5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fuel for 5.7

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It is in my area, so lets call it a local thing, but I think this applies to most of the country. Typically, Costco premium is cheaper than name brand 87.

So you don't actually have proof that our Hemi get worst mpg with 93? You are making an assumption here unless you have some sort of link that shows it to be the case.

Octane absolutely can offer better mpg and power if the engine is tuned to make use of it. Our engines for example are tuned best for 89, so if you use it over 87, you should see an increase in mpg and power. The whole point of higher octane is it reduces knock. In order to get more power, manufacturers will tune a motor typically with higher timing, however they will require a higher octane to prevent knock.

I agree on the additive packages.
I'll use the hell outta 91 octane in the summer when it's 110° out. Helps with mpg and runs a little smoother, but only during the summer in high heat. No difference at all when it's cooler out. I'm told it's something to do with the resistance to premature detonation of the higher octane in high heat.

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Costco premium $1.99 Atlanta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

busa2009

Ram Guru
Reaction score
3c5aa0098033be4f6bf4f6ce7a3ed2e2.jpg

Price is down on premium Atalanta

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

41magmag41

Reaction score
89 octane here is 2.25 at irving, sams 93 octane is 2.03. My girl gets sams high test unless im nearer to an irving.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
We Canadians close to $4 a gallon.....

And it was closer to 4.92 (or $1.30/L) a gallon not that long ago. Used to cost me $90+ to fill my tank almost weekly.

However, other than the few years where they were equal, our dollar is normally worth less than the USD. So $90 CAD is about $68 USD as of today.

mr.fusion

Reaction score
I drive 800 miles a week. 87-89-91 has never made much difference in mpg. I have not made it a project to track the difference, but whatever difference.... it ain't much in the cars I have driven. I have the 3.6 in my 2014 Durango and my old Durango had a 5.7

My area has gas around $2.00, where it's been most of the summer. Right now my Costco is $1.51 when it normally is only 10-15 cents cheaper. No idea why. But like mentioned.... I expect we won't see gas under $2 ever again under Biden, but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

arptsprt

Reaction score
Good afternoon all... New Ram 1500 owner. 2020 Rebel with Rebel Level 2 Equipment Group. 5.7 Hemi. Granite Crystal.

I've read the owner's manual and this thread and I am aware of the 89 octane recommended vs 87 acceptable from Ram. I live in a high mountain town where our fuel options are 85, 87, or 91 ethanol, or 87 or 91 non-ethanol. Suppose I am lazy and I don't want to mix to 91 and 87 to get 89... What grade would you use? 87 or 91 and I prefer non-ethanol.

Note, I exclusively used 87 non-ethanol in my 2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost this Ram replaced. The mileage difference vs ethanol was noticeable in that truck.

Also note, no gas stations here have non-e 87 or 91 at the same pump. I'd have to fill half at one station and the other half at another station... PITA.

Thanks for the input.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Good afternoon all... New Ram 1500 owner. 2020 Rebel with Rebel Level 2 Equipment Group. 5.7 Hemi. Granite Crystal.

I've read the owner's manual and this thread and I am aware of the 89 octane recommended vs 87 acceptable from Ram. I live in a high mountain town where our fuel options are 85, 87, or 91 ethanol, or 87 or 91 non-ethanol. Suppose I am lazy and I don't want to mix to 91 and 87 to get 89... What grade would you use? 87 or 91 and I prefer non-ethanol.

Note, I exclusively used 87 non-ethanol in my 2012 Ford F-150 Ecoboost this Ram replaced. The mileage difference vs ethanol was noticeable in that truck.

Also note, no gas stations here have non-e 87 or 91 at the same pump. I'd have to fill half at one station and the other half at another station... PITA.

Thanks for the input.

Isn't 87 rated as mid-grade at elevation, making it similar to 89 at sea level? If so, that would be what I would use.

arptsprt

Reaction score
Isn't 87 rated as mid-grade at elevation, making it similar to 89 at sea level? If so, that would be what I would use.
Thanks. Now that you say that, you might be right. Also just discovered a station in the town five miles from my little town has 88 non-ethanol as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread