5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

ccf2mb

Reaction score
how do you feel about how much space the retrax canister takes up in the bed ? Have you the 5' 7" short bed ? I really like the roll-up-and-get-out-of-the-way idea for the cover plus the T-slots on the retrax are great, but still on the fence about losing cubic inches in the short bed with the retrax
I had a Roll-N-Lock on my last truck and it never caused me that much of a problem. I think this canister takes up more room because it sits lower in the bed, but looking at this one, it appears it is much easier to remove than the RNL. I went with the Retrax due to the ability to lock it in any position. I wanted the security of the Retrax/RNL and it fits the bill for what I need. I can still do 90% of the things I would do without it. JMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: TSL

J-barcarp

54 year old teenager
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Got mine used off facebook marketplace for 50 bucks.
Yes mine too…
same price too

Honestly, resonators only is a little harsh at 2000 rpm. And in general it sounds like a tuner car. Fun, but not what i want every day. I will probably add either the v6 or v8 muffler back in.

pmegason

Reaction score
Amazon.

Here is the links:

ACANII - For [Incandescent Model Only] 2019-2021 Ram 1500 Black Full LED Tail Lights w/Sequential Signal Lamps Left+Right https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08F9R4T8G/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_eR8CUNcMOcICe

AKKON - Fits 2019-2022 RAM 1500 [Halogen Type] Projector Black Headlight w/LED Running Lamp + Sequential Signal Pair Left+Right https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08NY1RXBN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_WgG6zaxrrkeLz

Both of the above came as brand “Spyder”.

If you do the headlights you also will need an H1 and H7 led bulb kit to install before you put them in.

Tail took 15 mins. The headlamps took about 2 hours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank You.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
how do you feel about how much space the retrax canister takes up in the bed ? Have you the 5' 7" short bed ? I really like the roll-up-and-get-out-of-the-way idea for the cover plus the T-slots on the retrax are great, but still on the fence about losing cubic inches in the short bed with the retrax

You didn't ask me, but I'll throw my thoughts out there anyway. :)

I had a couple of Retrax covers on past trucks. Then I had a BakFlip. Then I had a Bak Revolver X4.

I am currently trying to decide what to put on my new truck, but I am leaning towards another Revolver.

The two things I don't like about the Retrax are how much room the box takes up, and the fact that it needs a separate key. Oh, and also, how trash (leaves, etc) can get down inside the box, and how the drain tubes come out of the box and go through drain holes in the bed. Mine were always getting knocked loose by stuff I would put in the bed.

I liked how with the BakFlip or the Revolver, all I have to do to secure my bed is lock the truck with the cover closed. Having a separate locking arrangement for a Retrax would mean I absolutely KNOW there would be times I would be too lazy (or forget) to lock the cover itself.

I like the Revolver best (of what I have had) because it takes up no room in the bed, open or closed. And it does not block my view out of the back when it's rolled up. And, FWIW, I like the looks of it better than the others I have had. And it's easy to take off and light and compact (compared to the other options) to move around or store when it is off the truck.

I had a Roll-N-Lock on my last truck and it never caused me that much of a problem. I think this canister takes up more room because it sits lower in the bed, but looking at this one, it appears it is much easier to remove than the RNL. I went with the Retrax due to the ability to lock it in any position. I wanted the security of the Retrax/RNL and it fits the bill for what I need. I can still do 90% of the things I would do without it. JMO.

I'm just curious, what kinds of situations do you have where you find the ability to lock the Retrax in an intermediate position to be useful?

I had Retrax covers for years and I thought that concept sounded cool. But, in real life, I never did use it very much at all. I also found that it was finicky. The tension that it would clamp in place meant I often found that the cover moved after some driving with moderate braking or acceleration. Adjusting the clamping tension to get it where it would not move made it kind of hard to close.

Then I switched to a BakFlip and then a Revolver. I have never missed that ability to have my cover locked in a partway open position. Though I will admit to driving once or twice with something like lumber sticking up out of the back and the BakFlip being closed except for the last panel just resting on top of the lumber.

Last edited:

alphajaguars

Reaction score
I spent way too much time researching tonneaus before deciding to go with the Revolver X4s specifically because I didn't want to loose any bed space to a box. I've been very happy with that decision as I have already done a camping trip with the family that had almost no room left under the tonneau.

Kind of wishing I had gotten the 6'4" bed. Maybe when it's time to trade this one in.

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The two things I don't like about the Retrax are how much room the box takes up, and the fact that it needs a separate key. Oh, and also, how trash (leaves, etc) can get down inside the box, and how the drain tubes come out of the box and go through drain holes in the bed. Mine were always getting knocked loose by stuff I would put in the bed.

I’ve owned two Retrax XR’s, but if I were to do it over, I’d give serious consideration to the EGR RollTrac. It doesn’t address all those points (especially the amount of bed space it takes up), but it does address a few.

First, it tires into the truck’s electronics for locking, so there’s no forgetting. The canister has a hatch for cleaning. I’ve got no first hand experience with one, but it stops at any position and it looks like a robust system. I’ve also had my Retrax slide further open from a partially closed spot, but my impression is the Rolltrac is immune to that. (The may be true for the powered Retrax, as well).

Downsides are the price ($1,000 more than the manual Retrax, but on par with other powered retractable covers), and that because it’s wired in, removal would be trickier if you need every inch of bed space.

I guess the other downside is, at last check, the Rolltrac isn’t available for 6’4” beds. This is actually a plus, because I don’t need to be spending more money!

JamRam

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I finished installing the Airlift 1000 HDs this morning. For all you SOBs that said this is a 1 hr job.....I curse y'all!!!

All a y'all!!! 😠

Damn thing took me nearly 4 hours in total (some of it due to me forgetting some steps and having to retrace), but I got it done. 👍

Attachments

• 20220729_084311.jpg
    20220729_084311.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 96

Lorne Greene

Reaction score
Can you share the link?
Link below. I had to drill out one of the housings so it would fit over the rod that provides the lighting over the glove box. for the sides of the wheel, I removed the cheep white LED light from the harness and used two of the leads with some of the fiber cable and casing provided in the kit. It took me about 1/2 hour to take everything apart and back together and was really easy. Ill take a pic tonight

spelunk68

Reaction score
I've been waiting for someone to post pictures of color matched flairs on a Backcountry.

Any notes on how the install went?
went well, only took me a couple hours. Some of the holes were not perfectly aligned but they seemed good once everything was tightened, a bright flashlight to get the screw to fall into the factory holes helps a lot. The bushwhackers rubber seal between the flare and the truck really make it look factory and tight but I imagine if you go with light color match you will have a black line between the flare and the truck. (edit: things usually take me a lot longer than others for some reason but 30 minutes a flare seems more than enough)(edit 2, duh if you have a back country all of the flares will be the diamond crystal black lol my bad)

spelunk68

Reaction score
went well, only took me a couple hours. Some of the holes were not perfectly aligned but they seemed good once everything was tightened, a bright flashlight to get the screw to fall into the factory holes helps a lot. The bushwhackers rubber seal between the flare and the truck really make it look factory and tight but I imagine if you go with light color match you will have a black line between the flare and the truck. (edit: things usually take me a lot longer than others for some reason but 30 minutes a flare seems more than enough)(edit 2, duh if you have a back country all of the flares will be the diamond crystal black lol my bad)
also having plastic trim tools to help remove the white plastic clips from the old mud guards is needed or a clip will sit right where the flare end falls, anyway leaving the white clips does not look good, I deleted all of them.

TSL

Reaction score

I had a couple of Retrax covers on past trucks. Then I had a BakFlip. Then I had a Bak Revolver X4.

I am currently trying to decide what to put on my new truck, but I am leaning towards another Revolver.

I liked how with the BakFlip or the Revolver, all I have to do to secure my bed is lock the truck with the cover closed. Having a separate locking arrangement for a Retrax would mean I absolutely KNOW there would be times I would be too lazy (or forget) to lock the cover itself.

I like the Revolver best (of what I have had) because it takes up no room in the bed, open or closed. And it does not block my view out of the back when it's rolled up. And, FWIW, I like the looks of it better than the others I have had. And it's easy to take off and light and compact (compared to the other options) to move around or store when it is off the truck.

I'm just curious, what kinds of situations do you have where you find the ability to lock the Retrax in an intermediate position to be useful?

I had Retrax covers for years and I thought that concept sounded cool. But, in real life, I never did use it very much at all. I also found that it was finicky. The tension that it would clamp in place meant I often found that the cover moved after some driving with moderate braking or acceleration. Adjusting the clamping tension to get it where it would not move made it kind of hard to close.

Then I switched to a BakFlip and then a Revolver. I have never missed that ability to have my cover locked in a partway open position. Though I will admit to driving once or twice with something like lumber sticking up out of the back and the BakFlip being closed except for the last panel just resting on top of the lumber.
Thanks for chiming in. I just looked at a couple videos of the Revolver. Yep, it looks good and I think might be the best option for me for a roll-up cover that doesn't eat up bed space

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Where did you order them?

vinnieloo

Reaction score

When you flip the BakFlip against the cab does it scratch? I know there are the little bumpers but i would guess the bed moves slightly relative to the cab when driving.
One thing to consider with the Revolver is if you have snow/ice it doesn't work great (according to a friend of mine) during winter.

Users who are viewing this thread