5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

ALT_F13

Reaction score
In order to make this work, your truck will need to have adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist options.

I got the Comma two, dev kit for $1099, (link at bottom) the development vehicle wiring harness for another $200. Then another aprox $40 for some connectors and crimping tool to complete the harness. Making and installing the harness is pretty easy if you understand basic wiring and the use of a crimper. After making the harness, the install took less than an hour. It took about 2 weeks working with some very smart people on the comna Discord to get the unit programmed and talking to the truck, due to the fact mine was the first ecodiesel Ram to have the comma two running, it required some custom programming. Now that the ecodiesel has been fingerprinted, it's a pretty simple process to install the correct software fork. I believe most of the other engine options have already been fingerprinted so they are also an easy install.

Man, this project deserves its own thread! :) 90%+ of people in this forum never even heard about Comma and will be surprised that their truck can actually drive itself. Main stopper for me is that my truck doesn't have ACC, and installing it is pricey and not easy.

vegasandre

Reaction score
In order to make this work, your truck will need to have adaptive cruise control and lane keep assist options.

I got the Comma two, dev kit for $1099, (link at bottom) the development vehicle wiring harness for another $200. Then another aprox $40 for some connectors and crimping tool to complete the harness. Making and installing the harness is pretty easy if you understand basic wiring and the use of a crimper. After making the harness, the install took less than an hour. It took about 2 weeks working with some very smart people on the comna Discord to get the unit programmed and talking to the truck, due to the fact mine was the first ecodiesel Ram to have the comma two running, it required some custom programming. Now that the ecodiesel has been fingerprinted, it's a pretty simple process to install the correct software fork. I believe most of the other engine options have already been fingerprinted so they are also an easy install.

How about after you figure out all this , I pay you and you build me one? I am serious.
I am thinking though since my Truck has the ACC why do we need the whole comma apparatus? it would seem the truck already has the system in place to drive in center of lane and hands free? Or am I wrong on that? it would appear to be 90% of the way there..

BilletMotoRam

Reaction score
35x12.50R18's stock suspension. I have a 2" rough country leveling kit coming next week. Had to remove the factory front splash guards and reshape the front of the wheel liners (currently with zip ties to the front air dam holes that was deleted) I will trim the splash guards and heat gun the front of the liners after the leveling kit comes in. The spare had to be deflated to tuck up underneath then inflated to 10psi. If you don't have a receiver it will fit. Does NOT rub at full lock. Goodyear Wrangler MT/R tires.

Tires on the left are the stock Falken Wildpeak AT3's that came on the truck.

vfNy6CO.jpg

vBTl0Kk.jpg
Side shot? How close are the upper control arm to tire? Looks good.

WReckeR

Reaction score
How about after you figure out all this , I pay you and you build me one? I am serious.
I am thinking though since my Truck has the ACC why do we need the whole comma apparatus? it would seem the truck already has the system in place to drive in center of lane and hands free? Or am I wrong on that? it would appear to be 90% of the way there..
Well...for one thing, the Ram will not steer around curves.

StringNH

Reaction score
The Rams lane keep assist will only pinball you from one side of the lane to the other. The comma does all the real thinking and sends those signals to the truck to keep it centered in the lane. Also most factory systems even the tesla, autopilot, with lane centering capabilities still require you to at least touch the steering wheel every 20 or 30 seconds. The comma is hands free.

StringNH

Reaction score
Hey, I just noticed we have almost identical, night edition, patriot blue, limited, 3.21, etc, etc. trucks built at the same time, only real difference is mine has the ecodiesel. I even think my window sticker showed up on the same date as yours.

Anyway I have been running the comma two in my truck for the last 1500 miles. Hands free cruise control. The install is simple takes only a few minutes. It works great, the only thing that needs to be made is the wire harness, that might take an hour. It's also easy. Installing the openpilot software is the most confusing part, if you don't know what you are doing but once you figure it out, it is very easy. I didn't have a clue when I started. It's all good now and I'm loving it.

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey, I just noticed we have almost identical, night edition, patriot blue, limited, 3.21, etc, etc. trucks built at the same time, only real difference is mine has the ecodiesel. I even think my window sticker showed up on the same date as yours.

Anyway I have been running the comma two in my truck for the last 1500 miles. Hands free cruise control. The install is simple takes only a few minutes. It works great, the only thing that needs to be made is the wire harness, that might take an hour. It's also easy. Installing the openpilot software is the most confusing part, if you don't know what you are doing but once you figure it out, it is very easy. I didn't have a clue when I started. It's all good now and I'm loving it.
I want this! Lol

Fatherdeath

Reaction score
Mounted my back bumper and hitch, sadly front bumper and skids are still en route

Westin outlaw.
I wired in weather proof plugs for the electronics back there as well as made wiring harnes for offroad lights that are going on this weekend

Attachments

• 376C795C-B37A-4D1A-88E9-6899515C1F89.jpeg
    376C795C-B37A-4D1A-88E9-6899515C1F89.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 139

Malodave

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Starting my wishlist soon. View attachment 103628 lQuote

I need to move my Nathan K5LA Airchimes over to the '21 Laramie Ecodiesel.

I bought enough parts to make 9 extra Harnesses. I will offer them up once completed.

I just saw the Release of the new Comma 3. The same Harnesses work. The price is a little steeper
than the Comma 2. Comma2 is $1300, Comma 3 is $2199, and Comma 3 Cross country is $2799.
I have a Comma 3 Cross County in my Cart. Now just to pull the Trigger!

Malodave

Last edited:

c3k

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Removed and replaced all chrome pieces around the window, R/R all emblems except grille with black, R/R door handles with black. Removed and power coated Rims and tow hooks. Replaced chrome exhaust tips with black chrome tips. On Monday I take to shop to R/R chrome front and rear bumper, grill and a sport‘s hood that will be color matched to the truck. All oem parts with no plastic dip or vinyl wrap.

Once done I will post the completed updated look.

Where did you source the black oem parts?

HEMIJAKE

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a big deal, but painted my license plate frame to give it a little contrast against the black plastic. Really wish PA plates didn't have yellow and blue on them, but oh well. At least I don't have to run front plates like my heathen neighbors to the north.

Before:
IMG_6231[92].jpg

After:
IMG_6232[90].jpg

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Not a big deal, but painted my license plate frame to give it a little contrast against the black plastic. Really wish PA plates didn't have yellow and blue on them, but oh well. At least I don't have to run front plates like my heathen neighbors to the north.

Before:
View attachment 103691

After:
View attachment 103692
Being a UofM fan, I think the blue and yellow on your plate looks dandy!

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread