5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you dislike about your gen5 truck?

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m sorry guys I totally misunderstood the question! What I meant was, I replaced the chrome R A M letters with OEM blacked out R A M letters. It was super easy, they pop right off. The grill was already black as my 2019 Bighorn came with the Sport appearance package (black grill and body color bumpers.) My apologies

Ahhhhhh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Duran

Reaction score
I’m sorry guys I totally misunderstood the question! What I meant was, I replaced the chrome R A M letters with OEM blacked out R A M letters. It was super easy, they pop right off. The grill was already black as my 2019 Bighorn came with the Sport appearance package (black grill and body color bumpers.) My apologies
Ohhh its all good. But the letters just popped off?

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ohhh its all good. But the letters just popped off?

Yes but you have to pry them from the bottom a bit...they are held in place by a couple of clips. I used a decal removing kit I ordered from amazon. Good YouTube video on this that I used for guidance, forward it to 11:00 for a good description on those clips. Once they are off you just snap on the new ones and done. Same with the 1500 hood bezels, they are held in place by clips. Everything else (Ram tailgate badge, 4x4 badge, etc) is stuck on with adhesive and you gotta get in there with some fishing wire and a heat gun/hair dryer and peel off the emblem and adhesive.

Duran

Reaction score
Yes but you have to pry them from the bottom a bit...they are held in place by a couple of clips. I used a decal removing kit I ordered from amazon. Good YouTube video on this that I used for guidance, forward it to 11:00 for a good description on those clips. Once they are off you just snap on the new ones and done. Same with the 1500 hood bezels, they are held in place by clips. Everything else (Ram tailgate badge, 4x4 badge, etc) is stuck on with adhesive and you gotta get in there with some fishing wire and a heat gun/hair dryer and peel off the emblem and adhesive.

Thanks brother. The bezels on my hood i removed and plati dipped. Would love to do my grill to. Thanks for the follow up

ShouldaGoneFord

Reaction score
The a/c does not blow cold. 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. 2 weeks in brand new and it really is enough to say ShouldaGoneFord. Dealership in Colorado Springs said blowing 44 degrees with 76 external temp was just fine (on recirc, fan on high, highway speeds). Admitted it blew 47 degrees at one point in these conditions. Gave me a chart that said blowing 55 degrees on a 90 degree day would also be okay. That's not industry acceptable. Dry Colorado air at 80 degrees w no direct sun at 7 pm at highway speeds for an hour requires set LO and fan 3/4 speeds (didn't have recirc, on shouldn't need to in these conditions).

2019_Ram

Reaction score
The a/c does not blow cold. 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. 2 weeks in brand new and it really is enough to say ShouldaGoneFord. Dealership in Colorado Springs said blowing 44 degrees with 76 external temp was just fine (on recirc, fan on high, highway speeds). Admitted it blew 47 degrees at one point in these conditions. Gave me a chart that said blowing 55 degrees on a 90 degree day would also be okay. That's not industry acceptable. Dry Colorado air at 80 degrees w no direct sun at 7 pm at highway speeds for an hour requires set LO and fan 3/4 speeds (didn't have recirc, on shouldn't need to in these conditions).

The AC, also, is by far my biggest complaint. It just absolutely drives me up the wall that the support for this issue is almost non-existant. Mine is actually worse than yours. Morning outside temp 66*, driver's side center vent 53* and passenger's side center vent 47*, fan on 4 and temp set to lo. There are a couple of pages posted from the service manual about the AC specs and testing procedures floating around somewhere on this forum. If I remember correctly, there was a chart that listed the acceptable max vent temperature as 45* or less when the "feels like" temperature is 70* or 80*. Then it went up to 55* at 90* and 100* and finally topped out at 65* for 110*.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't like the "push to open, push to close" gas tank lid. Sometimes mine doesn't grab on the first push. I'd rather just have it flip open and closed and have a little notch to grab it with so I didn't have to leave fingerprints on the door.

bvigne01

Reaction score
I few things
The A/c was better on the 3rd and 4th gens​
Air suspension ride quality (should have stuck with coil)​
No auto entry/exit lowering in park option
No auto folding side mirrors in park option​
power Side steps - sometimes don’t retract until after I’m down the road​
Key fob not in truck error with key fob in pocket​

Dawgsfan11

Reaction score
I chose the brown/beige interior color, and it definitely clashes more than I thought it would with the silver exterior. Should’ve gone black. Other than that, no problems! My AC works fine, thankfully.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't like the "push to open, push to close" gas tank lid. Sometimes mine doesn't grab on the first push. I'd rather just have it flip open and closed and have a little notch to grab it with so I didn't have to leave fingerprints on the door.

My only complaint about this gas door is it doesn’t lock with the rest of the truck

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Not really related to this thread, plus I’ve already given my ‘two cents’ earlier, but I’m likely moving back to the Springs from Maui. Curious if you have opinions of which Ram dealer is better? I purchased mine used at Red Noland and shipped it to Maui, and honestly the dealer here has been better than I was expecting. I don’t have a relationship with either Perkins or Colorado Springs Dodge/Ram service departments. That said, I live on the far north end (Northgate and 83) and honestly it’s a tossup sometimes on which location is better, Powers BLVD can suck, and sometimes I-25 sucks...

Back to the truck, the AC is bad enough here, but Maui heat doesn’t hold a candle to Colorado heat. Plus my truck is black on black...

Skater

Reaction score
MDS causes my Carven exhaust to drone and other than playing with gear limiter or tow/haul mode there is not way to turn it off. Sole complaint, sole dislike. All other aspects of my Ram are top notch.

Marinevb1986

Reaction score
Oil filter location is awful

Also don’t like the chrome 1500 hood badge, i did find a website where you can buy color matched hood badges, think I’m going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Can you post link for the color matched hood badges please?

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you post link for the color matched hood badges please?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

COSPILOT

Reaction score
Curious: What don't you like about the ride quality with the air suspension?
I was thinking the same, pretty happy with mine. I had a few months of rental Gen 5 Rams with coils which were good, but air is better.

Rossum

Reaction score
I was thinking the same, pretty happy with mine. I had a few months of rental Gen 5 Rams with coils which were good, but air is better.
I'm fixing to become an owner and I'm leaning toward coils, but that's primarily due to reliability concerns. Most everything else I've read seems to indicate the ride quality with air is indeed better, and self-leveling under load is nice feature too. The question in my mind is whether it's worth the risk of being "let down" somewhere.

COSPILOT

Reaction score
I'm fixing to become an owner and I'm leaning toward coils, but that's primarily due to reliability concerns. Most everything else I've read seems to indicate the ride quality with air is indeed better, and self-leveling under load is nice feature too. The question in my mind is whether it's worth the risk of being "let down" somewhere.
If it makes you feel better I’m a Land Rover fanatic. I purchased my 2006 Land Rover LR3 new and still have it, with original airbags for the corners. I’ve had to replace the compressor and 3 valve blocks, all of which were easy and I did the work. Now the LR3 has 156K miles and still rides better than a new Tahoe or Expedition. We also had a Range Rover with Air suspension for years and it was flawless as well. Having had Land Rovers for close to 20 years they will take you to hell and back properly maintained.

That said, my Ram is no Land Rover and I don’t like certain things about the air suspension on it, if Land Rover is a ten, the Ram is maybe a 5 or 6. However the Ram is no off-road intended vehicle where as the Land Rover is. For trucks I’m a Ford nut, but I felt Ram was better with Gen 5. If I had to do it over, I’d still buy the Ram with Air suspension. Air suspension really isn’t that complicated and it works until it fails. No big deal and an easy fix if and when it happens.

ShouldaGoneFord

Reaction score
Not really related to this thread, plus I’ve already given my ‘two cents’ earlier, but I’m likely moving back to the Springs from Maui. Curious if you have opinions of which Ram dealer is better? I purchased mine used at Red Noland and shipped it to Maui, and honestly the dealer here has been better than I was expecting. I don’t have a relationship with either Perkins or Colorado Springs Dodge/Ram service departments. That said, I live on the far north end (Northgate and 83) and honestly it’s a tossup sometimes on which location is better, Powers BLVD can suck, and sometimes I-25 sucks...

Back to the truck, the AC is bad enough here, but Maui heat doesn’t hold a candle to Colorado heat. Plus my truck is black on black...
A few years back I had a Dodge Caravan and dealt with Perkins on some things. I wouldn't have a strong driver either way, but I plan to work with Colorado Springs Dodge Woodmen/Austin Bluffs.

Users who are viewing this thread