5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

85octane

Reaction score
You could get a vacuum actuated one like the old cars used to use. Throw on a check valve and you could even remotely actuate... Sounds like a waste to me with losing the ability to add a slight bit of heat to the AC on humid nights

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240619_140928_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20240619_140928_Samsung Internet.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 37

jeffrich77

Reaction score
You could get a vacuum actuated one like the old cars used to use. Throw on a check valve and you could even remotely actuate... Sounds like a waste to me with losing the ability to add a slight bit of heat to the AC on humid nights

That's kind of why I went with the valve so it's easy to go back quickly if needed. According to the Amazon instructions you can also run it in 1/4-1/2 open position when you might need a little heat as in spring/fall. That scenario with humidity and needing some heat has happened very rarely for me over the 30yrs I've been driving so it's worth the extra effort once in a while for me.

I forgot to mention before but in addition to the colder air, I was equally blown away by how fast the cold comes out vs the way it was before. The interior was roasting hot when I got in it this morning and I had cold air in a matter of seconds.

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's kind of why I went with the valve so it's easy to go back quickly if needed. According to the Amazon instructions you can also run it in 1/4-1/2 open position when you might need a little heat as in spring/fall. That scenario with humidity and needing some heat has happened very rarely for me over the 30yrs I've been driving so it's worth the extra effort once in a while for me.

I forgot to mention before but in addition to the colder air, I was equally blown away by how fast the cold comes out vs the way it was before. The interior was roasting hot when I got in it this morning and I had cold air in a matter of seconds.
I just thought of doing this mod for the heck of it. But I don't think I want to spend $60 CDN for the 2 days per year that we go above 25degrees C.

@Dogpatch might want to consider it. I know his neck of the woods can get pretty toasty sometimes.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just thought of doing this mod for the heck of it. But I don't think I want to spend $60 CDN for the 2 days per year that we go above 25degrees C.

@Dogpatch might want to consider it. I know his neck of the woods can get pretty toasty sometimes.
You should be able to source the parts locally, there's nothing special about the kit, just a 5/8 ball valve and 3 inches of 5/8 heater hose and some hose clamps

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I don't think our 2021s are affected.

I took this pic last Saturday when it was 90s outside.

Attachments

• PXL_20240615_202040771.jpg
    PXL_20240615_202040771.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 72

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score

The valve would have had no effect on how fast the cab cools down, as the engine doesn't instantly get hot when you first start it

jeffrich77

Reaction score
The valve would have had no effect on how fast the cab cools down, as the engine doesn't instantly get hot when you first start it
Maybe it would if it had just had hot coolant circulated in it 20 minutes earlier from driving I don't know. But it really did cool down faster and colder.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it would if it had just had hot coolant circulated in it 20 minutes earlier from driving I don't know. But it really did cool down faster and colder.
You said it was roasting hot when you got in this morning. That led me to believe it had sat overnight and engine was cooled down. If that wasn't the case, then more details would have helped

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score

It gets “Stinkin” hot here in the summer.
However, my A/C works like a damn and you could keep your beer cold inside. I usually have to turn the temperature up to take the chill off. Having Vented seats also make it bearable without dropping the temp too low.

Reaction score
after a 6 month process of slowly searching and swapping the interior from big horn level 2(b) to Laramie. I finally installed the led overhead console and rear door panels. Hopefully the center led dome light comes in tomorrow as planned. PS: finding quad cab Laramies are dang near impossible. I searched 3 months for the rear seats and the last 6 months trying to find rear door panels.

jeffrich77

Reaction score
You said it was roasting hot when you got in this morning. That led me to believe it had sat overnight and engine was cooled down. If that wasn't the case, then more details would have helped

Yes, it was roasting hot after I spent about 20-25 minutes inside the chiropractors office after driving there so the engine was fully warm. I should have added those details so it didn't imply a cold start. Good catch, thanks.

irishwake63

Reaction score
I can now confirm the heater core block off mod does indeed work. I did not use a thermometer before/after but the AC is very noticeably colder with the valve shut.
I would be concerned about coolant settling in the core and not being circulated may cause some issues down the road with settlement or acidic coolant just sitting in the aluminum core is coolant acidic? thoughts?

Biggiehorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't think our 2021s are affected.

I took this pic last Saturday when it was 90s outside.
I just did this to my 2021 a few weeks ago and recently posted an update about it on my IG. From everything I read in the dedicated AC Performance thread, it seems like some early 2021s do have the issue, but most do not. With that info, I decided to try the valve on my truck just to see what difference it made, if any.

With the valve closed, I thought it felt cooler in the cab but the difference wasn't anything drastic like what most 2019 and 2020 owners claim to have. I decided to get average temp readings over the course of the week during the morning and afternoon hours. Both temp tools were providing nearly identical results. I found 3.5-4.0 degrees colder with the valve closed vs open. These results were consistent across the entire week.

Based on the results, I wouldn't think my truck has the dreaded AC performance that the 2019 and 2020s are known for, at the same time, I also found it odd that there was cooling improvement because everything that I read in the forum thread led me to believe that there would not be any temperature differences at all if the the fix was already in place.

Attachments

• IMG_3552.jpeg
    IMG_3552.jpeg
    100.9 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3553.jpeg
    IMG_3553.jpeg
    78.3 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_3554.jpeg
    IMG_3554.jpeg
    101.7 KB · Views: 44

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Well, it did take a week and a half to datalog/email/diag and wait for FCA response, so yeah, 4 weeks to ship...
Just to close this out, my truck got delivered to my work today, because they really wanted the rental car back. 48V battery changed and 13.5V on the dash, a week earlier than predicted. All good for now.

FLiPMaRC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just did this to my 2021 a few weeks ago and recently posted an update about it on my IG. From everything I read in the dedicated AC Performance thread, it seems like some early 2021s do have the issue, but most do not. With that info, I decided to try the valve on my truck just to see what difference it made, if any.

With the valve closed, I thought it felt cooler in the cab but the difference wasn't anything drastic like what most 2019 and 2020 owners claim to have. I decided to get average temp readings over the course of the week during the morning and afternoon hours. Both temp tools were providing nearly identical results. I found 3.5-4.0 degrees colder with the valve closed vs open. These results were consistent across the entire week.

Based on the results, I wouldn't think my truck has the dreaded AC performance that the 2019 and 2020s are known for, at the same time, I also found it odd that there was cooling improvement because everything that I read in the forum thread led me to believe that there would not be any temperature differences at all if the the fix was already in place.
Are those readings while you're running or just idling? I find it gets colder when you're running.

Users who are viewing this thread