5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's kinda what I'm seeing. I just like light trails and camping. I don't need to prove I can drive over or through everything.

I will say the off road pages pitch/yaw is nice for RTT camping. However, wish I had gone with Timber Grove air bags to help level the truck vs the Airlift 1000's.
Can you expand on what the difference is between the bags, or what difference you are trying to get?

I think I asked in a different thread, but narrowing down the plan. Has anyone disconnected the cab cargo light from the BCM and run it to a basic switch to be able to use it? Mine doesn’t work when I’m hauling dirt bikes down a bumpy road. Will I need to disable it with Alpha or Tazer?

Last edited:

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can you expand on what the difference is between the bags, or what difference you are trying to get?

I think I asked in a different thread, but narrowing down the plan. Has anyone disconnected the cab cargo light from the BCM and run it to a basic switch to be able to use it? Mine doesn’t work when I’m hauling dirt bikes down a bumpy road.
Sure. The Airlift 1000 bags go inside the springs. They don't really provide lift so much as stiffen the springs up, by expanding against the coils and providing resistance to movement.

What most folks consider as air bags and what the Timber Groves are, mount outside the springs and can easily provide lift.

In the case of leveling my truck side to side it might have been possible to lower air pressure on the uphill side and it allow very minimal drop, but probably not noticeable. However, with the Timber Groves I could have reduced pressure uphill and increased pressure downhill and got some leveling effect.

As for the cargo light, I was thinking mine would come on while driving, but none of the others would (mirrors, bed, tailgate).

Last edited:

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Got my new bumper installed. Worst part was getting the parking sensors and harness off the factory bumper. New bumper has holes for the wire harness Christmas tree
View attachment 148277 View attachment 148278 View attachment 148279 View attachment 148280 View attachment 148281
I gotta admit, that’s probably my favorite aftermarket bumper I’ve seen for our trucks! I’m not in the market for one, but if I was - this would be at the top of my list. Looks sporty but not cheap and looks beefy but not overdone. I usually dislike bull bars too but I actually think it looks great here.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, I am lucky. I found a city girl almost 20 years ago, and brought her home to the country and she won't go back.

We camp year round, but don't usually venture more than an hour or two from home. We've been talking about going out west to do some overlanding, hiking, biking...

I've been outdoors my whole life and spent a lot of time out with my wife and kids, but overlanding is new to us. We're trying to get it right, so we can head out west. Just can't make up our minds on which vehicle to setup. My truck works great for the mild off roading we're doing now.

View attachment 148151
Rebel is more than capable for overlanding, unless you're doing extended time period travel (weeks/ months) then I'd say a 2500 with habitat camper shell is recommended.
And if you do start overlanding, be sure to spend lots of money on gears you don't use but strapped on your truck and start your mornings with either gourmet coffee at campsites or starbucks like overlanders do ;)

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
And if you do start overlanding, be sure to spend lots of money on gears you don't use but strapped on your truck and start your mornings with either gourmet coffee at campsites or starbucks like overlanders do ;)
It’s funny because it’s so true 🤣😂🤣 I saw someone on Instagram say the definition of overlanding is “disposable income” lol

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From Thursday to Sunday:
drove to my friend's house and took off the heavy RTT that I had. 3 guys did the job with the truck lifted on Fox whereas it took 4 guys to put it on when truck was stock.
Ordered Inspired Overland RTT and will be driving up to NorCal either Tuesday night for Wednesday install or Thursday night for Friday install. I prefer not to mess with Friday the 13th traffic so crossing my fingers that the crew at Inspired can put me on for Wednesday.

I also replaced all 112 nuts and bolts on my bed rack and torqued all of them to 33 lb/ft with a torque wrench. That whole process took me about 3 hours lol

Also cleaned the interior of my truck. I did a wipe down after spending the weekend in a sandstorm, but that was not enough. I had sand everywhere inside, even after the wipe down. So I vacuumed the entire interior, took out all floormats and power washed them, did another round of wipe down, cleaned the inside of all windows (I vape when I drive and vape clouds stick to the windows), cleaned the windshield and applied some 10 year old RainX in preparation for my drive to NorCal in the storm this coming week. Not sure if it's going to work or not but it's better than having a windshield that does not bead water.

Now I'm sore all over the place.

Last edited:

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It’s funny because it’s so true 🤣😂🤣 I saw someone on Instagram say the definition of overlanding is “disposable income” lol
it is true lol
As my intro in my build thread wrote:
Overland means driving long distance to some remote place to camp. The process of getting there is part of the fun while destination is equally important. I may or may not have the problem of carrying too much gear that I don't use.
I've been doing this for a couple years and my journey went from 0-60 real quick lol

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

RAMonkey

Reaction score
What are the noticeable differences? I am considering these. My OEM were replaced at 33k miles and now replacing one again at 60k.
My OEM ones were stressed after lifting the front end. They were twisted and the rubber was collapsed. They looked like they were going to snap in the near future. These are much more robust, strong, and are serviceable. The front end clunk at certain steering angles is also gone. Good deal all around.

RAMonkey

Reaction score
Just reduces sway in the front I imagine?

Night & day as in similar to adding the rear Hellwig sway bar as far as the difference goes?
I was having some issues after the front end lift. Not so much sway, but vibration at speed and some clunking with slow turns. They also looked like they were going to snap. These took care of that, so night and day in that regard.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rebel is more than capable for overlanding, unless you're doing extended time period travel (weeks/ months) then I'd say a 2500 with habitat camper shell is recommended.
😄 yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I see a lot of squeaky clean, overloaded trucks driving around this area.

My first trip was just me. I didn't really get "off road" much. I just had my tent mounted on my $20 rack, my overnight backpack and a few extra blankets and such.

broman66

Reaction score
I think you guys need to start carrying your wife’s purse to hold your key fob. Man you guys will find anything to complain about lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Maybe FCA/RAM wanted it larger to accomodate blue collar workers that may be working with gloves/cold weather.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe FCA/RAM wanted it larger to accomodate blue collar workers that may be working with gloves/cold weather.
It's not much bigger than the fob for my wife's 2020 Traverse, which definitely isn't a work vehicle

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
😄 yeah, that's what I'm afraid of. I see a lot of squeaky clean, overloaded trucks driving around this area.

My first trip was just me. I didn't really get "off road" much. I just had my tent mounted on my $20 rack, my overnight backpack and a few extra blankets and such.
gotta start somewhere lol it escalates very quickly, especially if you do it more and more.
i started with coleman ground tent, coleman summer sleeping bags with no pillows and blankets, some $20 butane stove, and an amazon fridge.
i was on bilsteins that faded when going on dirt for extended period of time too. i also installed switch-pros with over $3k worth of BD lights lol

then swapped out to Shiftpod Mini, REI winter bag, pillows, buddy heater, coleman propane 2 burner stove, and ice-co fridge. Threw out the bilsteins as they were blown and exploded when we removed them. Kings replaced bilsteins.

then my friend's motorized RTT, redid the front springs on kings, regeared, and used that setup for about half a year before I decided to go full size pickup.

Now I just got rid of that heavy motorized RTT and am picking up a lightweight tent this week. Also replaced disposable utensils for a kitchen set from Spirit of 1876. Also have a diesel heater sitting at my offroad team's HQ waiting to be put in a weatherproof case and hard mounted on the bed rack lol

Users who are viewing this thread