5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

FirstRam2020

Reaction score
I used spacers I got from Lowes like other posters have mentioned. Didn’t know Putco came up with their own spacers. When I reached out to them just a month or two back they simply replied they weren’t compatible with the 5th Gen with MFT, so I followed what other forum members did.
Received my Putco light bar a few weeks ago and the thicker spacers/brackets this week. Just got done installing the 60" light bar on my 2020 with MFT. The extra thickness of these Putco spacers and the flexibility of the light bar allowed for a pretty clean install.

Pics: overall, left edge, and by the wiring

Attachments

• 20220827_174717.jpg
    20220827_174717.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 129
  • 20220827_174737.jpg
    20220827_174737.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 127
  • 20220827_174811.jpg
    20220827_174811.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 127

deeve

Ram Guru
Reaction score
For those wanting bed extenders, I did install the Ford F150 (knockoff on eBay for $180), and works like a charm. I like the ability for it to fold away and collapse to the sides. 10mm rivnut and hole for the pin when it's extended out on the tailgate, done.

View attachment 137821 View attachment 137822 View attachment 137823
Nice job. I don't know why other manufacturers or aftermarket companies do not do more with this design. How sturdy does that feel? Could you put some 2x4's on there for transport from the big box home improvement store?

Nels

Reaction score
just be careful with SXM the fine print says it auto renews at the going rate whic is currently $12.99 to $22.99
Ive been paying $5 for a few years. They make you call them to cancel, each time I've called to cancel they've offered me the $5 price. I wouldn't pay more, it's probably not even worth that to me.

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Ive been paying $5 for a few years. They make you call them to cancel, each time I've called to cancel they've offered me the $5 price. I wouldn't pay more, it's probably not even worth that to me.
Same here. Been paying 1/4 price in vehicles since XM radio started. I drive a lot so it’s well worth it at that price. No way I would pay full price. I basically only listen to 8-10 stations anyway.

ijanderson29

Reaction score
I need some help from the Ram Fam. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I have no experience with fuse taps or electrical connections.
I just installed some Opt7 Interior LED strips in my truck and have them mounted under all the seats nice and pretty. My problem is the fuse tap connection and how to properly use it.

The opt7 box has an accessory wire with plus/minus wires on it that I believe are for hooking up to courtesy lights (which I wasn’t going to do). It also comes with a power cord wire that plugs into the box and has a ground (minus) and another terminal (plus) that goes into your fuse tap. The problem is that the terminal port (plus) doesn't fit into my blue fuse tap (micro2) end to then crimp down. The other fuse taps that the kit comes with have a bigger hole that fits that terminal but I'm using the correct Micro2 fuse tap. Can I bypass that and simply use that attached accessory wire and put the +\- wires stripped into my fuse tap and then crimp it and just use my accessory wire for power?

See pictures of the ends. Any help is much appreciated.

Attachments

• a.jpeg
    a.jpeg
    291.5 KB · Views: 58
  • doesn't fit well.jpeg
    doesn't fit well.jpeg
    269.3 KB · Views: 58

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I need some help from the Ram Fam. I apologize if this is a dumb question but I have no experience with fuse taps or electrical connections.
I just installed some Opt7 Interior LED strips in my truck and have them mounted under all the seats nice and pretty. My problem is the fuse tap connection and how to properly use it.

The opt7 box has an accessory wire with plus/minus wires on it that I believe are for hooking up to courtesy lights (which I wasn’t going to do). It also comes with a power cord wire that plugs into the box and has a ground (minus) and another terminal (plus) that goes into your fuse tap. The problem is that the terminal port (plus) doesn't fit into my blue fuse tap (micro2) end to then crimp down. The other fuse taps that the kit comes with have a bigger hole that fits that terminal but I'm using the correct Micro2 fuse tap. Can I bypass that and simply use that attached accessory wire and put the +\- wires stripped into my fuse tap and then crimp it and just use my accessory wire for power?

The wire bundle on the left in a.jpeg is an output. If you're not going to use it, tape the ends so they can't short out accidentally, bundle it up neatly out of the way somewhere and forget about it.

On the right in a.jpeg and doesnt_fit_well.jpeg is the power input for the "box", and it has what is called a "bullet" plug on the "+" wire. Your fuse tap unfortunately does not have the matching socket for this, instead someone put a butt splice on it. A crimp-on socket part does exist and looks a lot like the butt splice, so it would have been easy for someone to have a wrong part in the bin and didn't notice when they assembled your "kit".

Stuff happens. Anyway your choices are:

1) If you don't need unplug-ability at that point in your wiring, you can cut the bullet off the "+" wire, strip and crimp the blue butt splice onto it. And since it appears to be smaller wire than usually put into a blue splice, I'd recommend to strip about 3/8" and fold the stripped part in half before inserting, you'll have a better crimp.

2) If you need unplug-ability at that point, you'll need to source a blue bullet socket somewhere, cut the blue butt splice off the fuse tap, and replace it with the blue bullet socket.

or maybe 3) Send the whole kit back as defective and hope they'll replace it with one that has all the right parts.

or 4) Source a new fuse tap that has the right socket on it and toss out the stuff that you didn't use.

My guess is that 1) or 2) is going to be the most convenient for you.

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They'll say almost anything to sign you up and get your credit card info. To be fair, I imagine launching and maintaining a satellite network is crazy expensive, so they are motivated.

And I wouldn't have called it negotiation, it was more like "I don't use it, no thanks, let it expire, have a nice day."

But they've talked most major vehicle manufacturers into building in equipment and services that many users don't want or need. Now *that* was negotiation.

Last edited:

RamSteel

Reaction score
Nice job. I don't know why other manufacturers or aftermarket companies do not do more with this design. How sturdy does that feel? Could you put some 2x4's on there for transport from the big box home improvement store?
Yeah, absolutely, it's very sturdy. Or, you just fold them out of the way.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Same here. They raised my rates after 1 year. I called to cancel and they renewed at the same $5 a month fee.

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

Cut the end off the black positive wire, strip it and crimp it into the fuse tap.

ijanderson29

Reaction score
The wire bundle on the left in a.jpeg is an output. If you're not going to use it, tape the ends so they can't short out accidentally, bundle it up neatly out of the way somewhere and forget about it.

On the right in a.jpeg and doesnt_fit_well.jpeg is the power input for the "box", and it has what is called a "bullet" plug on the "+" wire. Your fuse tap unfortunately does not have the matching socket for this, instead someone put a butt splice on it. A crimp-on socket part does exist and looks a lot like the butt splice, so it would have been easy for someone to have a wrong part in the bin and didn't notice when they assembled your "kit".

Stuff happens. Anyway your choices are:

1) If you don't need unplug-ability at that point in your wiring, you can cut the bullet off the "+" wire, strip and crimp the blue butt splice onto it. And since it appears to be smaller wire than usually put into a blue splice, I'd recommend to strip about 3/8" and fold the stripped part in half before inserting, you'll have a better crimp.

2) If you need unplug-ability at that point, you'll need to source a blue bullet socket somewhere, cut the blue butt splice off the fuse tap, and replace it with the blue bullet socket.

or maybe 3) Send the whole kit back as defective and hope they'll replace it with one that has all the right parts.

or 4) Source a new fuse tap that has the right socket on it and toss out the stuff that you didn't use.

My guess is that 1) or 2) is going to be the most convenient for you.
Thank you a ton!!!! This was extremely helpful my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online