5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is everyone using for stake pocket hole covers

Ram/Tun

Reaction score
Bull Ring is the way to go. They make a low profile stake pocket mounting ring that pushes nicely out of the way when not in use. They are available in chrome or dark chrome. They also come with a router bit to nicely cut out the plastic stake pocket covers that come from the factory. I’ll don’t have a close up, but you can see what they look like in the pics.
Is this 6.4 or 5.7 bed? Curious what 3 fold cover brand is that?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I printed my own, so I wouldn't have to pay $25 for the other 3D printed ones. I didn't bother trying to get them to sit flush as the upper lip is only 1.5mm thick, and I plan on getting a cover soon. Bed lined them so they look more textured like the rails/bed as opposed to the printed lines.

Attachments

• 2020-03-01.jpg
    2020-03-01.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 261

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Bullrings for the win. I cant see paying a similar price for pieces of plastic with no function other than cosmetic.

Bubba33

Reaction score
Bull.ring, I've had them on my last 4 trucks. I have them in the front and back.

eyeguy

Reaction score
Can someone describe or take a picture of how much cutting is needed to get the bull rings to fit.?

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
Can someone describe or take a picture of how much cutting is needed to get the bull rings to fit.?
Just go to the bull ring web site. They have videos there. It's not much cutting involved.

eyeguy

Reaction score
thanks for the link that answered my question. I was thinking this company didn't have support like it does. Ordered front and back tie downs today. Dean

eyeguy

Reaction score
Used the bull rings front and back. I bought the router saw blade and router blade. I imagine it can be done without but if you have a router it makes it pretty easy. One tip save the 'sleeve' that comes out of the rear pockets. The plastic bed rails are elevated above the metal support under them. I tightened up the rear bullring and it bowed the plastic down quite a bit. I then removed it and cut up that plastic sleeve to slide in btw the rail cap the metal support under it. Tin snips worked well to cut it up.

JHRebel

Reaction score
I bought the ones from amazon for the stupid expensive $22 but they fit perfectly and look great so I think they are worth it.

Reaction score
Bullrings for the win. I cant see paying a similar price for pieces of plastic with no function other than cosmetic.

That is what I am having a hard time with. Being in Canada the only place I can get the covers are from ebay or amazon USA site therefore I would have to pay shipping. Now the bull rings I can get from the amazon Canadian site, which affords me the ability to get free shipping. So for me just to show my dilemma, I can get the plastic covers can pay $47CDN (this includes shipping) or I can get the bull rings for $45CDN each (free shipping) ($90cdn total).
Even if I were to compare product price to product price (no shipping), the covers are $31cdn and bull ring $45cdn so for a measly $14cdn more I can get extra tie downs and something made of metal and has more design and tooling work to get a comleted product.

Now I don't need the extra tie downs and I like the fact that the plastic cover gives you a flush mount look. The bull ring does not give you that nice flush mount look, if the bull hook came with a cover that could cover the hook when not in use then it would be a no brainer for me, I would get the bull hook hands down even if I don't anticipate the use of the ring.

I'll probably just pay the money for the plastic peice, even tho it's hard to justify the pricing. As it gives me the look I am after, and since I already have the cargo package with the sliding hooks in my bed I don't really need extra tie downs. I also don't really think I would ever strap something down on my bakflip when I have a truck bed lol.

The other things I worry about the bull hook since there is no cover that hides the hook is
- What grade stainless steel did they use 409, 316 304?? If they used 409 stainless chances are they will rust pretty quick
- Since they are open, how much debris will get down into the holes where the hooks slide up and down? How will this affect performance?
- How well will these work in the winter condition, ice surely will prevent the use of these hooks. If ice forms inside of this will it crack the plastic?

Any thoughts on the questions so the bull rings? I am still debating between the 2, but more persuaded with the more priced piece of plastic much to my dismay

Atlantic Blue

Reaction score
The other things I worry about the bull hook since there is no cover that hides the hook is
- What grade stainless steel did they use 409, 316 304?? If they used 409 stainless chances are they will rust pretty quick
- Since they are open, how much debris will get down into the holes where the hooks slide up and down? How will this affect performance?
- How well will these work in the winter condition, ice surely will prevent the use of these hooks. If ice forms inside of this will it crack the plastic?

Any thoughts on the questions so the bull rings? I am still debating between the 2, but more persuaded with the more priced piece of plastic much to my dismay

I regularly hall tall and or long items. The bullrings really help with tall items as they in effect make your tow straps longer to reach higher. Also easier to access the bullrings when your bed is full.

I've had the plain black ones on my 4th gen and now the flush mount black stainless ones on my 5th Gen now. I've not had any of the issues you have mentioned.

I needed the additional higher mounted tow hooks so it was a no brainer as for me it makes my truck more functional. Plus I couldnt imagine spending similiar money for plain pieces of plastic. I believe you have the cargo management system so you may not need the additional tie downs like I did.

BAKFLIP - I had the bullrings with the backflip on my 4th gen. The factory front bed tie downs are harder to reach and the straps could potentially bind with the bakflip cover when its folded against cab. This is where having the bullring is an advantage especially in the front of the bed.

Doc33

Reaction score
That is what I am having a hard time with. Being in Canada the only place I can get the covers are from ebay or amazon USA site therefore I would have to pay shipping. Now the bull rings I can get from the amazon Canadian site, which affords me the ability to get free shipping. So for me just to show my dilemma, I can get the plastic covers can pay $47CDN (this includes shipping) or I can get the bull rings for $45CDN each (free shipping) ($90cdn total).
Even if I were to compare product price to product price (no shipping), the covers are $31cdn and bull ring $45cdn so for a measly $14cdn more I can get extra tie downs and something made of metal and has more design and tooling work to get a comleted product.

Now I don't need the extra tie downs and I like the fact that the plastic cover gives you a flush mount look. The bull ring does not give you that nice flush mount look, if the bull hook came with a cover that could cover the hook when not in use then it would be a no brainer for me, I would get the bull hook hands down even if I don't anticipate the use of the ring.

I'll probably just pay the money for the plastic peice, even tho it's hard to justify the pricing. As it gives me the look I am after, and since I already have the cargo package with the sliding hooks in my bed I don't really need extra tie downs. I also don't really think I would ever strap something down on my bakflip when I have a truck bed lol.

Fellow Canadian I installed the Bullrings ...part # 5067 and are happy with them. Fit flush but yes no cover. Ordered from Amazon for $52 bucks all in for the pair

Reaction score
Out of pure curiosity, Why do you think the rear stake pocket holes were not covered like the fronts? Or why were the fronts not left open like the rear?

I don’t understand why the manufacture would do that, you would think they would make all 4 stake pockets that same (open or closed) from factory.

I think I have decided to pay the high cost of the plastic caps, as much as it pains me to pay the same amount for a plastic cap compare to a functioning tool like the BullRing, the whole reason for me getting covers to make the back look like the front.

I did email BullRing to see if they had plans on making covers that could “snap” overtop of the retractable ring to hide the ring when not in use. We will see what they say, heck they may even be closed due to the COVID so I guess I’ll wait and see what they say first.

I think if BullRing made a cover to go over the hook when not in use, you’d have the best of both worlds. Flush cover “hiding” the stake pockets when not in used and then a functional tie down point when needed. It could be a simple snap in design that could snap over the ring by ”grabbing the ring”.

Anyhow anyone have has guesses as to why they wouldn’t make the stake pockets designed all the same way either opened or closed?

DarkNight

Reaction score
I printed my own, so I wouldn't have to pay $25 for the other 3D printed ones. I didn't bother trying to get them to sit flush as the upper lip is only 1.5mm thick, and I plan on getting a cover soon. Bed lined them so they look more textured like the rails/bed as opposed to the printed lines.
Care to share the STL file? I have another project I would like to use this for to mount something in the stake hole.

Milazzo

Reaction score
Out of pure curiosity, Why do you think the rear stake pocket holes were not covered like the fronts? Or why were the fronts not left open like the rear?

Anyhow anyone have has guesses as to why they wouldn’t make the stake pockets designed all the same way either opened or closed?

Just bought a brand new 2019 Quad Cab Big Horn 4x4 and wondered the ssme exact thing. Also, I’m surprised as to how few anchors are in the bed.

LamboTexas

Reaction score
I came across Bull Ring who has tie down anchors. Haven't bought them yet myself mainly because you have to cut into the plastic lip with a razor blade, but have been considering it.

It’s extremely easy! Did it 3 Weeks ago-
Very easy and high quality!

Landrover1

Reaction score
Used the bull rings front and back. I bought the router saw blade and router blade. I imagine it can be done without but if you have a router it makes it pretty easy. One tip save the 'sleeve' that comes out of the rear pockets. The plastic bed rails are elevated above the metal support under them. I tightened up the rear bullring and it bowed the plastic down quite a bit. I then removed it and cut up that plastic sleeve to slide in btw the rail cap the metal support under it. Tin snips worked well to cut it up.
I had the same issue, I couldn’t tighten the bullrings without bowing the plastic. I used thin aluminum stock and cut to fit. Pretty easy, took about an hour. Now I can tighten them down solidly, no bowing of plastic

Attachments

• 67797EDA-B5E9-45C0-8F16-86442818F297.jpeg
    67797EDA-B5E9-45C0-8F16-86442818F297.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 191
  • 5A539004-C704-4C7E-A697-524DD468DDA1.jpeg
    5A539004-C704-4C7E-A697-524DD468DDA1.jpeg
    127.5 KB · Views: 179
  • 26EA3AD2-414C-46F0-8245-CB1227D9F21D.jpeg
    26EA3AD2-414C-46F0-8245-CB1227D9F21D.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 181
  • 339A9892-8C5A-4731-BCE6-8C254DA43695.jpeg
    339A9892-8C5A-4731-BCE6-8C254DA43695.jpeg
    177.4 KB · Views: 194
  • 8C386984-04D5-42AC-BB8A-5AE98D81507D.jpeg
    8C386984-04D5-42AC-BB8A-5AE98D81507D.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 196

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same issue, I couldn’t tighten the bullrings without bowing the plastic. I used thin aluminum stock and cut to fit. Pretty easy, took about an hour. Now I can tighten them down solidly, no bowing of plastic
Wow that looks a lot better than mine. Think I'm going to copy that.

Users who are viewing this thread