supercharged or otherwise. I am glad both exist! The challenger is a little bit different than the camaro and mustang, bigger and a little heavier and more comfortable.(not by as much as people think). Lots of big guys that have challengers cant even fit in camaros.

Yep, that's why I compared it to a sport bike engine, had nothing down low with a huge surge up top. The GT350 hasn't been a very impressive straight line car but then again it's a track car and it is good at that.

Kramersp

Reaction score
GT350 (5.2L flat plane crank voodoo) is meant to rev high, stay high, and produce power up high. It's a track car. It's also the only engine with a flat plane crank that you can buy that isnt in an exotic car.

Users who are viewing this thread