5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do you dislike about your gen5 truck?

sstumpf

Reaction score
Oil filter location is awful

Also don’t like the chrome 1500 hood badge, i did find a website where you can buy color matched hood badges, think I’m going that route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Traction control switch doesn't disable the traction control.

Unfortunately, this is the lawyers fault. Lots, if not all, cars and trucks seem to be this way anymore... cannot disable the traction control completely. The switch just turns it half off or partially off. :(

ClancyO

Reaction score
Most of mine are electronic and easy to fix:

park sensors: if the truck is in reverse, stop alerting me that I’m close to something in front, and vice versus.

dial shifter: it’s ok, I’m used to it, but if I happen to shut the truck off and didn’t put it in park, PUT IT IN PARK! How effing hard would that have been to program? Instead it yells at me.

no rain sensing wipers. (Bighorn, lvl2). Everything has this now, and the hardware is already there, just enable it.

oil filter location/size. Lazy engineering here. Electronic power steering took up some space, but hey this filter smaller than what’s on my 1200cc motorcycle fits, let’s use it!

COWBOY CADILLAC

Reaction score
The oil filter is definitely in a bad place on the 5.7L. I use several layers of aluminum foil as kind of an aqua duct to direct the oil and cover the steering rack. They should have used a remote setup or installed a plastic gutter like Ford does.

The electric running boards also sometimes have a long delay before they retract after the doors are closed. Sometimes I can back out of the driveway and start driving down the road before they retract. That doesn't seem right to me because it doesn't always happen, however the dealer tries to convince me that this is normal. It may be normal for my Ram but my Ford and Lincoln never did that.

Overall I love my Ram, it is the best pickup I have ever owned.

sstumpf

Reaction score
Dude! What website is that... link?

Link wouldn’t work for some reason

Go to this site and just search for Mopar Custom Painted 5.7L Hemi Hood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
dial shifter: it’s ok, I’m used to it, but if I happen to shut the truck off and didn’t put it in park, PUT IT IN PARK! How effing hard would that have been to program? Instead it yells at me.
Mine does that (returns itself to P if I forget) while it’s warning me. I didn’t realize this was trim-specific.

Finn5033

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For me it’s the oil filter location and wind noise in the cab. I’m a little disappointed that it’s not quieter inside while cruising on the freeway at 70mph plus. Under 70 it’s very quiet.

I have to comment on the number of people that have mentioned the mirrors not folding in and out automatically.All you have to do is push a button, c’mon guys.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
I have to comment on the number of people that have mentioned the mirrors not folding in and out automatically.All you have to do is push a button, c’mon guys.
I think the issue, at least it is for me, is that plenty of other vehicles do the auto-fold, while Ram has the button for it.

I usually push the button as soon as I turn off the truck, but sometimes I forget and don't remember till I've already gotten out of the truck. At that point, yes, it is an inconvenience to have to push the button inside the truck vs being able to fold them from the key fob as I could do in previous vehicles.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
To me it's build quality more than anything. For the most part the truck would be perfect if everything worked the way it should have. I have too many clunks, clanks, and ticks everywhere, makes me nervous for overall quality. And of course the way they cheaped out on keyless entry and divided it into 2 separate features and only give you half of it.

I don't have some issues others have, like a hard time closing the tailgate? Just bring it up until it's almost "home", then give it a gentle push and hang onto it so it doesn't want to "spring back". The more you slam it shut, the more it wants to bounce back. Same with hood, bring it all the way down until it's sitting against the latch, then give it a firm push.

So yeah I love my truck for the most part, but build quality is not up to par. If it was, this truck would be killer.

ClancyO

Reaction score
Mine does that (returns itself to P if I forget) while it’s warning me. I didn’t realize this was trim-specific.

Actually it does do that, but still makes me press start/stop 2 times and flashes the idiot warning. I had a 2000 tundra and one of my favorite features was the headlights. If you turned off the key with the headlight on, it just turned the headlights off! It didn’t beep/squeal at you like ever other car made for the 45+ years prior, it just turned them off! Brilliant! If you wanted the on, then just turn the switch off then back on again and they were on! Such a simple thing, and yet so brilliant! (this was before the days auto-headlights).

Most of my peeves are opportunities they had (and still have since it’s just bcm code!) that any decent developer would have written/suggested and in the end cost next to nothing. They got so many other things so right that this lazy programming just stands out as a big miss.

RSConsulting

Reaction score
Lane Keeper/Assist is USELESS. In my previous '16 Honda Pilot it was almost auto-pilot. With the advances in technology since '16, all the cameras and a truck that can PARALLEL PARK ITSELF - you would think it could STAY IN A LANE.

Yeah - I know - don't be distracted, pay attention to the road - don't let tech take the place of safe driving habits. But coming from a top of line import to a $20K more expensive domestic, the feature could at least pretend to work. I have vid (somewhere) of the Honda navigating the I-77 mountain curves just coming into Va from NC - with no hands on the wheel.

I could nitpick other little things - but this is the most ongoing annoying thing for me...

Rick

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
AC is just Adaquate, a few more noises then my 4th gen. I attribute it to be a first year model as my 4th gen did not have one squeak or rattle in 4 years.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
Traction control switch doesn't disable the traction control.

Dimming interior lights with auto wipers

No cooled seats on my 19 rebel

That is not a TCS switch. it is Electronic Stability Control Switch you are turning off and: it re-engages automatically under certain situations to include turn truck on/off. There R other instances but I did not post all, IMHO ne way...

Warning Light — If Equipped
This warning light will indicate when the Electronic Stability
Control system is Active. The “ESC Indicator Light”
in the instrument cluster will come on when the ignition is
placed in the ON/RUN or ACC/ON/RUN position, and
when ESC is activated. It should go out with the engine
running. If the “ESC Indicator Light” comes on continuously
with the engine running, a malfunction has been
detected in the ESC system. If this warning light remains
on after several ignition cycles, and the vehicle has been
driven several miles (kilometers) at speeds greater than
30 mph (48 km/h), see an authorized dealer as soon as
possible to have the problem diagnosed and corrected.
• The “ESC Off Indicator Light” and the “ESC Indicator
Light” come on momentarily each time the ignition is
placed in the ON/RUN or ACC/ON/RUN position.
• The ESC system will make buzzing or clicking sounds
when it is active. This is normal; the sounds will stop
when ESC becomes inactive.
• This light will come on when the vehicle is in an ESC
event.
— Electronic Stability Control (ESC) Off Warning
Light — If Equipped
This warning light indicates the Electronic Stability Control
(ESC) is off.
Each time the ignition is turned to ON/RUN or ACC/ON/
RUN, the ESC system will be on, even if it was turned off
previously.

turkeybird56

Reaction score
1) AC only adequate
2) I could have opted for a slightly higher trimmed truck to get more glitter, but of course that also includes $$$$
3) Not having an inverter in truck or more that (1) 12V accessory plug in (Bighorn lower trim) (my bad)

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dude! What website is that... link?

I wasn’t fan of the chrome badge either. Bought black ones and ordered some over lays that color match the body paint for the “hemi5.7L” from 3rd strike. Real nice dudes there, customer service was A+ if you need to call them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is my third Ram (two 4th gens; one 5th gen) and everything works as it should. Even my AC is great.

There are two things:

The first is the little tiny water drain port at the front of the bed floor. Any small amount of leaf or other debris clogs it easily.

The other is the flat floor in the rear. This, I guess is a selling point for some, but things move around too easily when placed on the back floor. My previous two DSs (4th gens) had tub floors and under seat compartmentalized storage. Wish I had that back.

Since I've been in all the new full-size trucks except Titan, I can't even anticipate driving something else.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 03 June 2018. Now at: 037268 miles.

Condor757

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wasn’t fan of the chrome badge either. Bought black ones and ordered some over lays that color match the body paint for the “hemi5.7L” from 3rd strike. Real nice dudes there, customer service was A+ if you need to call them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Northern Area,
Would you mind posting a couple pics of your truck with the new blacked out badges?
Im strongly debating just ordering the 1500 Hemi badges in black, and keeping the rest of the chrome badging. Would like to see the contrast between the black badge and the chrome R A M on the door. Thx

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Northern Area,
Would you mind posting a couple pics of your truck with the new blacked out badges?
Im strongly debating just ordering the 1500 Hemi badges in black, and keeping the rest of the chrome badging. Would like to see the contrast between the black badge and the chrome R A M on the door. Thx
Good thing I didn’t clean up my pictures folder lol just took off the ram chrome door badges last night. Here’s both though, with and without the ram chrome

Attachments

• 6263A533-2860-4DDE-8C0A-4B7497164977.jpeg
    6263A533-2860-4DDE-8C0A-4B7497164977.jpeg
    289.8 KB · Views: 122
  • 155FC852-9AF4-4E55-B08F-FE5DA8D6DB91.jpeg
    155FC852-9AF4-4E55-B08F-FE5DA8D6DB91.jpeg
    225.4 KB · Views: 126
  • 53E16D6E-679E-440F-9D8B-B5EC4690C489.jpeg
    53E16D6E-679E-440F-9D8B-B5EC4690C489.jpeg
    197.2 KB · Views: 131
  • 423A80AE-AEB8-434A-BCB3-64EBD4EB39E0.jpeg
    423A80AE-AEB8-434A-BCB3-64EBD4EB39E0.jpeg