5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do we think of the new F150 interior?

Maconi

Reaction score

I'm a bit disappointed with it. I was hoping the other brands might be able to 1-up Ram (which would encourage Ram to do even better next revision, customer wins) but it's not that great IMO. Much better than the current F150 interior, but I still think the Ram wins (unless you need the ability to lay the seats down like that).

All of those extra tech features are neat though (not enough for anyone to switch brands IMO but hopefully the other brands implement similar things eventually).

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's slight improvement but still looks similiar to the old interior they had with a bigger screen. The knobs area with the black plastic still looks a bit cheap.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It’s much better than before. If they do this kind of update to the Super Duty lineup, I may need to look at them a little closer...

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Maconi brought up the 2021 F150 thread with 4 or 5 pages but whatever.... There are a half dozen threads at least on the a/c .....

If I had to buy a 2021 truck, the F150 would be the winner for me. One, the Ram would virtually be the same as I have. Two, I like the F150 inside and out. Plus the true hybrid 3.5l ecoboost isn't much more than the etorque $2,500. But, I don't think I'll swap trucks in 2021. So y'all are stuck with me for another year... ;)

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I'm a bit disappointed with it. I was hoping the other brands might be able to 1-up Ram (which would encourage Ram to do even better next revision, customer wins) but it's not that great IMO. Much better than the current F150 interior, but I still think the Ram wins (unless you need the ability to lay the seats down like that).

All of those extra tech features are neat though (not enough for anyone to switch brands IMO but hopefully the other brands implement similar things eventually).

My Limited seats can lay flat like that.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Its an improvement but where FCA really needs an update is with the 5.7.
Its had no power increases since 2009, the new ZF trans is an step but it needs a power improvement in a 6.2/6.4 NA engine or a low boost 6.2 option. The interior is fine and Ford and GM are not likely to change anything other than materials

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
IMHO, the front exterior is an improvement, but still leaves the blocky look to the rest of the truck. I assume the video conveyed the interiors of the various trim lines, however the King's Ranch version seems to match the mid-level Laramie. It's hard to tell but it looks like there's still a fair amount of hard plastic bezel pieces in a predominate position on the instrument panel. The center area design is awkward and too prominent to my eye and conveys a brutish look. The cluster graphics, while intriguing to some I suppose, comes off as entry level video game and a waste of effort just to show pictures of the vehicle.

The selection of zone lighting is clever and may be useful to some, but I've been trying to imagine how I would use it without any solid conclusions. The retracting gearshift lever may in fact be useful, especially when needing a work platform for a laptop as demonstrated in the video. But even this is flaccid when you think about it since Ram has a knob mounted on the dash negating a need for a shift lever at all. A neat concept that wastes Ford engineering talent and drives cost that could be used elsewhere.

What I thought the best idea and concept in the video was the rear passenger area design with allocated storage area, folding platform to cover it, and lockable seats to prevent unauthorized access. Both my 4th gen Rams had compartmentalize under-seat storage which I really liked. In fact, I've actually come to dislike the flat rear floor on my Laramie because anything approaching round or smooth shifts door-to-door on turns.

Pending an actual look at a production vehicle, overall I think the new F-150 is a significant step forward, especially to those driving a current F-150. Whether or not buyers will find enthusiasm in the changes will take time to tell. The real test is whether Ford pulls buyers away from Ram. One thing is certain in my mind: it makes the Silverado/Sierra far, far less appealing.

Regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036444 miles.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The retracting gearshift lever may in fact be useful, especially when needing a work platform for a laptop as demonstrated in the video. But even this is flaccid when you think about it since Ram has a knob mounted on the dash negating a need for a shift lever at all. A neat concept that wastes Ford engineering talent and drives cost that could be used elsewhere
Agreed completely. Why over-engineer this part, of all things?

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like Ford trucks...but everytime I look at the grill and lights of my Limited...I'm glad I went RAM... all the other trucks have that brick-wall looking front, and it's a tired look in my opinion.

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Consider it a tribute to Ram. The Ram interior design advanced LD pickup trucks so much that a competitor has (had) to do something that would not be perceived as mimicking Ram. So here come the flash and gizmos as an attempt to differentiate from a leading interior design. You have to give Ford credit for making significant changes so soon into this generation. With Ram sales up 14% from the previous quarter, they are obviously feeling the pressure.

The bigger story is what will GM do. The goalposts have now moved quite a bit. Their current interiors seem to be mild refreshes of their previous versions, which were already a dull execution in my opinion. I've been in two 2020s and I frankly find the interiors not much more appealing than a Tradesman. (On the other hand, I can't believe the discounts I've seen on Chevy/GMs in the last few years.)

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 036444 miles.

highgear2005

Reaction score
Having owned two recent f150. Ford should focus on making a door handle that doesn’t freeze! And fix that awful IWE problem. This is why I switched back to ram. My experience with Ford was terrible! Frankly I don’t care what they do. I’m happy with my ram!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paultg

Reaction score
I think about my wife spilling a huge coffee on that shifter and damaging it. I just see the motorized shifter as a future problem. Be curious to see how well it works in colder climates too. I had a ‘90 Ford Probe & ‘93 Villager Can with the motorized seat belts....

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'm not currently shopping for a truck, so I haven't looked at any F150's in person. After watching that video I have to say that Ford has stepped up their game. I like the fold flat center console, but dislike that the shifter has to fold down. I like the locking storage area under the rear seat, but dislike that you have to use a key for it. I like the center stack display but dislike the layout of the rest of the center stack. I dislike the totally digital cluster. It looks cool but there is no redundancy for the display failing. In conclusion, I like many of the improvements. Of course I'd have to experience this in person to be sure. But from what the video shows, it's not enough to pull me away from Ram.

5thGenRebel_AMK

Ram Guru
Reaction score
until someone comes out with a better transmission than the ZF and puts it in one of the competitor's, i could never drive any truck other than a ram. these trucks are such a pleasure to drive with this powertrain combo

Zig10

Reaction score
I've got an '18 Expedition as well as my Ram, and the interior of that is a pretty nice place to be. Not on par with the Ram, but not bad at all. I'd have to sit in a new F150 to see what changes had been made, but I don't think they're going to be too far off, depending on one's tastes.

The shifter, though, is just dumb. They already have a rotary shifter on the Expys, and there was no need to reinvent the wheel with that hiding unit. That'll end up biting them in the ****.

Sir Ramcelot

Reaction score
If you like your trucks boxy and non aero-dynamic, go with the Ford or Silverado/Sierra. Ram just looks so much better from a styling stand-point. The Ram interior is still #1 and the new F-150 front end to me is meh but I can't stand the back-end. I agree the F-150 stepped up their game from the current version and it spells absolute doom for Silverado/Sierra because they were banking on that 2021 Tahoe interior update for their Silverado/Sierra and that update will still be a farrrrrrr distant 3rd to Ford and then Ram at #1. Back to the drawing board GM.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They've "leaked" pricing on the F150 over the weekend. They're gonna be over $80,000 for a Limited 4X4 hybrid with all the boxes checked. The King Ranch and Platinum I think end up in the low to mid 70's. They won't be cheap....

Users who are viewing this thread