5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Lpsouth1978

Reaction score
Thanks!

I think I need those brackets. They fit great there. Did you tap into a plug and play trailer harness?
I actually ran these into the cab and have a switch mounted inside. I wanted these to be used only when I chose. I also mounted a couple lights in the bumper flares that are additional backup lights. These come on only when I put the Truck in reverse. These are wired to the rear of the trailer wiring plug, using Curt adapters. This allows me to easily remove it and didn't require me to splice into any factory wiring. I have attached all of those parts below.

20220930_150011.jpg Screenshot 2023-02-15 193225.jpg Screenshot 2023-02-15 193303.jpg Screenshot 2023-02-15 193916.jpg

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like this from diode dynamics but also thinking about giving this auxbeam set a chance and run the wire to the blazer controller. If its too much light maybe just one would be enough. I think there are options to drill or mount it in the bumper.
Curious how bright these are. I could put two per bracket. One each pointing at a tire and one pointed back.

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So there's an off road club that you have to run rear yellow lights to join. I was hoping to get something to mount in the rear bed rail stake pockets, and plug into the trailer plug. Anyone done something like this before? I can make custom rubber expanding tie down type mounts for the stake pockets if they aren't readily available as such yet. Pics? Thanks.

Edit to add: A mount idea?
1676548644505.png

Last edited:

Jako

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I actually ran these into the cab and have a switch mounted inside. I wanted these to be used only when I chose. I also mounted a couple lights in the bumper flares that are additional backup lights. These come on only when I put the Truck in reverse. These are wired to the rear of the trailer wiring plug, using Curt adapters. This allows me to easily remove it and didn't require me to splice into any factory wiring. I have attached all of those parts below.

View attachment 151891 View attachment 151892 View attachment 151893 View attachment 151894
Just adding this 7 pin Curt in case auxiliary power is wanted.

RebelWraith

Polymath
Reaction score
So there's an off road club that you have to run rear yellow lights to join. I was hoping to get something to mount in the rear bed rail stake pockets, and plug into the trailer plug. Anyone done something like this before? I can make custom rubber expanding tie down type mounts for the stake pockets if they aren't readily available as such yet. Pics? Thanks.

Edit to add: A mount idea?
View attachment 151907
@Shifts And Grins Fab is working on something just like this. I'm anxiously awaiting the completion of the mounts for the same reason you need them.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
keep me posted if you move forward with this set, It will be a while before I pulled the trigger on anything
Will do. I think I may just order the brackets and a set of lights to play with.

I contacted Rough Country about just getting two more lights. They said they only offer as the kit with four and harness.

Shifts And Grins Fab

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
@Shifts And Grins Fab is working on something just like this. I'm anxiously awaiting the completion of the mounts for the same reason you need them.
I am test fitting a set next Thursday. We are almost there. I am currently without my truck so relying on friends and customers to test fit new products.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I re-did the wiring from my truck to my rooftop tent.

Underneath then tent, I've got this LED light strip that I've had for a while. Inside the tent, I've got a small plastic box with a fuse block, four USB-C ports for charging phones and stuff, and two DC ports; I use one to power a small electric mattress pad we use for cold weather camping.

IMG_0318.jpeg IMG_0317.jpeg
IMG_0319.jpeg

Prior to my recent mods, I would run wires from inside the tent to the junction box on the side of my truck, then another pair of wires from the LED strips to the same junction box. I'd have to get up in the tent to feed the wiring through and opening in the tent, and both pairs of wires would need to be undone before driving (meaning I'd need to get back up in the tent and pull the wires back inside before closing the tent.

None of that is the end of the world, but if I arrive at camp late, particularly when it's cold, I'd rather not have to do that.

So with this new setup, I ran the wiring for the under-tent light strip into the tent. This involved drilling a small hole through the tent floor, and using rubber grommets to protect the wires and keep the hole mostly sealed. Now, instead of using separate wires to connect to the junction box, the under tent lights run to the fuse block inside the tent. That drops the number of wires I need to connect from two to one.

Further, instead of having to feed wires out an opening the tent, I drilled another hole to run those wires, then terminated them with an Anderson SB50 connector. That's enclosed in a spring-loaded cover from Trailer Vision. That's probably overkill, since the connector is already on the underside of the tent and protected from rain.

Now, I've got a short (~2 foot) cable, with SB50 connectors on both ends, that connects to another SB50 connector on the junction box. That junction box connector also has a spring loaded connector on it, so when I don't have my tent on my bed rack, it keeps the connector protected. And a great thing about Anderson connectors is they hold strong, so I don't have to undo connections before hitting the road. And that, of course, means that when we make it to camp, we're good to go.

(Underneath the SB50 connector in the second photo is a pair of covered Anderson Powerpole connectors. This is how I used to connect power to the tent and lights. Powerpole connectors are great, but they aren't as robust as SB50 connectors, which is one reason I'd have to disconnect them before hitting the road).

The best improvement was a dimmer switch (the small glowing blue circle in the last image) to the bottom of the tent, near the tailgate. This controls the under-tent lights. I previously had a different dimmer switch, but I had it near the cab of the truck, which made it much less convenient to use. I'll typically want the lights on when I'm cooking on the tailgate, so having the dimmer right there is super convenient. Plus, I can now reach out from the tent to turn off the lights instead of having to turn them on before getting into the tent. Or, if nature calls in the middle of the night, I can turn on the lights before heading down.

Not shown in these pictures, I also added an LED light strip inside the tent, along with a dimmer switch. The tent came with a velcro lightstrip, which would hook up to a portable USB battery pack. So that was three connections I'd have to make. It might seem trivial, but eliminating these setup and break down tasks will make camping more enjoyable. My wife and our two dogs are going camping this weekend, so we'll get to try all this out.

Astute observers may notice the light pods (not turned on in these photos) near the tailgate. More to come on these later, but I also got around to wiring them up this week.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I re-did the wiring from my truck to my rooftop tent.

Underneath then tent, I've got this LED light strip that I've had for a while. Inside the tent, I've got a small plastic box with a fuse block, four USB-C ports for charging phones and stuff, and two DC ports; I use one to power a small electric mattress pad we use for cold weather camping.

View attachment 151999 View attachment 152000
View attachment 152001

Prior to my recent mods, I would run wires from inside the tent to the junction box on the side of my truck, then another pair of wires from the LED strips to the same junction box. I'd have to get up in the tent to feed the wiring through and opening in the tent, and both pairs of wires would need to be undone before driving (meaning I'd need to get back up in the tent and pull the wires back inside before closing the tent.

None of that is the end of the world, but if I arrive at camp late, particularly when it's cold, I'd rather not have to do that.

So with this new setup, I ran the wiring for the under-tent light strip into the tent. This involved drilling a small hole through the tent floor, and using rubber grommets to protect the wires and keep the hole mostly sealed. Now, instead of using separate wires to connect to the junction box, the under tent lights run to the fuse block inside the tent. That drops the number of wires I need to connect from two to one.

Further, instead of having to feed wires out an opening the tent, I drilled another hole to run those wires, then terminated them with an Anderson SB50 connector. That's enclosed in a spring-loaded cover from Trailer Vision. That's probably overkill, since the connector is already on the underside of the tent and protected from rain.

Now, I've got a short (~2 foot) cable, with SB50 connectors on both ends, that connects to another SB50 connector on the junction box. That junction box connector also has a spring loaded connector on it, so when I don't have my tent on my bed rack, it keeps the connector protected. And a great thing about Anderson connectors is they hold strong, so I don't have to undo connections before hitting the road. And that, of course, means that when we make it to camp, we're good to go.

(Underneath the SB50 connector in the second photo is a pair of covered Anderson Powerpole connectors. This is how I used to connect power to the tent and lights. Powerpole connectors are great, but they aren't as robust as SB50 connectors, which is one reason I'd have to disconnect them before hitting the road).

The best improvement was a dimmer switch (the small glowing blue circle in the last image) to the bottom of the tent, near the tailgate. This controls the under-tent lights. I previously had a different dimmer switch, but I had it near the cab of the truck, which made it much less convenient to use. I'll typically want the lights on when I'm cooking on the tailgate, so having the dimmer right there is super convenient. Plus, I can now reach out from the tent to turn off the lights instead of having to turn them on before getting into the tent. Or, if nature calls in the middle of the night, I can turn on the lights before heading down.

Not shown in these pictures, I also added an LED light strip inside the tent, along with a dimmer switch. The tent came with a velcro lightstrip, which would hook up to a portable USB battery pack. So that was three connections I'd have to make. It might seem trivial, but eliminating these setup and break down tasks will make camping more enjoyable. My wife and our two dogs are going camping this weekend, so we'll get to try all this out.

Astute observers may notice the light pods (not turned on in these photos) near the tailgate. More to come on these later, but I also got around to wiring them up this week.
that is really clean. cleaner that what I did lolll

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
that is really clean. cleaner that what I did lolll
Thanks. It took me a couple of iterations to arrive at this setup, but I think I mostly nailed it this time.

There's another advantage to having these Anderson connections: I can temporarily disconnect the tent and hookup my air compressor. Previously, I'd have to connect the air compressor to the battery box I keep in the bed, but having an external connector should be much more convenient. (If I wanted to keep the tent connected while using the air compressor, I could build a simple Anderson Y-cable).

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There's another advantage to having these Anderson connections: I can temporarily disconnect the tent and hookup my air compressor. Previously, I'd have to connect the air compressor to the battery box I keep in the bed, but having an external connector should be much more convenient. (If I wanted to keep the tent connected while using the air compressor, I could build a simple Anderson Y-cable).
They are also stackable and have a variety of useful accessories available, like bulkhead feedthroughs, weather seal boots, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread