5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Surprise surprise.
Completely Dead battery. Zero. Nada. Average life span. 1 year and 7 months each time. This will be my 3 rd battery. First one was cover under warranty
Could it be your accesories? I'm still on my oem battery.

Grape_Ape

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was thinking the same thing. My 19 is on the oem. Maybe I should replace before it lets me sit at the worst time and place…?
It's a fairly common problem but I also feel like most of the guys I see having issues also have auxiliary lights. So figured I'd ask. Probably wouldn't hurt to go ahead and replace yours. I'm probably going to do mine as well within the yr.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Surprise surprise.
Completely Dead battery. Zero. Nada. Average life span. 1 year and 7 months each time. This will be my 3 rd battery. First one was cover under warranty
I went to start my truck and it was acting finicky today. We’ve been 100+ temps but I replaced the battery in December 23. All my power on dash was on the power running boards deployed, went to crank and not even a stutter I cycled it off and on 5 or more times and finally it decided to start. Let it sit and run for 15 minutes and it was fine after that.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Could it be your accesories? I'm still on my oem battery.
Nah. I don't think so. 1st one went out before i installed any of the lights.
I did ask the dealer to check for any parasite draw the first time but they found nothing wrong. Gave a new battery and was told by the service adviser that they were seeing plenty of batteries going out at an average of 2 years. So i am below the average.

billfraley

Reaction score
Here is what I did to my Ram yesterday. For anyone not following the console shifter swap thread, I was able to get the console shifter working by simply unplugging the rotary connector and extending it, wire to wire, to the body to console connector. Keep in mind I have a complete TRX console and it is already wired for the shifter. The only wire I did not have to extend is the black wire from the original connector. I created a temporary extension harness, until I can get the correct connector and pins. This is a completely reversible method and the transfer case buttons still function, so no need to replace the controller.

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did I do? Drove it home 500+ miles with a ****eyed steering wheel and constant pulling to the right.

Thanks to some young girl in a mini cooper that couldn't follow road signs and decided to turn right into my passenger side wheel.

Thankfully, truck took it like a champ and seems like only alignment got knocked off. No body damage for me but her mini got f***ed.

Then, about 200 miles into the drive home I get the "service electronic stability control". Idk if its related to the hit or just coincidence but it was a stressful 8 hr drive home.

Attachments

• 20240714_140835.jpg
    20240714_140835.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240714_140827.jpg
    20240714_140827.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20240714_140823.jpg
    20240714_140823.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 41

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would switch up to an AGM if you are still putting in lead acid.
Thats the plan. After browsing on what every autoparts store offer around here i think i will give the everstart platinum agm a chance. Its the only one that offers 4 year replacement. It gets good reviews.
I was also considering the sams club duracell platinum agm 3 year warranty, this based on my own experience in my other vehicles. Going on 4 years and half on one of them.
The other vehicle has way less electronics than the ram but great experience is a great thing to consider.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thats the plan. After browsing on what every autoparts store offer around here i think i will give the everstart platinum agm a chance. Its the only one that offers 4 year replacement. It gets good reviews.
I was also considering the sams club duracell platinum agm 3 year warranty, this based on my own experience in my other vehicles. Going on 4 years and half on one of them.
The other vehicle has way less electronics than the ram but great experience is a great thing to consider.
I always recommend the Everstart and use myself with no issues and save money. Plus there is a Walmart almost everywhere when travveling.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did I do? Drove it home 500+ miles with a ****eyed steering wheel and constant pulling to the right.

Thanks to some young girl in a mini cooper that couldn't follow road signs and decided to turn right into my passenger side wheel.

Thankfully, truck took it like a champ and seems like only alignment got knocked off. No body damage for me but her mini got f***ed.

Then, about 200 miles into the drive home I get the "service electronic stability control". Idk if its related to the hit or just coincidence but it was a stressful 8 hr drive home.
Most cars have the wheel speed sensor in the hub, and some designs lose sensor capability if the bearings loosen. After a dozen gm, I generally wait for this service light to know when it is getting loose enough to change. I’ve done 4th gens as well, but you should definitely trace this down to see if it is the hub that got hit. Insurance may cover the replacement then.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good choice, but get the H8 AGM. It's like $170 and still has a 4-year warranty

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most cars have the wheel speed sensor in the hub, and some designs lose sensor capability if the bearings loosen. After a dozen gm, I generally wait for this service light to know when it is getting loose enough to change. I’ve done 4th gens as well, but you should definitely trace this down to see if it is the hub that got hit. Insurance may cover the replacement then.

Makes sense, I'll be removing the wheel soon here and checking it out.

I'm not sure if I'm even going to file a claim. I really don't want to. Had some accidents about 5 years ago that have been haunting my insurance rates 😑

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Makes sense, I'll be removing the wheel soon here and checking it out.

I'm not sure if I'm even going to file a claim. I really don't want to. Had some accidents about 5 years ago that have been haunting my insurance rates 😑
Sounds like other river was at fault, so should have zero effect on your insurance rates. Hopefully got her insurance information

SkittleRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Took Skittle on a 3 day camping trip and God bless my family, they are over packers!!!!
Camping.jpg

Then while camping, my battery took a dump and after 4 years of service, I can't really complain, the timing was just not the best and I had very limited tools to change it. I initially called AAA to replace the battery as they have that service and I did not want to spend time messing with it while on vacation. Well, that was a **** show, they told me they could not replace it because the truck would need to be reset, I told them to please change it anyway and when I get home I can have the dealer rest if necessary. Still would not change it, so I had him jump it and I went to Walmart and bought the 4yr AGM battery @ $179 and changed it out myself with nothing but a mini crescent wrench...

So far everything is good, lost the backup camera for about a day, but all is well! Made it home without issue. Fun times!

Prior to the trip, my wife broke my passenger-side sun visor, so I have a new one on order, but they seem to be back ordered....ugh. So this was my solution and so far it is been holding and yes it works and moves just fine.
Sunvisor.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread