5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What fuel for 5.7

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
When using Costco 91 i get no knock and very smooth power bend.
87 knocks pretty bad for some reason... It did since brand new...

Last edited:

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have never gotten much better than 19.5 mpg using 89 . My truck runs great on 89. 91 octane at COSTCO was 25 cents less than the cheapest 89 in my area. I was surpised what a difference it made considering the comments I read from people saying it makes no difference. It made a huge difference in my truck and I saved $7.00 on the tank over buying 89.
I love Costco and almost exclusively fill our vehicles with their fuel because it's cheap, good, and fresh... but there in no way increasing octane by 2 points raised your MPG that much. Other factors were at play.
Nice! Crusing down I-10? The best part about Costco is you get a 4% cash back on gas purchases. So if gas is $2 a gallon at the pump, you end up paying $1.92!
If you use their Citi Visa, indeed. Only downside is you get the cash back once per year and in a paper voucher to take to Costco... bit ridiculous.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
I love Costco and almost exclusively fill our vehicles with their fuel because it's cheap, good, and fresh... but there in no way increasing octane by 2 points raised your MPG that much. Other factors were at play.

If you use their Citi Visa, indeed. Only downside is you get the cash back once per year and in a paper voucher to take to Costco... bit ridiculous.
True about the paper voucher, but if you take it to the area where they get product out of the cage and tell them you want to cash it, they will give you cash. This works as that's what I did a few weeks ago with mine.

Lake Ram

Reaction score

Other factors were at play? Such as? Same freeway, same route, same speed. Numbers don't lie. Not gonna argue, but I am going to stick with COSTCO 91.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
87-89-91 changes a lot.
91 does give you better MPG, it's a fact...
My truck is not running smooth with Costco 87 as it runs with Costco 91.
MPG is not a thing to be considered because it cost more to use 91 and the difference in MPG is not high enough.

Lake Ram

Reaction score
87-89-91 changes a lot.
91 does give you better MPG, it's a fact...
My truck is not running smooth with Costco 87 as it runs with Costco 91.
MPG is not a thing to be considered because it cost more to use 91 and the difference in MPG is not high enough.
Agreed. If COSTCO offered 89 octane I would use it. My post was more about my surprise at the increased mpg using 91 and how much cheaper it is than 89 in my area. I just want the best performance my truck can offer, I didn't buy my Ram for its great gas mileage. More like in spite of it.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. If COSTCO offered 89 octane I would use it. My post was more about my surprise at the increased mpg using 91 and how much cheaper it is than 89 in my area. I just want the best performance my truck can offer, I didn't buy my Ram for its great gas mileage. More like in spite of it.
Make your own (if you have the patience). Guesstimate how many gallons you need to fill the tank, then fill half with 91 and half with 87... takes a minute longer to do, but saves a bit of money vs pure 91 and gets you to 89. Always fill with 91 first though... otherwise you lose some 91 leftover in the fuel pump hose that you paid for but never made it into the tank (unless the guy before you was also pumping 91).

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Make your own (if you have the patience). Guesstimate how many gallons you need to fill the tank, then fill half with 91 and half with 87... takes a minute longer to do, but saves a bit of money vs pure 91 and gets you to 89. Always fill with 91 first though... otherwise you lose some 91 leftover in the fuel pump hose that you paid for but never made it into the tank (unless the guy before you was also pumping 91).

If the guy before you was pumping 87/89 and you start with 91, then you're still getting junk gas in the hose you didn't pay for.

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Or just fill up at the half tank level and get 87 one time and the next get 91. It’s not a perfect solution but it gets the job done.

awpratt79

Reaction score
that is why I ussually try to find a station that has seperate hose for each grade of fuel, only premium non-ethenol fuel for me. Unfortunately when traveling that's not always possible so try to fill the tank with as much fuel as possible, it takes about 2 gallons or so to get the previous grade out of the single hose pumps that way it dillutes the ethenol blend as much as I can. Every vehicle I have had since wisconsin implemented the ethanol mandate has benefitted in MPG's with using non-ethanol fuel also etanol fuel leaves more carbon deposits inside the engine and on injectors resulting in more maint. cost down the road. My son is a tech at my local RAM dealership and tells me the stories of what he sees inside of some of these engines or clogged injectors with low miles. So either pay at the pump or pay in the shop.

Last edited:

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score

This is what I do with Costco/Sams. It is either 93 or 87 and I basically swap at each fill up. It averages out to at least 89.

If the guy before you was pumping 87/89 and you start with 91, then you're still getting junk gas in the hose you didn't pay for.

that is why I ussually try to find a station that has seperate hose for each grade of fuel, only premium non-ethenol fuel for me. Unfortunately when traveling that's not always possible so try to fill the tank with as much fuel as possible, it takes about 2 gallons or so to get the previous grade out of the single hose pumps that way it dillutes the ethenol blend as much as I can. Every vehicle I have had since wisconsin implemented the ethanol mandate has benefitted in MPG's with using non-ethanol fuel also etanol fuel leaves more carbon deposits inside the engine and on injectors resulting in more maint. cost down the road. My son is a tech at my local RAM dealership and tells me the stories of what he sees inside of some of these engines or clogged injectors with low miles. So either pay at the pump or pay in the shop.

The residual amount left over from the previous user is going to hurt you as much as the residual amount left over from a 93 premium user is going to help the next person. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

LakesAZ

Reaction score
This is what I do with Costco/Sams. It is either 93 or 87 and I basically swap at each fill up. It averages out to at least 89.

The residual amount left over from the previous user is going to hurt you as much as the residual amount left over from a 93 premium user is going to help the next person. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
What he said above me (y)(y)(y)

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I wasn't suggesting that the amount in the hose is a large issue; just that it makes no difference which octane you start/end from.

RunsWithBeer

Reaction score
According to the American Petroleum Institute the gas-pump hose typically retains about one third of a gallon of fuel.

sppb32

Reaction score
What's the 5.7 compression ratio?
What makes it require high octane fuel?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn't suggesting that the amount in the hose is a large issue; just that it makes no difference which octane you start/end from.

Well you did suggest not going to pumps that have one hose with multiple octane options....so I was responding to that.

Users who are viewing this thread