5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we think of the new F150 interior?

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
The interior is better on the F150 but i still can't get past the silly side windows that dips down to show your knees. What's the point of this?

FUGLY. I don't get it either and have never liked the way F150s look so boxy. I said they have definitely improved the interior but it's still not as nice as the Ram and the outside needs a lot of work.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The interior is better on the F150 but i still can't get past the silly side windows that dips down to show your knees. What's the point of this?
Actually, it’s GREAT for visibility, particularly when towing. It’s a carryover from similar design cues on tractor-trailers and dump trucks.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The Tundra has a 14 MPG combined with their V8...'nuff said. They are a solid 5 MPG behind their competitors. It is funny that the Tundra's upper interiors are better than GMs (while not being close to Ram or even the new 21 F150).
I’ve honesty always loved the simplicity and layout of tundra interiors, I almost got one instead of my rebel but couldn’t justify spending more money for an SR5 than I did on my rebel!

TemeculaRAM

Reaction score
It looks as badass as it should for being about an $80,000 truck, as shown there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

50Front

Reaction score
Actually, it’s GREAT for visibility, particularly when towing. It’s a carryover from similar design cues on tractor-trailers and dump trucks.
Visibility of what? I don't think it serves any practical purpose. Like you said, its probably just to mimic large trucks.

billfraley

Reaction score
Visibility of what? I don't think it serves any practical purpose. Like you said, its probably just to mimic large trucks.
As someone who has owned 3 F150s with this style of window, it definitely helps with side and rear visibility. This is mainly due to a better angle for the side view mirrors and especially in regard to the tow mirrors.

The RAM tow mirrors are a horrible design and the F150 is absolutely the best. The F150 mirrors are positioned better because of the dip in the side windows. This design originated on the F250/F350 trucks.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

50Front

Reaction score
As someone who has owned 3 F150s with this style of window, it definitely helps with side and rear visibility. This is mainly due to a better angle for the side view mirrors and especially in regard to the tow mirrors.

The RAM tow mirrors are a horrible design and the F150 is absolutely the best. The F150 mirrors are positioned better because of the dip in the side windows. This design originated on the F250/F350 trucks.

So having the mirrors lower somehow increases side and rear visibility? Doesn't seem to make sense but I'll take your word for it since i have not owned a ford.

billfraley

Reaction score
So having the mirrors lower somehow increases side and rear visibility? Doesn't seem to make sense but I'll take your word for it since i have not owned a ford.
It has to do with line of sight and the lower mirror center point. Hard to describe but it really is an advantage.

I do like the tilt in reverse function of the Ram premium side mirrors but the Ram tow mirrors are ridiculously outdated.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Tundra's upper interiors are better than GMs (while not being close to Ram or even the new 21 F150).
Have you been in a Tundra, they are so so so much worse than GM. especially since GM at least has some highline like the highcountry or denali.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It has to do with line of sight and the lower mirror center point. Hard to describe but it really is an advantage.
Agreed. I grew driving our farm trucks and spent some summers working in construction, so the benefits were obvious to me when Ford came out with that design.

That said, as surround-view camera systems continue to improve, we'll likely be using all of those mirrors and angles less and less.

doublenichols

Reaction score
I think the interior on the F150 has come a much needed long way, and I can definitely understand why they had to do the upgrade. Either they step up, or continue the sales hemorrhage as a result of RAM’s award winning interiors. Now don’t get it twisted. I STILL think the RAM‘s interior is nicer, more plush, and stylish (for now), but I won’t be surprised when a competitor shows up with something better. It’s not the F150 yet. ...Glad I chose the leader of the pack!

UnloosedChewtoy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That said, as surround-view camera systems continue to improve, we'll likely be using all of those mirrors and angles less and less.

At some point, we may not even have real mirrors anymore. On at least a few cars now (but not our Rams), when you put it into reverse, your entire rear-view mirror switches over to the backup camera. So its technically not a mirror at that point, its just a screen for the camera.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
At some point, we may not even have real mirrors anymore. On at least a few cars now (but not our Rams), when you put it into reverse, your entire review mirror switches over to the backup camera. So its technically not a mirror at that point, its just a screen for the camera.
Yep - and it's been this way for certain vehicles (e.g. RVs) for years. That said, there's something to be said for the situational awareness gained simply by turning your head. I have this nice screen on the Ram, and yet I still look behind me for anything the cameras might miss.

STR

Reaction score
The F-150’s new interior is certainly an improvement. I’ve own a few F-150s and Silverados, and considered both, particularly the Trail Boss, before purchasing my Ram. The Trail Boss’s interior was so dated and bland. The F-150 was a little better. I even looked at the Tundra... waste of time. The Ram’s interior is in a class by itself, and a better truck overall. It’s easy to see how it jumped over Chevy for second place. I have no brand loyalty, and will consider the others in the future, but for now, the decision was easy... too easy (y)

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Traded mine because I got tired of the repetitive IWE issue.
Yep, I still like Ferds but usually overpriced especially compared to RAM. Now resale will be the other side of the coin but my wife isn’t letting go of this one...
an insurance total would be the only way.

The ride yesterday on the 2.5 hour highway trip getting 21.8 average mpg’s on 87 octane was better than my 15’ F150 got on both areas...

plawislaw

Reaction score
Overall changes look much better and to-date than the prior gen's, but most people aren't running out to spend $75,000 on a pickup. The real question is how do the more widely-purchased trims stack up to one another; Laramie vs. Lariat, Bighorn vs. XLT. If the plastics and fabric used on these more commonly bought trims are still uninviting and cheap feeling, then it isn't much of a step up in my opinion.

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Overall changes look much better and to-date than the prior gen's, but most people aren't running out to spend $75,000 on a pickup. The real question is how do the more widely-purchased trims stack up to one another; Laramie vs. Lariat, Bighorn vs. XLT. If the plastics and fabric used on these more commonly bought trims are still uninviting and cheap feeling, then it isn't much of a step up in my opinion.
Agree. For the difference in price it’s just not a big thing. Now if you tow I feel Ford is a better platform due to their strong ecoboost 3.5 and the ability to get a true hd half suspension. However since I don’t tow, it’s moot.

Ccm12

Reaction score
The limited front badging is awful. I do like their advancement on tailgate. And I still don’t know why ram doesn’t have a cab 120v plug which ford and Chevy got

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The limited front badging is awful. I do like their advancement on tailgate. And I still don’t know why ram doesn’t have a cab 120v plug which ford and Chevy got
I have two 110V plugs in the cab and another in the RamBox.

Users who are viewing this thread