5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Finally got around to installing my bed lights. Wasnt that difficult, as I opted to wire to the rear of the 7 pin receptacle. However, the receptacle was dead, no power. After some digging, I found the 30 amp Trailer tow receptacle fuse under dash was blown, so more time taken to run to Autozone and get a replacement.
Read a post about loose fuses, and to my irritation, a good portion of the fuses in the interior block were not fully seated. So while i was in there, i checked them all to make sure no more blown fuses. Luckily, that was it.
LED's were an Amazon purchase, came with the on off button, which i put velcro on the back of switch and stuck to my bedrug on the driver's side inside corner of the bed. Light strips are mounted on the bedside just above the top of the Bedrug side panels. Ran the wiring from passenger strip to driver side strip under the bedrug, which made it even easier...no extra work trying to hide wiring.
Overall, about 3 hours if you include the trip to the parts store for the fuse.
Next up, running board lights.

Attachments

• 20210824_214856.jpg
    20210824_214856.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 144
  • 20210825_112226.jpg
    20210825_112226.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 140

LakesAZ

Reaction score
Finally got around to installing my bed lights. Wasnt that difficult, as I opted to wire to the rear of the 7 pin receptacle. However, the receptacle was dead, no power. After some digging, I found the 30 amp Trailer tow receptacle fuse under dash was blown, so more time taken to run to Autozone and get a replacement.
Read a post about loose fuses, and to my irritation, a good portion of the fuses in the interior block were not fully seated. So while i was in there, i checked them all to make sure no more blown fuses. Luckily, that was it.
LED's were an Amazon purchase, came with the on off button, which i put velcro on the back of switch and stuck to my bedrug on the driver's side inside corner of the bed. Light strips are mounted on the bedside just above the top of the Bedrug side panels. Ran the wiring from passenger strip to driver side strip under the bedrug, which made it even easier...no extra work trying to hide wiring.
Overall, about 3 hours if you include the trip to the parts store for the fuse.
Next up, running board lights.
Which LED did you get from Amazon as I am thinking of doing the same.

Vol4Life

Reaction score
Installed the OPT7 60” light bar.
I've heard people talk about it blocking the hole to lower the rear spare tire. Did it cover that hole up? I really want this light bar, also, but don't want to make it a pain to get my spare tire if ever needed.

Pep_594

Reaction score
I used the curt 5 pin trailer harness to connect the wires from the light bar. For reverse wire (white wire) from the light bar I used a bullet connector and connected it to the 5th pin on the curt adapter. This way it is a true plug and play connection. No splicing or messing with factory wiring.

I used 1/4” spacers on the end and 1/2” spacers in the middle along with the clips provided with the light bar to mount it to the plastic piece between the bumper and tailgate.

It is a tight fit but the tailgate does not touch the light bar at all. It has about a 1/8” of clearance. The bottom of the light bar needs to be flush with the bumper to avoid hitting the tail gate.

Below is a video of it working along with links for the curt adapter and the light bar.

OPT7 60" Redline Triple LED Tailgate Light Bar w/Sequential Amber Turn Signal - 1,200 LED Solid Beam - Weatherproof No Drill Install - Full Function Reverse Brake Running https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUJW75...abc_0TCP77A7TFHJVCVTD7FG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQ...abc_EDBD21A3Z1CXDWVPS08T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Pep_594

Reaction score
I've heard people talk about it blocking the hole to lower the rear spare tire. Did it cover that hole up? I really want this light bar, also, but don't want to make it a pain to get my spare tire if ever needed.
It did not block the spare tire access hole. Here is a picture of mine.

Attachments

• 6A0F4692-1E1C-41BD-8F22-5B4B8A82D40F.jpeg
    6A0F4692-1E1C-41BD-8F22-5B4B8A82D40F.jpeg
    128.2 KB · Views: 176
  • 7158D84D-8842-4A9D-8F00-82CD0292A221.jpeg
    7158D84D-8842-4A9D-8F00-82CD0292A221.jpeg
    159.5 KB · Views: 176

Pep_594

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding that light bar as well, how did you tie it into the brake wires? Any issues with the tailgate in the down position?

I used the curt 5 pin trailer harness to connect the wires from the light bar. For reverse wire (white wire) from the light bar I used a bullet connector and connected it to the 5th pin on the curt adapter. This way it is a true plug and play connection. No splicing or messing with factory wiring.

I used 1/4” spacers on the end and 1/2” spacers in the middle along with the clips provided with the light bar to mount it to the plastic piece between the bumper and tailgate.

It is a tight fit but the tailgate does not touch the light bar at all. It has about a 1/8” of clearance. The bottom of the light bar needs to be flush with the bumper to avoid hitting the tail gate.

Below is a video of it working along with links for the curt adapter and the light bar.

IMG_9020.mov

MOV File
1drv.ms
OPT7 60" Redline Triple LED Tailgate Light Bar w/Sequential Amber Turn Signal - 1,200 LED Solid Beam - Weatherproof No Drill Install - Full Function Reverse Brake Running https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HUJW75...abc_0TCP77A7TFHJVCVTD7FG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

CURT 56584 Replacement Vehicle-Side Custom USCAR 5-Pin Trailer Wiring Harness https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007EA6WQ...abc_EDBD21A3Z1CXDWVPS08T?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Knight.

Reaction score
It did not block the spare tire access hole. Here is a picture of mine.

On my truck i have this wire on a plate (assuming it's the rear back up camera wire) right in the middle and 2 bumps towards the left and right ends. See pictures, how did you go about installing the light with those in the way??

Thanks

Attachments

• Pic1.jpg
    Pic1.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 145
  • Pic2.jpg
    Pic2.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 144

Pep_594

Reaction score
On my truck i have this wire on a plate (assuming it's the rear back up camera wire) right in the middle and 2 bumps towards the left and right ends. See pictures, how did you go about installing the light with those in the way??

Thanks
Yes that is the wire harness for the backup camera and tailgate latch. I removed my tailgate for the install and I had to remove that plate with the tailgate. I used 1/4” plastic spacers on the ends of the light bar to clear the plastic bumps on truck. Then used 1/2” plastic spacer to clear the plate with the camera harness. I’ll post a picture of it when I get a chance.

Knight.

Reaction score
Yes that is the wire harness for the backup camera and tailgate latch. I removed my tailgate for the install and I had to remove that plate with the tailgate. I used 1/4” plastic spacers on the ends of the light bar to clear the plastic bumps on truck. Then used 1/2” plastic spacer to clear the plate with the camera harness. I’ll post a picture of it when I get a chance.

Okay I understand now. Any chance you can link where you got the spacers?

Thanks for all the info, I want to do this to my truck as well.

Fatherdeath

Reaction score
Got my switch pro installed and my A-piller lights installed

Attachments

• 9C1FFD91-F72E-4EE5-B078-14F5E377852C.jpeg
    9C1FFD91-F72E-4EE5-B078-14F5E377852C.jpeg
    40.4 KB · Views: 140
  • 30B15FAD-D5FD-4B47-AB19-E7A7CB2AEDBC.jpeg
    30B15FAD-D5FD-4B47-AB19-E7A7CB2AEDBC.jpeg
    38.1 KB · Views: 140
  • B85A2EFF-B12B-4961-A570-90AE34BA3E53.jpeg
    B85A2EFF-B12B-4961-A570-90AE34BA3E53.jpeg
    136.6 KB · Views: 140

silverWS6

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Started my wiring projects, adding the auxbeam 2 sided fuse box and switch pod

started with some ditch lights and prepped all my other lights with weather proof plugs for when my front bumper gets here Monday finally

What bumper did you go with?

Pep_594

Reaction score
Okay I understand now. Any chance you can link where you got the spacers?

Thanks for all the info, I want to do this to my truck as well.
The spacers I used, I got from Home Depot on the hardware aisle along with the bolts. I took the metal clips that came with the light bar to Home Depot and found the bolts and spacers that fit them. You need 1/4” spacer added to the ends of the light bar to clear the humps on the plastic of the truck and 1/2” spacers to clear the camera wire harness.

Knight.

Reaction score
The spacers I used, I got from Home Depot on the hardware aisle along with the bolts. I took the metal clips that came with the light bar to Home Depot and found the bolts and spacers that fit them. You need 1/4” spacer added to the ends of the light bar to clear the humps on the plastic of the truck and 1/2” spacers to clear the camera wire harness.

okay I’ll try that. Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread