5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Insanity

Reaction score
First time I changed oil in anything with a top cartridge was on a customers Polaris sling shot. Thought it was strange at first but then I realized just how much easier and cleaner it is.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used a filter relocator and Fumoto on a new F150 years ago. I find all my older vehicles are easy and not worth the trouble. Newer stuff I now just take to the dealer. Most around here charge about what it costs me to buy the filter and oil. Why get dirty and have to dispose of the oil for the same cost? It's the only non warranty work I trust to anyone though.

Davidbt

Reaction score
I used a filter relocator and Fumoto on a new F150 years ago. I find all my older vehicles are easy and not worth the trouble. Newer stuff I now just take to the dealer. Most around here charge about what it costs me to buy the filter and oil. Why get dirty and have to dispose of the oil for the same cost? It's the only non warranty work I trust to anyone though.
My thoughts are exactly as yours. I had a 22 Gladiator that was extremely easy to change the oil. My 21 1500 will go to the dealer.

OCD Solutions

Reaction score
Last night I parked my Ram like a conscientious human being.

Unlike this **** head.

02c3ed65e7d1c716a6c29208ca595d70.jpg

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Unlike this **** head.

My old boss used to park like this up against the building where everyone walked. His draw bar was always dirty and rusty and looked just like the dark gravel of the lot... 😡

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Unlike this **** head.

I‘d park like you, but I guess it depends on the length of the truck. I used to have a Ram 2500 Mega Cab CTD with a 6.5’ bed. Man, that thing was long. If I didn’t park like that guy, my truck would stick out and impede traffic flow. I’d rather back in more and eliminate some ******* from taking off my front bumper, knowing full well in this day and age, they would NEVER take responsibility. I’d be stuck paying the deductible myself.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Forgive me for not reading all 1734 pages, but this thread came up in a search, so I have a question. When changing the oil filter, do you fill it first (Prime), or let the engine fill it on startup?
The reason I ask, I had the dealer change my oil, and the next morning I looked under the engine and found a lot of oil under the filter which is normal for a sloppy job. But I found evidence of oil pouring over the filter as it was installed. Now I cleaned it up and the oil all over my front end, and found no leak and the oil level remained the same.
That got me to thinking about priming the oil filter before installation. I've never primed my oil filters over my 64 years, is it required for the Hemi 5.7?

BrandonSmith

Reaction score
Forgive me for not reading all 1734 pages, but this thread came up in a search, so I have a question. When changing the oil filter, do you fill it first (Prime), or let the engine fill it on startup?
The reason I ask, I had the dealer change my oil, and the next morning I looked under the engine and found a lot of oil under the filter which is normal for a sloppy job. But I found evidence of oil pouring over the filter as it was installed. Now I cleaned it up and the oil all over my front end, and found no leak and the oil level remained the same.
That got me to thinking about priming the oil filter before installation. I've never primed my oil filters over my 64 years, is it required for the Hemi 5.7?
If you change your own oil, you will see why. It is not from installing the filter primed, it is from removing the old filter. It pours right down on top of the steering rack. There are a few ways of avoiding this, but not completely.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

I prefill my oil filter before installing it but that doesn't cause what you're describing

BigGsc

Reaction score
I’ve always pre-filled my filters when I oil the o-ring and sometimes when I snake them up to their mounting location, I’ve spilled a little fresh oil. I wipe it off but it might be hard to get to all of it once installed. If you’re sure it was new oil, it’s possible that’s what happened. But it could also be old oil that didn’t get cleaned up.

Edit: I’m not aware of a special need on the Hemi to pre-fill the filter, I’ve just always done it that way on my vehicles.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
I just never did it, my reasoning is, how do you pre fill a filter installed horizontally. I'm new to gas engines after 2004 when I purchased my 1st Ram 2500 CTD, that I would change myself. On Edit, except for my 4.3 Mercruiser engine that had the filter installed horizontally

The filter was changed per the service invoice, as it should have been anyway, so thats the only explanation for evidence of oil running down the side of it, that it was pre filled.

I guess it falls back to the old saying, "if you want it done right, do it yourself". So I'll be doing my own from now on. I can see why its hard to keep oil from spilling, its a really tight area.

Last edited:

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I just never did it, my reasoning is, how do you pre fill a filter installed horizontally. I'm new to gas engines after 2004 when I purchased my 1st Ram 2500 CTD, that I would change myself.

The filter was changed per the service invoice, as it should have been anyway, so thats the only explanation for evidence of oil running down the side of it, that it was pre filled.

I guess it falls back to the old saying, "if you want it done right, do it yourself". So I'll be doing my own from now on. I can see why its hard to keep oil from spilling, its a really tight area

On a horizontal oil filter, Id just start the car in clear flood mode (hold the gas pedal to the floor while starting and not lifting your foot). This will engage the starter to start the engine but with no fuel and no spark; the rpms are slow enough that you can pressurize the oil system but do no damage to the engine.

Hit the engine start button again to disengage the starter or take your foot off the gas after about 10-12 seconds and let the engine start
I've always done this regardless of whether I prefill the oil filter or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online