5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Started the process of switching my fleet of things to grey. With my one motorcycle last year. Now we went with a new turbo outback. Truck will be next
7c478647b86aa8807e6d3d4e9987837f.jpg

9ea72f50965134bff99c774d0d44b687.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
yea think you are right, just once or twice I have come back to find one of my mirrors folded in by someone at a public parking lot. I noticed that if I use the button it makes a worrisome noise since it is trying to folded it in when it already is. Atleast I think that is what is happening, and I think this is one of the things that could damage it faster
Why not just push it back out by hand instead of trying to use the button?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
The reason most fail is because of running them through the auto car wash. The rotating brushes catch them, and wham. Gears are toasted. folding them with the button in tight parking spaces beats having some douch-bag push them by hand and toast the gears. Folding them without using the motor is the problem.

I've accidentally bumped my mirrors and they folded forward or back and with very little resistance. If damage was occurring, I would expect some resistance or a grinding noise.

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've accidentally bumped my mirrors and they folded forward or back and with very little resistance. If damage was occurring, I would expect some resistance or a grinding noise.
Bumping them is one thing, but forcing them all the way forward or to the window is different. They have cheap plastic gears that after a couple of times, chip and/or break off. Happened to me with the car wash brushes. There are a few other threads here and on other forums about it.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer called me. Past my Ram warranty coverage and extended warranty doesn’t cover water ingress.
I’m on the hook for the repair cost for the 3rd Brake Light leak.
$#@%!?$.

It’s not the cost of the repair of the leak I worry about, it’s the stains on the friggin headliner that’s got me concerned!

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Why not just push it back out by hand instead of trying to use the button?
that's what I plan on doing,
The 1st time I wasn't expecting to hear a grinding noise and second time I honestly forgot about the grinding noise - I just went straight to the button
at home and work I always fold my mirrors, its at other parking places that I don't always do it specially if I parked way in the back

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I can confirm a grinding noise those couple of times it has happened to me, but I would image this would accelerate broken gears

Idahoktm

Reaction score
Bumping them is one thing, but forcing them all the way forward or to the window is different. They have cheap plastic gears that after a couple of times, chip and/or break off. Happened to me with the car wash brushes. There are a few other threads here and on other forums about it.

I bumped them all the way forward/back. They didn't need to be forced to fold. They move pretty easily.

Yeah, I've read those threads, but it doesn't seem like that's the primary cause. Cheap plastic gears that are misaligned and motors that continue retracting the mirror when it's already at the stops seems to be the most common cause.

I rarely fold mine in, so hopefully they last a while.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
They are designed to be able to be folded manually. I have moved my mirrors manually multiple times. Never heard any grinding or strange noises. And power-fold still works fine

Idahoktm

Reaction score
I can confirm a grinding noise those couple of times it has happened to me, but I would image this would accelerate broken gears

The two times I've bumped them forward or back, I just folded them back out manually. The next time I used the button, they were smooth as silk.

Bertman

Reaction score
Put new tires on my truck, the stock tires lasted a whole 18,500 miles. 285/45r22 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s. Should be the compromise I was looking for to have a more aggressive tread than the stock tires without sacrificing mileage.

Attachments

• 20230516_121654.jpg
    20230516_121654.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 70
  • 20230516_112752.jpg
    20230516_112752.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 71
  • 20230516_121701.jpg
    20230516_121701.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 71

1.21gigawatts

7-Stringer
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The orange accents work so well on the Granite... I just might have to steal this idea...
Thanks, I really think it works well too! Trying to keep my self control to not do a ton of it. Haha. Not sure how much more before I’m at the line. 😂

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
I have no dog in this fight but just as info, I have folded my mirrors all the way forward and back manually a few times and I have no issues with my power folding. I could just be lucky though. I did it when I was changing my mirror covers to the painted ones and changing my turn signals to some sequential ones.

HemiDude

Reaction score
It IS no different... IF you have the motorcycle equivalent of a hot rod or other exotic ride - which a Softail Spring is not. That is JAHD (Just Another H-D).

Some people like to ride. Some just like to participate in the "biker lifestyle".

If you actually like to ride, then riding to where you want to go is (usually) enjoyable. If you just want to be seen on your ride and be around other "bikers", then riding there and getting bugs all over yourself and your bike, or riding in pouring rain (or snow) or scorching heat won't be your cup o' tea.

A while back, I rode my ZX-9R Ninja all the way around the U.S.. 14,300 miles in 30 days. Loved it!

I rode my GSX-R1000 from San Francisco to DC. Took 4 or 5 days to do it, so I could sight-see. Hit Sturgis, Custer State Park, Flaming Gorge, Lake Tahoe, and a couple of other cool places along the way.

I've ridden over 1000 miles a day multiple times - on sportbikes. I've ridden 250 miles each way just to go to lunch and back several times.

I rode over to north GA last weekend to ride with some buddies. I worked on Thu, then rode 220 miles over, to get there. Then we rode 370 miles of all very twisty back roads on Fri. Rode another 270 miles of twisties on Sat, but knocked off early to be back for our cookout. Then rode a longer, more fun route home on Sunday. Another about 270 miles, I think.

Because I actually like to ride.

One of my main reasons for having a truck is for the occasions when my bike is sick and needs to go to the doctor. Otherwise, a big SUV would handle hauling my scuba gear around. I'd rather have a truck than an SUV and a trailer.
This is the mentality I have. I can only ride 2-3 hours max now before my sciatica takes over, but the ride is the reason I have a bike. If a destination is too far to ride, then I'll drive or fly. The only time I could ever foresee myself intentionally trailering a bike is if I sell the house, buy a TT/toy hauler and hit the road with the wife.

All of the four wheeled vehicles I've ever had went on long trips - even the "collectibles". My wife does not fondly recall spending hours in a big block corvette with no a/c, but she made those trips with me because she knew how much I enjoyed it. When I sold the vette and bought the SRT, she did enjoy those trips 😁. This Ram is the most I've ever spent on a vehicle, and I have the same expectations I always had - Drive It. I have art on my walls, anything with wheels, as beautiful as it may be, needs to be on the road 🍻

HemiDude

Reaction score
Put new tires on my truck, the stock tires lasted a whole 18,500 miles. 285/45r22 Cooper Discoverer AT3 4s. Should be the compromise I was looking for to have a more aggressive tread than the stock tires without sacrificing mileage.
I have those Coopers on my winter wheels, been very happy with them. Weight is just a little more than stock, as is road noise, and my average mpg drops maybe 1-2 in normal driving.

Users who are viewing this thread