5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard rumors of revised bolts that may not break. Is that true? I was thinking I would swap in a set of shorty headers before I hit 20k, but if I can just swap bolts before they break...

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard rumors of revised bolts that may not break. Is that true? I was thinking I would swap in a set of shorty headers before I hit 20k, but if I can just swap bolts before they break...
Not sure about rumors, but the latest rendition of the manifold kits include a pair of strips, or spreaders if you want to call them, and longer bolts to accommodate the strips. The strips go on the outside of the manifolds, so the manifolds are sandwiched between the strips and heads. I think the theory is that the bolts no longer bite directly into the hot manifolds, but instead the manifolds can expand, contract, and squirm about a little in the middle of the sandwich without stressing the bolts much. IMO, it's likely to make broken bolts less of a problem, but may not prevent the manifolds from cracking if they want to. So if your truck doesn't have the strips, the new manifold kits may be an improvement. So far, I think they're not considered a warranty situation unless your old ones are cracked. Subject to FCA policies, of course. ;)

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting. So, probably still best to just go shorties or swap bolts every x miles...

lapoolboy

Reaction score
Installed Hellwig swaybar and Core4x4 endlinks.

Somehow managed to cross-thread a bolt in one of the nuts welded on the axle where the swaybar bushing brackets mount. I just horsed a grade 8 bolt through it to clean up the threads with some WD-40 and put it all back together. It torqued fine to the 30 ft.lbs. so I guess all is well.

Attachments

• 20221207_202547.jpg
    20221207_202547.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 116
  • 20221207_202500~2.jpg
    20221207_202500~2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 113
Last edited:

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hmm... it appears maybe my '22 already has these strips?

It does indeed. Good photo. I don't know how many variations or improvements have happened, but the basic idea is there. I'll have to have a look at mine (when weather permits) and see what I got...

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed Hellwig swaybar and Core4x4 endlinks.

Somehow managed to cross-thread a bolt in one of the nuts welded on the axle where the swaybar bushing brackets mount. I just horsed a grade 8 bolt through it to clean up the threads with some WD-40 and put it all back together. It torqued fine to the 30 ft.lbs. so I guess all is well.
I have this same setup with white links. Seems to be a big improvement.

raygun9

Reaction score
I have this same setup with white links. Seems to be a big improvement.
I though in the Gen5s they swapped the bolts being used by the gen3s and gen4s and they dont snap as much but instead the manifolds crack?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

397STROKER

Reaction score
It does indeed. Good photo. I don't know how many variations or improvements have happened, but the basic idea is there. I'll have to have a look at mine (when weather permits) and see what I got...
My 21 had the strips before I put shorty headers on. I think the strips came in 20 some time.

Waterfowler41

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You’ve got your red and green lights mixed up. Green should be on the starboard (passenger) side and red to port (driver’s side). LOL
Happy Holidays to you as well.

I know in hindsight should’ve went with that, I but I wanted green on passenger side so the cars don’t see the red light in their side mirror and think I’m a cop at a quick glance. Just trying to spread some holiday spirit around here!

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is an exhaust manifold thread in the 5.7 powertrain sub forum. Bolts snapping in 4th gens have been completely replaced with manifolds cracking, even thru current production. Most are getting them replaced under emissions warranty before 80k miles.

Users who are viewing this thread