5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What features are must haves on a build? Opinions...

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looking to order a Laramie or Limited soon. The wife isn't "happy" since I have a 2020 Laramie, but this would allow me to get exactly what I want. My biggest gripe is the eTorque and how it brakes. I also really don't like the 23 gallon tank. I bought the deal last time and not the truck. Lesson learned. With crazy high trade prices now, and the 0% financing (I currently have 1.99%, and while I haven't looked at the amortization schedule anticipate still paying another $1400-1600 in interest), I would/will come out about $2500-$3000 profit (this doesn't account for the ordered truck would have a higher MSRP than my current truck). I can run the numbers to get exact, but that is ballpark.

I am going to the dealer to sit down with him on Tuesday. I already have pricing on sample builds. Trying to get input on features by then. I am probably going to order a Laramie as long as it actually is true that on an ordered Laramie you can still get blind spot/cross path (Phillip at Bud Olson also said this in addition to my local dealer). If the system won't allow it, then I'll get a Limited.

Features I'm having a hard time deciding on:

- Advanced Safety group: The wife loves adaptive cruise in her vehicle (2019 Highlander) and with having a 2 year old would like me to have it, along with lane departure. She likes the emergency braking aspect as well. I don't care that much, but it might be a matter of not caring because I don't know what I'm missing. Thoughts?

- Muli-function Tailgate: I will get the Bed Utility Group regardless. Is this feature worth $1000? Can it be used with a bed cap or do those not work with MFT? I don't go into the bed much and mostly use the space in the crew cab for things like groceries, but that is partially due to it being a P!TA to get things out of the bed reaching across the tailgate. I don't use the bed for lumber or things like that, just groceries, dog food, water heater salt, occasionally suitcases, normal family stuff. Would for sure get the aftermarket supports for the front corners so my tonneau cover would fit.

- 12" screen: I will probably get navigation. I know manufacturer navigation systems are not the best, but I miss having the speed limit up on the screen like in my old truck, and don't like Android Auto. I hooked it up last week for the first time and didn't like that the phone button on the steering wheel doesn't work to make a call with it active (you need to navigate to the contact in the menu on the screen instead of using voice to say the name of the contact). It is also HD radio and the basic 8.4" isn't. The price is steep at $795 (on my old Ferd it was $300). But is the 12" screen worth an additional $1300?

I think I have all the other features nailed down. Would go with the 18" this time and get some A/T tires right away (negotiation point with dealer). I can take or leave the 20" and the Bridgestones are not very good. I don't like that the off road package has the 1" lift (mainly due to tailgate height increasing). The build site won't let me add the 33 gallon tank for some reason without eTorque, but hopefully that is just a glitch.

Laramie configuration (includes everything above except 12" screen - MSRP $60,020):

If I can't get a Laramie with blind spot with an order I will be forced into a Limited. I would get a stripped Limited and add trailer brake, engine block heater, and maybe Advanced Safety Group. The price is already pretty steep on a Limited, and I don't necessarily need (or want) expensive standard options like 20s, power running boards, and undecided on the 12" screen.

Also built this Big Horn. Can't get adaptive cruise on a BH. It is about $3800 or so less expensive than the Laramie total, but no Advanced Safety Group, so really about $2100 cheaper. And it is still a Big Horn when it comes time to trade whenever that is.

Anyone have pics of the brown Laramie interior or indigo/frost Limited interior from your own truck? Can't find those on dealer lots locally and the pics on the RAM site aren't very good.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Morning! A couple things to consider.
  • Android Auto can make calls by voice by holding the voice assistant button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds instead of pressing quickly - this enables Google assistant which works very well IMO
  • Obviously it's your build, but at that point, I believe the Limited will be a better investment for you based on how you're spec'ing out the Laramie, on top of which, you'd get the full leather seats, 12 inch screen with nav, rear heated, air suspension (love mine) and the running boards that may not be as important to you but may be important to the next guy and they can be turned off and stored out of the way if you don't like them.
I'm also really glad I got the 33gal fuel tank and the technology group as I really appreciate the HUD. Good luck with the build! Keep us updated.

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
- That 33 gal only with eTorque has been glitch for a while on the website

- In addition to Adapative Cruise, the ASG package also comes with the 360 camera, which I find helpful.

- I took my wife to the dealership to look at MFT. She didn’t care that much for $1k. Everyone that has it, loves it. If it was a 50/50 split opening I’d probably swing for it. But with the 60/40 I can’t open the tailgate with my trailer attached

- I was set on 8.4” NAV screen too since I’ve had one for 3 years and used to it. I ended up with the 12” screen and happy I did. The NAV screen is huge and easy to see/ read. I had a 8.4” as a loaner recently and I couldn’t go back.

- I didn’t think much of power running boards either. BUT ended up with them and found they drop so low that my 3yo can climb into the truck herself! Now I love them

Limited would also get you nicer leather, softer seat cushions, the adaptive LED headlights and air suspension

IvoryHemi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Anyone have pics of the brown Laramie interior or indigo/frost Limited interior from your own truck? Can't find those on dealer lots locally and the pics on the RAM site aren't very good.

Here are some Laramie comparison pics from another member.

I thought there was too much brown in Laramie, but I didn’t want another all black interior. I find the Longhorn’s New Saddle/Black interior is a good compromise

5A47A10B-2955-4D90-B807-966E7BB466FE.jpeg
D6C286A1-2194-4670-91AA-6F593D664416.jpeg 48690755-1EAF-4369-8BDE-BEC7331F97EC.jpeg 5B2E68C1-5134-438A-B787-AD33AA6C3F9A.jpeg
C19EAF5E-42A8-4682-91FC-2279425E93EE.jpeg

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I think the brown Laramie is too much brown. I like the black I have now because of the lighter headliner. I wouldn't get black in Limited due to the whole interior being black.

I like the Longhorn best but it is too expensive to equip how I would want. More expensive than a Limited.

Any issues with the 12" screens on recent builds? I know there were some problems on the '19s and maybe even '20s.

Any additional thoughts on the Advanced Safety Group?

I kind of hate to equip a Laramie so much, but my build is still $4k cheaper than the Limited build (and the Laramie has MFT added).

They have a Big Horn with both the big screen and MFT in the showroom I can look at tomorrow.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
Any issues with the 12" screens on recent builds? I know there were some problems on the '19s and maybe even '20s.
I have an early 2019 and the 12" works fine. I did have a few glitches early on but after a couple of updates they worked themselves out, so overall I would not worry about them.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My dad has the 12" in his 2020 Limited with no issues. It's very nice and I would have taken my truck if it had the 12". As for "have to have" I could go either way. I like the tablet in the dash but I also like the knobs in my with the 8.4".

I gotta have the 33 gallon tank. ~500 miles between fill-ups is nice especially since my commute is ~300 miles/week.

You can't get 18" wheels on the Limited unless the dealer will swap with something on their lot. I would like a little more clearance between the wheel and caliper but I like the amount of sidewall I get with the 18" for off-roading.

Adaptive cruise control I can take or leave. It's nice but I'm not used to it so I get annoyed by it when it starts to slow me down as I'm getting ready to change lanes and pass. YMMV

The MSRP for the Big Horn may be $2100 cheaper but there are usually better discounts on the Big Horn than the Laramie. I was looking at a Laramie that was similar to my Big Horn and was ~$4000 more expensive. Not a deal-breaker but when there was another $5000 factory discount for Big Horns when I purchased I couldn't justify an extra $9000 for leather seats (and a couple of extra functions the Big Horn didn't have).

Sure it's still a Big Horn when I'm done with it but I checked almost all the boxes so it is a very nice Big Horn. Some day I'll find a wrecked Laramie and scavenge the seats. ;)

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I like the 12 inch display in my wife's Limited. I have the 8.4 in my Laramie, and it seems small after being in her truck. But I wouldn't base my decision on the display size.

My must-haves are: ventilated seats (which rule out a Rebel or Big Horn), MFT, 33 gallon fuel tank, sport hood, and the rambox option. My next truck will need to have all of those things.

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I like the 12 inch display in my wife's Limited. I have the 8.4 in my Laramie, and it seems small after being in her truck. But I wouldn't base my decision on the display size.

My must-haves are: ventilated seats (which rule out a Rebel or Big Horn), MFT, 33 gallon fuel tank, sport hood, and the rambox option. My next truck will need to have all of those things.
Good choices.
33 gal tank should be standard on every truck.

Essbaum

Reaction score
+1 for MFT and Advanced safety. It might be the only way to get blind spot right now. also I love the 360 camera and also the lane departure and adaptive cruise. It is hard to find in a used truck because so many people skip it but I love it and was able to find one on a lot.

As for the MFT, that was my unicorn. I don't trailer much but I do put things in the bed and the fact that I can reach halfway into the bed without climbing in is awesome..

Also, I do have a bakflip hard cover on my bed with the rambox and MFT.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Morning! A couple things to consider.
  • Android Auto can make calls by voice by holding the voice assistant button on the steering wheel for a couple seconds instead of pressing quickly - this enables Google assistant which works very well IMO
  • Obviously it's your build, but at that point, I believe the Limited will be a better investment for you based on how you're spec'ing out the Laramie, on top of which, you'd get the full leather seats, 12 inch screen with nav, rear heated, air suspension (love mine) and the running boards that may not be as important to you but may be important to the next guy and they can be turned off and stored out of the way if you don't like them.
I'm also really glad I got the 33gal fuel tank and the technology group as I really appreciate the HUD. Good luck with the build! Keep us updated.
Not to hijack the thread but you just made my day with this tip! Couldn't understand why the steering wheel voice button didn't work and I always had to touch the screen for android auto. Works great, thanks!

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I went to the local dealership today to check out some features to finalize my order. I decided on a Delmonico Red Laramie with no eTorque, Level A, blind spot/cross path, 8" w/ navigation, BUG, wheel well liners, trailer brake, rear compartment storage. No MFT or Advanced Safety Group or large screen.

Last week the salesman said he could and had recently ordered Laramies with blind spot/cross traffic. Today when he tried to build it while I was sitting with him, it was grayed out as an option. He said a lot of options were grayed out, including Advanced Safety Group, and almost all the extra options were grayed out on Longhorn.

So, my options are: 1) wait until blind spot is available again, 2) look at a fairly bare-bones Limited (I would only get trailer brake added and maybe BUG). 3) keep what I have for now.

I would rather not have the 12" screen, and he thinks it (Limited) can be ordered with the wheel-to-wheel running boards instead of the automatic ones. But 12" is standard on Limited. I'm OK with 26 gal tank and it comes standard with the no ET HEMI.

So not sure if I should just wait, or look seriously at a Limited. I would hate to get a Limited, which is a bit more truck than I want or need, get it in July or early August, and then the MY22 come out in September with Uconnect5. But I can get a killer trade on my current truck right now. Decisions...

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I went to the local dealership today to check out some features to finalize my order. I decided on a Delmonico Red Laramie with no eTorque, Level A, blind spot/cross path, 8" w/ navigation, BUG, wheel well liners, trailer brake, rear compartment storage. No MFT or Advanced Safety Group or large screen.
That doesn't sound much different than what you currently have. Are you just wanting to get rid of etorque?

So not sure if I should just wait, or look seriously at a Limited. I would hate to get a Limited, which is a bit more truck than I want or need, get it in July or early August, and then the MY22 come out in September with Uconnect5. But I can get a killer trade on my current truck right now. Decisions...
I hear ya. I'm looking at my truck's value on kbb.com (which is what local dealerships use), and it's actually $300 higher than what I paid for it new. It's all I can do to not visit dealerships right now. The only thing saving me is no dealers within 300 miles has the exact truck I would order, and with the shortages going on now I can't order one with everything I want anyway. I'm looking into just seeing how much adding the things I really want to my current truck (33 gallon tank, MFT on my rambox bed, 360 surround view) would cost.

grimreefer

U.S. Merchant Marine
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I hear ya. I'm looking at my truck's value on kbb.com (which is what local dealerships use), and it's actually $300 higher than what I paid for it new.
Got me curious and KBB has mine above what we paid (even just "good" condition). My son's 2019 Colorado trade in is just a couple thousand less than what he paid new even. Appears used truck prices are tracking along with lumber and ammo. Crazy.

Every20years

Reaction score
Looking to order a Laramie or Limited soon. The wife isn't "happy" since I have a 2020 Laramie, but this would allow me to get exactly what I want. My biggest gripe is the eTorque and how it brakes. I also really don't like the 23 gallon tank. I bought the deal last time and not the truck. Lesson learned. With crazy high trade prices now, and the 0% financing (I currently have 1.99%, and while I haven't looked at the amortization schedule anticipate still paying another $1400-1600 in interest), I would/will come out about $2500-$3000 profit (this doesn't account for the ordered truck would have a higher MSRP than my current truck). I can run the numbers to get exact, but that is ballpark.

I am going to the dealer to sit down with him on Tuesday. I already have pricing on sample builds. Trying to get input on features by then. I am probably going to order a Laramie as long as it actually is true that on an ordered Laramie you can still get blind spot/cross path (Phillip at Bud Olson also said this in addition to my local dealer). If the system won't allow it, then I'll get a Limited.

Features I'm having a hard time deciding on:

- Advanced Safety group: The wife loves adaptive cruise in her vehicle (2019 Highlander) and with having a 2 year old would like me to have it, along with lane departure. She likes the emergency braking aspect as well. I don't care that much, but it might be a matter of not caring because I don't know what I'm missing. Thoughts?

- Muli-function Tailgate: I will get the Bed Utility Group regardless. Is this feature worth $1000? Can it be used with a bed cap or do those not work with MFT? I don't go into the bed much and mostly use the space in the crew cab for things like groceries, but that is partially due to it being a P!TA to get things out of the bed reaching across the tailgate. I don't use the bed for lumber or things like that, just groceries, dog food, water heater salt, occasionally suitcases, normal family stuff. Would for sure get the aftermarket supports for the front corners so my tonneau cover would fit.

- 12" screen: I will probably get navigation. I know manufacturer navigation systems are not the best, but I miss having the speed limit up on the screen like in my old truck, and don't like Android Auto. I hooked it up last week for the first time and didn't like that the phone button on the steering wheel doesn't work to make a call with it active (you need to navigate to the contact in the menu on the screen instead of using voice to say the name of the contact). It is also HD radio and the basic 8.4" isn't. The price is steep at $795 (on my old Ferd it was $300). But is the 12" screen worth an additional $1300?

I think I have all the other features nailed down. Would go with the 18" this time and get some A/T tires right away (negotiation point with dealer). I can take or leave the 20" and the Bridgestones are not very good. I don't like that the off road package has the 1" lift (mainly due to tailgate height increasing). The build site won't let me add the 33 gallon tank for some reason without eTorque, but hopefully that is just a glitch.

Laramie configuration (includes everything above except 12" screen - MSRP $60,020):

If I can't get a Laramie with blind spot with an order I will be forced into a Limited. I would get a stripped Limited and add trailer brake, engine block heater, and maybe Advanced Safety Group. The price is already pretty steep on a Limited, and I don't necessarily need (or want) expensive standard options like 20s, power running boards, and undecided on the 12" screen.

Also built this Big Horn. Can't get adaptive cruise on a BH. It is about $3800 or so less expensive than the Laramie total, but no Advanced Safety Group, so really about $2100 cheaper. And it is still a Big Horn when it comes time to trade whenever that is.

On the Ram site the indigo/frost looks almost an off white. In person it has a lot more tan coloring. This pic is pretty accurate. Love the color with the Maximum Steele Metallic. Note the color of the back of the cab is really a blue but in the bright sunlight is closer to a deep purple.

Attachments

• 9E0C18EB-83FD-4F47-AD4F-2681BE7DBC02.jpeg
    9E0C18EB-83FD-4F47-AD4F-2681BE7DBC02.jpeg
    132.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 3FD1360B-0698-4AA8-A638-D34C54870F4D.jpeg
    3FD1360B-0698-4AA8-A638-D34C54870F4D.jpeg
    150 KB · Views: 40

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
OK, so I think I have narrowed it down to three trucks. One is a build, two are locates.

Must have on all of them: 5.7 HEMI (no-ET), 5'7" crew, delmonico red, blind spot/cross path.

Must have list (besides the above): navigation, 26+ gallon tank

Would add if it doesn't have it from factory: wheel well liners ($200), tailgate side step ($250-300, part of BUG if equipped). Would perhaps add spray liner at some point aftermarket (if not equipped with BUG)

Would be nice from factory: BUG, wheel well liners, trailer brake, anti-spin differential

Don't really care: power running boards, 12" screen, HK Sound system (I like the Alpine in current truck and have heard HK is worse)

Quick question: anyone know for sure if 5.7 w/o ET comes with 26 gallon tank standard? I was told it is.

Options:

1. Build a custom Limited. Approx 8 weeks out. This would be a basic Limited with only engine block heater and BUG as options. Comes standard with 26 gallon tank, blind spot/cross path, wheel well liners, 12" with nav, and spray-liner (BUG adds side step and extra tie downs). MSRP $62,985

2. https://www.dearthchryslerdodgejeep...Ram-1500-38e905940a0e0a6b73ea0a5f3f1e9be5.htm

window sticker: https://www.dearthchryslerdodgejeepram.com/api/legacy/pse/windowsticker/ram?vin=1C6SRFJT7MN665116

Built March 13. MSRP $59,225. Would need to add bed side step (and possibly later spray liner) and wheel well liners. Comes with anti-spin. 26 gallon tank (I think). 12" screen with navigation.

3. https://www.hobsoncdjr.com/new-Bedf...LARAMIE+CREW+CAB+4X4+57+BOX-1C6SRFJT5MN612947

window sticker: https://www.hobsoncdjr.com/api/inventory/GetStickers/?sv=MQBDADYAUwBSAEYASgBUADUATQBOADYAMQAyADkANAA3AA==&make=RAM&dealerCode=27203&loc=Vdp

Built December 3. Base price is $800 less than the one above (that is the price increase from December to March - inflation).
MSRP $59,830. Comes with anti-spin, 33 gallon tank, wheel well liners, power running boards. 8.4" with navigation (Laramie Level 2 group with the HK sound system). The lower base price is kind of eaten up by the expensive and overpriced Level 2 package and power running boards.

Pricing:

I am looking at two local dealerships. Dealer 1 is 30 miles away and $47,603 on my trade, and Dealer 2 is 60 miles away and $47,650. The doc fee for Dealer 2 is $79 higher but they also have a lifetime powertrain warranty (just keep receipts of maintenance, doesn't need to be done at the dealership). Both will lock in incentives, but Dealer 2 says they can lock in APR or cash back, not both. Dealer 1 would need some education on the Sold Order Consumer Incentive Protection program but sounded open to it.

I have $1,000 PenFed rebate as well.

I can get the Limited build for Invoice - holdback - incentives. Holdback is approx $1848. So this build would be approx $55,867, minus incentives (currently $500 plus 0%), which is only $1,867 worse than Phillip with the lowest pricing in the nation. 21s are expected to have better incentives as the model year closes out I was told. Dealer 1 is invoice - $1500.

Dealer 1 is invoice - $1500 on a locate. Dealer 2 is near invoice on a locate (so that isn't an option for Dealer 2).

Payment:

Limited: Dealer 1: $482 for 72, or $578 for 60; Dealer 2 slightly cheaper at: $477 for 72, $572 for 60

Laramie locate, dealer 1: $426 for 72, $511 for 60

My current payment is $515 for 60 at 1.99%, we've paid about 6 payments so far at $550/mo. My old truck payment (2018 Ferd XLT) was $650/mo.

I am leaning either option 1 or 2. Option 2 is about a 2.5 hour drive for them to go get (if the other dealer will trade), option 3 is about 6 hours.

I'm so confused. What would you do?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread