5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

i_squared_r

Reaction score
I traded in my Tacoma for a RAM 1500 laramie. My tacoma was kitted out for overland: on board air, on board water, fridge, etc. everything was heavily fabricated. I took all my stuff to bring to the RAM, but I'm not interested to make a lot of fabrication. So I did this:

Viair medium duty OBA on a piece of plywood
40amp circuit breaker to fuse panel behind driver side tail light
1x 10amp circuit for 12v socket (I plug my fridge here)
1x 30amp circuit for air compressor
1x 10amp circuit for future LED bed lights
left a pigtail coming out of OEM bed light location. compressor attaches with 3-wire MT60 connector. so the compressor can be easily removed
3-wire because 12V, GND, and keyed 12V to relay. I put a on/off switch under the dashboard

I am waiting for my bakflip cover to arrive so I can secure all my things. And I think that's all that I'll do to this truck.

IMG_7373.jpg IMG_7374.jpg View recent photos (2).jpg

2019Raven

Reaction score
I get new sneakers for Rebellious Raven this afternoon. They are BFG All Terrain TA KO2 275/60R20. Had these same tires on my last 2500 and they performed well in all the types of weather we get in Alaska.

Attachments

• F5EC5F9D-D610-4E41-BCF6-5282069FDEA0.jpeg
    F5EC5F9D-D610-4E41-BCF6-5282069FDEA0.jpeg
    236.5 KB · Views: 135

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I get new sneakers for Rebellious Raven this afternoon. They are BFG All Terrain TA KO2 275/60R20. Had these same tires on my last 2500 and they performed well in all the types of weather we get in Alaska.

Those are gonna be my next set.

My kumhos haven's seen winter so I can't speak to snow performance, but I have been very happy with them in the <1yr that I've had them on. They just don't look as aggressive as I'd like and I feel like I would trust the BFGs more in the backwoods.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I traded in my Tacoma for a RAM 1500 laramie. My tacoma was kitted out for overland: on board air, on board water, fridge, etc. everything was heavily fabricated. I took all my stuff to bring to the RAM, but I'm not interested to make a lot of fabrication. So I did this:

left a pigtail coming out of OEM bed light location. compressor attaches with 3-wire MT60 connector. so the compressor can be easily removed
3-wire because 12V, GND, and keyed 12V to relay. I put a on/off switch under the dashboard

I am waiting for my bakflip cover to arrive so I can secure all my things. And I think that's all that I'll do to this truck.

I don't know much about overlanding. What's the compressor for? Or maybe what I'm really asking is, why do you need that serious of a compressor setup, versus just having the type that will run off the cigarette lighter power socket? Are you trying to have enough of an air supply to seat the bead on an offroad tire? Is that compressor in your picture enough for that?

i_squared_r

Reaction score
I don't know much about overlanding. What's the compressor for? Or maybe what I'm really asking is, why do you need that serious of a compressor setup, versus just having the type that will run off the cigarette lighter power socket? Are you trying to have enough of an air supply to seat the bead on an offroad tire? Is that compressor in your picture enough for that?

I've used it for a lot of things. My Tacoma had a pneumatic switch for the firestone air bags in the rear so it was necessary to have an air tank. Also for off road and driving on the beach I need to remove air from the tires and fill again before returning to the road. Having the air tank reduces the time to fill 4 tires from 10psi to 30psi significantly. I also use it to put air in my trailer tires and mountain bikes. Blow gun. Resurfaced rotors on my mountain bike. Pneumatic stapler to put covers on my boat cushion.

TSL

Reaction score

View attachment 139173 View attachment 139174 View attachment 139175
Thanks for sharing. I'm noodling on figuring out whether or how to add an air compressor. I recently spent some time off road, on gravel, with tires well over-inflated for those conditions ( didn't know any better at the time ! ) Learned my lesson with some interesting "fish-tailing" / back end breaking loose. I posted about it here, Why does my truck 'fish-tail' so easily on gravel roads ?.
I have a 23Zero RTT on the truck now and looking forward to finding the "roads less traveled" ! Being able to adjust tire pressure on the fly would be handy. Oh, and being able to blast the dust off my gear would be useful too !

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. I'm noodling on figuring out whether or how to add an air compressor. I recently spent some time off road, on gravel, with tires well over-inflated for those conditions ( didn't know any better at the time ! ) Learned my lesson with some interesting "fish-tailing" / back end breaking loose. I posted about it here, Why does my truck 'fish-tail' so easily on gravel roads ?.
I have a 23Zero RTT on the truck now and looking forward to finding the "roads less traveled" ! Being able to adjust tire pressure on the fly would be handy. Oh, and being able to blast the dust off my gear would be useful too !
It's a little pricey, and I am not 100% sure if this fits into a non-TRX, but here's an option. If I was going to install on-board air, I would do it like this.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What did you do to mechanically fasten your Air Design spoiler/tailgate protector? The one on my last Ram stayed stuck pretty well on the bottom side & not the top - this one that I have now is the opposite.
I used 6 aluminum pop rivets to hold it on. I don’t trust the double sided tape. The rivets have worked perfectly.

Gearjunkie340

Reaction score
Installed the Tuffy Products center console security safe. I couldn't believe how much it weighed? Pretty easy install. But I have a great assortment of tools too. The screws that go to the back are the most difficult part. need a really small drill or right angle drill. You can also use a cordless ratchet with a phillips drive on it without even drilling.Or just a screw driver lol.

Attachments

• 20220915_152749.jpg
    20220915_152749.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 61
  • 20220915_111042 (2022-09-15T19_30_24.267).jpg
    20220915_111042 (2022-09-15T19_30_24.267).jpg
    35 KB · Views: 61
U

User_67930

What did you do to mechanically fasten your Air Design spoiler/tailgate protector? The one on my last Ram stayed stuck pretty well on the bottom side & not the top - this one that I have now is the opposite.
I used the tape. Prep is the key, use the 3M wipes they provide.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I used the tape. Prep is the key, use the 3M wipes they provide.

I agree. I have been working with adhesives for half my life and work in a field where I am always training contractors how prep is key in getting the applications to work in the construction field. I followed everything to a T this second time around just like I did the first time and it was even warmer in temperature this time compared to the last. I did not check things like relative humidity since I don’t think it would have this much of an effect on the tape. I will have to repair it bc the look of it bugs me.

Users who are viewing this thread