5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you think about the new F150?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Motor1 : 2021 Ford F-150 Redesign Revealed With Hybrid Version, Clever Features.

I think the front end looks like a GM truck and the side profile has a Ram look to it. The looks are meh to me.

The hybrid sounds cool but expensive. I was excited at a hybrid option to save money long term more so than boost performance. If I wanted to spend more for better performance I'd look to a half ton or GM 6.2.

Some of the gimmicks are neat like the ability to tie down cargo with the tailgate down. The fold down shifter makes me even happier to have our rotary shifter. The super recline seats are maybe my favorite detail of the whole announcement

Overall, I'm less excited seeing the details than I was anticipating them.

What say you?

Granite2WD

Reaction score
Also, I love the headlights and really dislike the Ranger grille.

Smon

Reaction score
I do like the horizontal screen layout. It wouldn’t be a big deal but it drives me nuts that ram won’t split the backup cameras into two sections on the screen to utilize the whole thing

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'll have to see it in person but first impression is that I'm glad I went ahead and got my Ram. As far as exterior and interior styling is concerned I still prefer the Ram to most other trucks. The F250 w/ LEDs and the GMC AT4s are the only trucks I feel like look as good as our trucks. I know the front end has been leaked for a while but there was a concept showing the F150 w/ a super duty type from end and it looked awesome. Too bad they went this direction. I don't like the headlights at all.

The generator is handy if you're into tailgating or maybe doing light work at a job site. Powerboost seems interesting. Have to see what real world testing looks like. Kind of concerning thought that it's somewhat flawed in other ford systems.

Last edited:

Bhew123

Reaction score
I really like that screen but way too many buttons underneath. Lots of great new features. Exterior does not impress me but they also presented the truck in a two tone with chrome bumpers. They definitely could have showed a truck with better wheels and painted bumpers.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
overall, I think it still looks a little dated from the outside. The same looking front grill more or less, and that goofy driver and passenger front window drop-down for the mirror...they've had that for like 15 years now. The guys in the trades will love the on-board generator options, and those that boon dock camping. Pretty cool feature I would say. As far as the interior...I'll take my Limited Ram interior over what I've seen in the F-150 photos. To be clear, I'm not a hater of any brand, and have had at least 3 Ford trucks..2 F-150's and one F-250.

Bhew123

Reaction score
Just clicked on the link. I watched the live stream earlier. I like that truck

Muskiez

Reaction score
The interior took quite a step up from the previous gen, although the tach and speedometer look pretty tacky on the full digital dash. Overall it looks pretty good. Lots of details yet to be released tho.

thrillracing

Reaction score
Yes, some neat features like the generator. But they aren’t going to shake the money tree too much with a divisive design change. I like the horizontal screen layout but that shifter..weird.

Ordered while the sh*t was hitting the fan..Hydro-Blue Laramie Group 2, Air-suspension, Off-road, Sport, Uconnect 12, power running boards, dual panel moonroof.

FTRO

Reaction score
I have a 2006 F150 XLT 4x4 that I liked the styling of when I got it new. Very minimal, but since that model I have not been a fan of any of "their" improvements. Everyone is going to that boxy look. (Like the newest Chevy)
2021 just adds to it... don't like the head or tail lights, especially the rounded crease over the wheel wells, creases or accent lines across the tailgate, and so much more.
I'm old school (@ 41 lol) I would rather not have all the electronic this and electronic camera that-stuff that will inadvertently need fixed or worked on at some point. I don't need a light to tell me someone is in my blind spot...it's called turning your head and looking... which everyone should still do. Nobody makes a factory truck like that anymore.... so, giving in, I am hoping my new Big Horn (once it gets built) will satisfy, even with all it's modern technology. Aesthetics made a huge portion of my decision to go with the Ram other than I want NO part of any stop/start crap on my next truck!!!!
Trading in (pic from when New)

truck 004.jpg
Closest I could find on the webs of what I'm getting.....
09366e0b43f99925dbffc3e98a856f59.jpg

Brianziggy64

Reaction score
I’m surprised they didn’t do something with their tailgate like GMC and RAM. They had a split like tailgate on their Excursions years ago. The split was centered in the middle vs offset. I would think they‘ll have that option available at some point in the future or something else they aren’t ready to release yet. Or........maybe they won’t do anything.

Skater

Reaction score
I like the new look of the 2021 F-150s. I like the new technology although the new dash instrument cluster appears a little LARGE and childish, but I am getting older and maybe it would help me see when I am doing 80 mph, but it looks like 60 mph. I have 2015 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost. The twin turbos turn the v6 into a v8 pretty well and I get about 22 miles to the gallon. I have a cold air intake and 3” exhaust, so that helps a lot. I also have a Lazerlite tonneau on it, which is outstanding, but alas Lazerlite is out of business. I guess not that many people could afford a $2,500 tonneau. I would love to have one on my new Ram. I am going to see if my F-150 Lazerlite fits the 2020 Limited I am waiting on and if it even comes close, I am getting it paint matched and sporting it.

I never cared for the 4th gen Ram styling, interior or exterior. I love the 5th gen Ram styling, both interior and exterior. I have driven a lot of Rams over the years and love the air ride. The 5th gen Ram is by far and away, in my opinion, the Cadillac of ½ ton trucks right now.

And, since it looks like this thread is going to turn into out with the “old” and in with the “new Ram,” here are some photos of my current sled, the Platinum F-150 with the Lazerlite, and a photo my dealer sent me of what my new Ram Limited will look like.

(Disregard the busted tail light on my F-150, it has been replaced and was the result of an errant basketball shot I blocked at the park like I was Manute Bol playing “Not In My House!”)

Attachments

• IMG_2176.jpeg
    IMG_2176.jpeg
    133.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_2178.jpg
    IMG_2178.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 71
  • RAM1500 Limited BPACK.jpeg
    RAM1500 Limited BPACK.jpeg
    70.4 KB · Views: 72

BmoreStew

Reaction score
Quick thoughts.

Overall - Nothing I saw made me reconsider the purchase of my RAM, which was an honest concern. I knew when i bought my RAM that a brand new F150 was around the corner. I’m not brand loyal (i lean toward to GM, but it’s an emotional thing... my dad always had Chevy trucks) and so would of bought a Ford if it offered more.

I like parts of the new Ford, but overall I don’t think it offers as exciting a total package as Ram. I think the upcoming Uconnect software is more enticing to me ATM than anything Ford showed tonight.

Exterior - I don’t mind the look of the current model and the new model is more of the same. Not Surprised, but had hoped they’d do more. I honestly struggle to see much difference other than the grill and some of the grills remind me of a Ram.

Tailgate - LOVE the workbench tailgate! Now I’m wondering what aftermarket accessories are available to provide similar functionality.

Interior - a step above the current model, but doesn’t stand out over Ram at a glance... I’m not even sure it matches Ram, but would want to see it in more detail before making any conclusion. I‘ve always been a little jealous of the massaging seats in the upper level ford trims... the full reclining seats in the new model look cool, but I won’t miss them.

Console - Really want more info on the folding console cover workspace. I’m assuming its an option?First thing that came to mind when i saw it “Where am I gonna put my coffee?” There isn’t a work truck in the country that doesn’t have every cup holder, but one, filled with crap... that last one is for a rarely washed coffee mug. One of those things that a few people will find really useful, but most won’t care about and I think that’s a miss on Fords part. Personally I prefer storage over a flat surface on the console and it looks like Ram still leads the pack.

Onboard generator - awesome! I wouldn’t have much use for it, but would probably buy it just to have the option available. Can’t understand why it’s hasn’t been an option in all trucks from all manufactures for the past 20 years.

Hands free driving - this really caught my attention until I watched Edmonds quick review. it’s akin to GMs hands free tech that only works on certain roads. To boot it‘s not available at release and will cost additional money when it becomes available. Who knows how it will go long term, but GMs had their supercruise for awhile and it hasn’t really caught on, so far as I can tell.

Powertrain - I think Ford has some really good engine options and that 10 speed get’s really good reviews, even if there’s room for improvement. Ram will continue to be in 3rd place in my mind. I love my 5.7 it’s good enough at everything that my eyes don’t wander to Chevy or Ford, but there’s no denying it’s old and thirsty. Fords hybrid is interesting and I’d like to see how it works... probably similar to Rams, but with expanded capabilities. 700 miles on a tank of gas with a great power? Will it run on regular?

Lack of Air Suspension - All i wanted to say here is I was drawn to Ram due to their 4 corner air. I live in the country, but work in the city and it can be frustrating having to pass up a parking garage because the truck is too tall. I can’t count how many times I’ve appreciated being able to lower the truck. Not a concern everyone has, but it seems a popular enough feature that I’m surprised it’s not more widely offered.

Last edited:

BmoreStew

Reaction score
OH! Thought it was odd they didn’t mention payload as it’s always the limiting factor for any half-ton truck. 12k+ towing is pretty normal these days, but if the upper level trims can’t take more than 1000lbs in the bed.... well you’ve seen all the towing threads on the forum. Maybe I missed it.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The 2021 F150 is definitely an improvement, thanks to Ram ;-) It's clear that Ford put a LOT of effort in trying to catch up to Ram. Clearly, still the typical timid Ford styling changes, but what they did change, they migrated more towards Ram styling cues and copying Ram, inside & out. Note that Ford even copied the lower body side "joggle" line between the front & rear wheel wells, nearly identical to Ram's except turned upside down.
The workbench tailgate is interesting, might be pretty cool, but I'll still take Ram's Multifunction Tailgate split-gate system - best $1k I ever spent.
The jobsite/campsite generator is a great option, kudos to Ford on that one. Ram & GM had them back in the 1990s or early 2000s, but those were military prototypes that never really made it to market, so it's a feather in Ford's cap to have mainstreamed the onboard generator.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think that Ford made a huge leap in 2015 with a lot of first for full size trucks that forced RAM & GM to follow. But now everyone caught up and in some ways passed Ford in 2019. At least stylistically, this was maybe too conservative of a redesign, too many people won't notice it's an "all-new" generation.

The mechanical features and misc. "innovations" could be something else, interested to see them in person.

Granite2WD

Reaction score
I wish this thread could stay in the general discussion area, at least while the announcement of the new F150 is still new. I understand it clearly falls in the category it has been moved to, but I think this is big news that users will enjoy discussing and deserves the "front page" location of general discussion. This section of the forum is not a popular destination for most users and I expect this thread to quickly die here.

ktl5005

Reaction score
I think they did a very good job with the new f150. Nice big screen, STANDARD on over 50% of the line, all digital gauge area, lay flat seats, power inverter, the C accent LEDs headlight and fog lights are cool, and they definitely stepped up their game on the interior for the upper trims to compete with Ram.
Also, to fully electrify the 3.5 Ecoboost, 700 miles to a tank for a gasser, the number for it are going to be killer. No offense to Ram and I love my Hemi, but the Ecoboost Has the Hemi best in every department (hp, tq, fuel mileage, towing). Ford really stepped up their game. The HEMI is aging.....

Withh that said all this neat stuff is going to come at a Ford price and not as discounted as you could get a ram. I’m think too top trim tops 75k msrp. Hell, you could spec an XLT to 60k.

ford really stepped up their game. I wouldnt buy new since it’s a complete redesign, but 1 or 2 year off lease after depreciation hits? Maybe.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am really surprised that it doesn’t look any different than the old truck. Supposedly a 92% redesign that looks like they only changed the headlights and front fenders. To me the 150 looks old and boring and this sure doesn’t do much to change that. The interior looks a little better but I only saw pics of the top end one. If the regular trucks may still be full of plastic like the current generation. The biggest issue with the current F-150 is the bad ride quality. From what I read, it looks like they may have improved it, but not sure what they did. I think the Ram will still be on top when a comparison is done. Hopefully FCA will do a mid model refresh in a couple years instead of running every model for 12 years like the rest of the line ups.

STR

Reaction score
Big improvements in the interior. Exterior... Meh! The work bench tailgate is kinda gimmicky. Ram still has it beat in most measurables, except for the most glaring area- fuel economy, where it’s certainly lacking. I suspect Ram will be focusing on this in ‘22-‘23. I don’t expect much for ‘21.

Users who are viewing this thread