5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think about the new F150?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the new look of the 2021 F-150s. I like the new technology although the new dash instrument cluster appears a little LARGE and childish, but I am getting older and maybe it would help me see when I am doing 80 mph, but it looks like 60 mph. I have 2015 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost. The twin turbos turn the v6 into a v8 pretty well and I get about 22 miles to the gallon. I have a cold air intake and 3” exhaust, so that helps a lot. I also have a Lazerlite tonneau on it, which is outstanding, but alas Lazerlite is out of business. I guess not that many people could afford a $2,500 tonneau. I would love to have one on my new Ram. I am going to see if my F-150 Lazerlite fits the 2020 Limited I am waiting on and if it even comes close, I am getting it paint matched and sporting it.

I never cared for the 4th gen Ram styling, interior or exterior. I love the 5th gen Ram styling, both interior and exterior. I have driven a lot of Rams over the years and love the air ride. The 5th gen Ram is by far and away, in my opinion, the Cadillac of ½ ton trucks right now.

And, since it looks like this thread is going to turn into out with the “old” and in with the “new Ram,” here are some photos of my current sled, the Platinum F-150 with the Lazerlite, and a photo my dealer sent me of what my new Ram Limited will look like.

(Disregard the busted tail light on my F-150, it has been replaced and was the result of an errant basketball shot I blocked at the park like I was Manute Bol playing “Not In My House!”)
Sweet baby Jesus! What could possibly make a tonneu cover cost $2500? YIKES! LOL

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wish this thread could stay in the general discussion area, at least while the announcement of the new F150 is still new. I understand it clearly falls in the category it has been moved to, but I think this is big news that users will enjoy discussing and deserves the "front page" location of general discussion. This section of the forum is not a popular destination for most users and I expect this thread to quickly die here.

Doesn't everybody just use this page to see whats new on the forum?

No need to worry about what section this thread is dumped in.

Fatherof3

Reaction score
I guess I’m in the minority here but I like the new F-150 inside and out , not as much as I like my Ram but it would definitely be my second choice .

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Speaking of the lie flat seats - has anyone laid their Ram seats back all the way? In my Limited they already are lie flat. You have to flip up the back seats to get all the way down but that's a sleeper in my book.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
You
Doesn't everybody just use this page to see whats new on the forum?

No need to worry about what section this thread is dumped in.
You may be right. I used to just go to the general discussion session. Maybe the section you shared is more frequented.

Skater

Reaction score
Sweet baby Jesus! What could possibly make a tonneu cover cost $2500? YIKES! LOL
Well, it is (was) the Rolls Royce of tonneau covers. However, I do agree, it was a tad bit expensive. Nevertheless, it is really a great tonneau with perfectly matched paint that I can stand on (yeah, I know a Diamond back or others are just as good at carrying weight). All in all... yeah, I agree that it was costly, but I love it and what is cost when it comes to love, right? I am saving to give my wife a Jeep (snap to another thread).

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Quick thoughts.

Overall - Nothing I saw made me reconsider the purchase of my RAM, which was an honest concern. I knew when i bought my RAM that a brand new F150 was around the corner. I’m not brand loyal (i lean toward to GM, but it’s an emotional thing... my dad always had Chevy trucks) and so would of bought a Ford if it offered more.

I like parts of the new Ford, but overall I don’t think it offers as exciting a total package as Ram. I think the upcoming Uconnect software is more enticing to me ATM than anything Ford showed tonight.

Exterior - I don’t mind the look of the current model and the new model is more of the same. Not Surprised, but had hoped they’d do more. I honestly struggle to see much difference other than the grill and some of the grills remind me of a Ram.

Tailgate - LOVE the workbench tailgate! Now I’m wondering what aftermarket accessories are available to provide similar functionality.

Interior - a step above the current model, but doesn’t stand out over Ram at a glance... I’m not even sure it matches Ram, but would want to see it in more detail before making any conclusion. I‘ve always been a little jealous of the massaging seats in the upper level ford trims... the full reclining seats in the new model look cool, but I won’t miss them.

Console - Really want more info on the folding console cover workspace. I’m assuming its an option?First thing that came to mind when i saw it “Where am I gonna put my coffee?” There isn’t a work truck in the country that doesn’t have every cup holder, but one, filled with crap... that last one is for a rarely washed coffee mug. One of those things that a few people will find really useful, but most won’t care about and I think that’s a miss on Fords part. Personally I prefer storage over a flat surface on the console and it looks like Ram still leads the pack.

Onboard generator - awesome! I wouldn’t have much use for it, but would probably buy it just to have the option available. Can’t understand why it’s hasn’t been an option in all trucks from all manufactures for the past 20 years.

Hands free driving - this really caught my attention until I watched Edmonds quick review. it’s akin to GMs hands free tech that only works on certain roads. To boot it‘s not available at release and will cost additional money when it becomes available. Who knows how it will go long term, but GMs had their supercruise for awhile and it hasn’t really caught on, so far as I can tell.

Powertrain - I think Ford has some really good engine options and that 10 speed get’s really good reviews, even if there’s room for improvement. Ram will continue to be in 3rd place in my mind. I love my 5.7 it’s good enough at everything that my eyes don’t wander to Chevy or Ford, but there’s no denying it’s old and thirsty. Fords hybrid is interesting and I’d like to see how it works... probably similar to Rams, but with expanded capabilities. 700 miles on a tank of gas with a great power? Will it run on regular?

Lack of Air Suspension - All i wanted to say here is I was drawn to Ram due to their 4 corner air. I live in the country, but work in the city and it can be frustrating having to pass up a parking garage because the truck is too tall. I can’t count how many times I’ve appreciated being able to lower the truck. Not a concern everyone has, but it seems a popular enough feature that I’m surprised it’s not more widely offered.

So pretty much my thought too. I would add that the rumors of a 15.5" screen seem to not be true but they should have been. They should have done more than Ram not matched it. Also the rough cut lines around the screens look a lot like the Chevy trucks which I do not like. I guess they are trying to appeal to the rough cut tough guys...not sure.

I wish they had gone to the shift knob also like Ram to free up that space...again a missed opportunity.

I also believe they played it safe on the exterior which I wish they had gone farther. F150s just all look so similar...they need something to distinguish the generations.

Overall would have given it a better look for sure vs the Ram...but only because I have a great relationship with my local Ford dealer.

I guess I’m in the minority here but I like the new F-150 inside and out , not as much as I like my Ram but it would definitely be my second choice .

Definitely my second choice too...but always was.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
the thing I like MOST about my Limited, is the grill/headlamps...to me, it just looks so much more sleek, and I guess...futuristic, than all these other brands. Especially the GM products with their "smashed with a cricket-bat" flat wall of a front...I get they are going for a semi-look, but it's getting old. Ram's with the premium lighting package, just look so cool. Love the small lamps, compared to the F-150's.

Stevenc150

Reaction score
Bah this is purely my $.02. And I carry a design bias, not brand bias...

That front end looks :poop:hitty to me. mainly due to the headlight beams' layout that is inside the accent lights. It looks like the 1st iteration of the current Ram Lhorn/Limited layout that was scrapped back in the '90s.

The interior is par for Ford [blah] and that fold-down shifter.... :unsure: .....:ROFLMAO:

The tailgate workbench is cool idea tho for the working man

Last edited:

silver billet

Reaction score
Wow, that exterior is so .... bland. Like cold oatmeal porridge, I think I've seen that 2021 F150 all the way back in 2002.

Ram did a much better job in the interior still, especially the 8 inch screen looks nice and premium yet in the Ram, in the F150 it's just mashed into the center of a big puddle of plastic.

Never been a fan of the Ford, even less of a fan now.

Scram1500

Reaction score
I haven't slept in a car since I was in short pants so a sleeper seat is lost on me. Fold away gear shift seems odd, don't really see a benefit. Also, what's up with the rake? Could be the angle of the photos I've seen but the rear looks too tall

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I grew up a die hard Ford guy. Die hard. But over the last 10 years, I haven't even walked onto a Ford dealership lot more than a couple of times. They've totally and completely lost touch with the consumer. Everything they make is ugly now. And they're trying to force feed those tiny, problematic, over-engineered EcoBust engines to people. And their interiors are cheap and unpleasant. They don't build what appeals to people any more. And their powertrains suck. After seeing what my brother has gone through with his 3.5 EcoBust, I wouldn't touch one.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like the F150..would've bought one if they didn't charge more for the V8. Sounds like they took Rams idea of the "mild hybrid" and tried to take it a step further.

BLAM

Reaction score
I agree with all previous comment. No 15.5” is a disappointment. The new interior is much nicer than the previous generation but still behind the Ram. I like it but not impressed. Now here’s an exterior I do like… Ford.jpg

Last edited:

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I think it looks pretty good. I'm 100% brand agnostic and leased my 1500 over a F-150 purely because the Longhorn interior is gorgeous.

Honestly, I'll check out the F-150 and compare it against the 1500 when my lease is up next fall, which would hopefully allow me to compare 2022 to 2022 models, with the 1500 ideally having midcycle refresh updates then. I'm pretty interested in the hybrid!

ktl5005

Reaction score
I agree with all previous comment. No 15.5” is a disappointment. The new interior is much nicer than the previous generation but still behind the Ram. I like it but not impressed. Now here’s an exterior I do like…I agree with all previous comment. No 15.5” is a disappointment. The new interior is much nicer than the previous generation but still behind the Ram. I like it but not impressed. Now here’s an exterior I do like… View attachment 60236
This I agree with. That color combo
I agree with all previous comment. No 15.5” is a disappointment. The new interior is much nicer than the previous generation but still behind the Ram. I like it but not impressed. Now here’s an exterior I do like… View attachment 60236
Now that is KILLER looking....

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I agree with all previous comment. No 15.5” is a disappointment. The new interior is much nicer than the previous generation but still behind the Ram. I like it but not impressed. Now here’s an exterior I do like… View attachment 60236
Agreed. That is a much better look.

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's okay more of a refresh in my opinion. The interior is a nice improvement but just shy of Ram's interiors. The exterior looks the same with an updated grill and headlights. Still uses the mast antenna and would have been nice to see some kind of dual exhuast like Ram and GM have.

Users who are viewing this thread