5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is keeping Dodge alive?

Kramersp

Reaction score
Was thinking about this the other day when rumors were stewing that Sergio may axe Dodge and Chrysler.

I believe both could be chopped, but Chrysler would be easiest.

Chrysler has a minivan and a super old car. Easy to axe when the sedan market is dwindling along with the minivan.

Dodge is being held afloat simply by engines with a lot of hype. The challenger is a big heavy car based on a sedan platform that is only good at going fast in a straight line. Mustang's and Camero destroy them on the track and keep up with them in a straight line with smaller engines and less power. The Charger is kinda the same story but at least has 4 doors to justify its heft. Both cars are good looking. The Durango could easily be moved to the Ram brand and the little cars are trash.

If they moved the minivan to Dodge, and build the next gen Challenger, Charger and maybe a Cuda on a Alfa Romeo platform to lighten things up while keeping the power it would be interesting.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What is keeping Dodge afloat. Social Media. People are going crazy for what Dodge is offering.

Dodge is performance. They are offering everything every Mopar guy has asked for.

Camaro and Mustang are not destroying them, look to the guys who really track their cars...Mopar is competitive. Go experience the Hellcat thrill ride. Those cars are beat on all day, all weekend...Chevy and ford aren't doing that.

Dodge rules the record books right now.

Check out Moparinsiders.com and you will see, FCA was and is great for Dodge

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And be sure to specifically look at the new scat pack widebody. Gonna be some surprises on the track soon.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
And this weekend is Mopar Heaven in Pennsylvania. Show up there and I think it will be alot clearer...Dodge has done it's heritage well, and has brought a lot of people to this side of the light.

Kramersp

Reaction score
They are big heavy bloated cars that are in desperate need of a new platform. Stop drinking the koolaid

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Kool Aid. Hmm, I guess I would be a consumer of that too.

They are big bloated cars. Another reason why people like them. And they are getting a new platform.

But FCA is making lots off of them, to make even better cars in the future.

Look at the camaro and mustang fiascos. Their fans aren't all happy...they drink the Kool Aid too and even admit it.

Dodge is alive and well, only going to get better.

Here is a test I would like to see...put 4 pepole in a mustang, camaro, challenger, and charger.

See who the winners are at the end of 5 laps on any road coarse.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yet they easily outsell the Camaro.
The Camaro is an incredibly capable vehicle—the ZL1 1LE is just ridiculous—but it lacks the heritage appeal that has been executed so well by Dodge. It's not a car that gets a 12-year-old excited...but a Challenger does. It's possible that the Mustang offers the best balance of design and track performance right now, although the Corvette remains world-class at its price point. I'm ignoring the dragstrip, of course, as Dodge has clearly been targeting that venue ;)

Kramersp

Reaction score
Apples to apples. 2018 models as tested automatic transmissions.
Mustang GT
5.0L 10spd
0-60 3.9sec
Camero SS
6.2L 8spd
0-60 4.1sec
Challenger RT
5.7L 8spd
0-60 5.1sec
Challenger T/A 392
6.4L 8spd
0-60 4.2

Ypu have to start spending stupid money to compete even in a straight line. Bloated car. Heck, the 5.0L is putting down 92hp per liter. If the 5.7L hemi put that out it would have 524hp! If yall want, I can put Camero ZL1 specs up against a hellcat. Or even GT350R specs up to a hellcat.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
The Camaro is an incredibly capable vehicle—the ZL1 1LE is just ridiculous—but it lacks the heritage appeal that has been executed so well by Dodge. It's not a car that gets a 12-year-old excited...but a Challenger does. It's possible that the Mustang offers the best balance of design and track performance right now, although the Corvette remains world-class at its price point. I'm ignoring the dragstrip, of course, as Dodge has clearly been targeting that venue ;)

Agreed, the Camaro is an insanely capable track car now, but it isn't resonating with buyers at all. Especially since the 6th gen came out. I'd also agree that the Mustang probably strikes the best balance and the GT350 is an awesome car, I had one for a few days last year.

Dodge is playing on the Muscle car heritage and it works. I reviewed a 2018 Challenger 392 Scat Pack Shaker for Moparinsiders last month. I was incredibly impressed by the car and the way that it brings back feelings of an old muscle car. Overall it's a little long in the tooth yes, but Dodge is keeping it fresh and desirable with halo models. Smart on their part as most of the tooling is surely paid off on the car by now I bet it's a big profit generator for them, sales keep increasing for the Challenger as well, it's a win win for Dodge.

Dodge has some cool stuff coming down the pipeline and Chrysler will move to more of a people mover brand with what they have coming.

Kramersp

Reaction score
If I was to buy a sedan, it would be a Charger 392. Looks awesome and has great sedan performance. The Challenger is definately a looker, but if I was buying a sports car it would be a Mustang GT (better visibility than the Camero). The Camero SS 1LE is sick.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Apples to apples. 2018 models as tested automatic transmissions.
Mustang GT
5.0L 10spd
0-60 3.9sec
Camero SS
6.2L 8spd
0-60 4.1sec
Challenger RT
5.7L 8spd
0-60 5.1sec
Challenger T/A 392
6.4L 8spd
0-60 4.2

Ypu have to start spending stupid money to compete even in a straight line. Bloated car. Heck, the 5.0L is putting down 92hp per liter. If the 5.7L hemi put that out it would have 524hp! If yall want, I can put Camero ZL1 specs up against a hellcat. Or even GT350R specs up to a hellcat.

Camaro sales last 3 months: 13,588
Challenger sales last 3 months: 19,719
Mustang sales last 3 months: 23,264

The Challenger is closer in sales numbers to the first place Mustang than the last place Camaro is to the Challenger.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have to agree @Kramersp, if I was Buying a sports car the Mustang would be it,

But Mopar doesn't make sports cars it makes Muscle Cars. They have never tried to market the Challenger as a sports car.

You are correct with your comparisons, chevy and ford make some nice cars...but the challenger and charger broadcast to a much larger audience, and from what I hear, the next Gen will be a little closer to that sports car...but still positioned as a Muscle car.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
If I was to buy a sedan, it would be a Charger 392. Looks awesome and has great sedan performance. The Challenger is definately a looker, but if I was buying a sports car it would be a Mustang GT (better visibility than the Camero). The Camero SS 1LE is sick.

The 10 speed auto has made the Mustang GT stupid fast. I can't say anything bad about Mustangs, I've always liked them and have owned about 10.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I have to agree @Kramersp, if I was Buying a sports car the Mustang would be it,

But Mopar doesn't make sports cars it makes Muscle Cars. They have never tried to market the Challenger as a sports car.

You are correct with your comparisons, chevy and ford make some nice cars...but the challenger and charger broadcast to a much larger audience, and from what I hear, the next Gen will be a little closer to that sports car...but still positioned as a Muscle car.

Also very true, I honestly like both cars equally. If I could afford both I would buy both. I know technically they are supposed to be in the same class but I don't think they really compete.

devildodge

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I will admit, I am a Mopar or no car guy.(except for the 73 super beetle we love to cruise in) I can admit that there are shortcomings, and I will admit the list @Kramersp provided showed some info about 0 - 60 times that was surprising.

But, Dodge is going after car guys and after making new ones. Very exciting times if you are a Mopar fan, and a great time to bring your non fans over to see what is cooking.

Good times.

Kramersp

Reaction score
I will admit, I am a Mopar or no car guy.(except for the 73 super beetle we love to cruise in) I can admit that there are shortcomings, and I will admit the list @Kramersp provided showed some info about 0 - 60 times that was surprising.

But, Dodge is going after car guys and after making new ones. Very exciting times if you are a Mopar fan, and a great time to bring your non fans over to see what is cooking.

Good times.
I'm sorry but if you dont like a NA motor that puts out over 100hp per liter and spins to almost 9k RPM (GT350) or a car under $50k that will turn over 1g in a corner (Camero 1LE) then you're not much of a car guy in my opinion. Dodge 6.2L supercharged engines steal all the attention and as a car guy, I love the output but frankly, I'm not SUPER impressed. It's a standard big cube boosted motor on a heavy old platform. I am excited to see the new platform and what it can do with the power numbers.

Users who are viewing this thread