5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

STOKED

Reaction score
Also interested in how you did this. Did you follow a thread on the forum? And are these just amazon LED strip lights?
I used these.

If you remove the rear drivers side door sill you'll see a **** load of wires. Find the white with a tan stripe, thats the cargo light circuit. When you pull the carpet up to get to those wires you'll see a plastic cap in the floor you can drill a small hole through to run the wire back to the bed. It's pretty easy.

dv8er

Reaction score
Added additional bed lights by tapping into the OEM bed lights after being completely unimpressed with the OEM lighting. Ramboxes made it a little trickier to maneuver the wiring. I haven't attached the light strips with adhesive yet as I only have alcohol swabs (damn covid) and it was getting late. I used a kit that is nearly identical to the one STOKED used. Next will be a couple LUYED backup lights (thanks to you guys for that suggestion) and dashcam install once that gets here.

20200506_010806.jpg 20200506_010839.jpg

Truckguy

Reaction score
I used these.

If you remove the rear drivers side door sill you'll see a **** load of wires. Find the white with a tan stripe, thats the cargo light circuit. When you pull the carpet up to get to those wires you'll see a plastic cap in the floor you can drill a small hole through to run the wire back to the bed. It's pretty easy.
Did you happen to try tying into the cargo lights by taking off the taillight? I think I saw someone else did that. Trying to figure out the best way also how did you splice/tie in?

STOKED

Reaction score
Did you happen to try tying into the cargo lights by taking off the taillight? I think I saw someone else did that. Trying to figure out the best way also how did you splice/tie in?
No, I'm not really sure if any of those wires are connected to that circuit as I don't recall the tail lights coming on with the cargo lights. I used one of those crimp slice connectors.

knightro84

Reaction score
Hey, if you don't mind me asking how did you wired yours up? My gf actually bought me a kit but it wants to be powered the obd 2 which I'm not too sure I like that and wanted to see if there was another method.

I ran the positive from the LED strip and tapped the cargo light trigger wire, which is white with a tan tracer in the drivers door sill, and then used one of the existing ground points under the hood on the driver side fender.

knightro84

Reaction score

This is what I did - if you have the OEM bed lighting, then you can just remove your tail lights and tap into the OEM bed lights on each side. If you don't have the OEM bed lights, you'll need to tap into the cargo light and run that to the bed. The OEM bed light wiring was super simple - literally red to red and black to black. Here are my pics from earlier in this thread.

1588778085199.png
1588778103255.png

YellowSled

Reaction score
I ran the positive from the LED strip and tapped the cargo light trigger wire, which is white with a tan tracer in the drivers door sill, and then used one of the existing ground points under the hood on the driver side fender.
if you tapped the white with a tan tracer in the drivers door sill, why not tap a existing ground out of that bundle of wires instead of going into the drivers side fender? tks

knightro84

Reaction score
if you tapped the white with a tan tracer in the drivers door sill, why not tap a existing ground out of that bundle of wires instead of going into the drivers side fender? tks

For the running board lighting - since the wires for the LED strip are outside of the truck, it was easier to just ground it right at one of the existing grounds under the hood instead of having to extend it and run it into the cab through the firewall just to splice into a ground in the loom in the door sill.

HoosierTrooper

Reaction score
Added this Carr folding hitch step to save a little wear and tear on me and the bumper when climbing into the bed. Has a nice reflector when closed and might add a little protection if someone taps the bumper.

DSCN9889.JPG DSCN9890.JPG

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thos
This is what I did - if you have the OEM bed lighting, then you can just remove your tail lights and tap into the OEM bed lights on each side. If you don't have the OEM bed lights, you'll need to tap into the cargo light and run that to the bed. The OEM bed light wiring was super simple - literally red to red and black to black. Here are my pics from earlier in this thread.

View attachment 55121
View attachment 55122
those strips are bright, what ones are they?

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Added additional bed lights by tapping into the OEM bed lights after being completely unimpressed with the OEM lighting. Ramboxes made it a little trickier to maneuver the wiring. I haven't attached the light strips with adhesive yet as I only have alcohol swabs (damn covid) and it was getting late. I used a kit that is nearly identical to the one STOKED used. Next will be a couple LUYED backup lights (thanks to you guys for that suggestion) and dashcam install once that gets here.

View attachment 55089 View attachment 55090

Where did you get your BedRug?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

georgelama

Reaction score
Got myself a 2020 Granite Crystal Limited since my 2019 Black Limited was received again by my dealer. Didn´t like all the chrome that the limited brought so I decided to invest a little in order to make it look better.

- 22" Limited Black Appearance Wheels
- Painted all the Chrome Grill in Granite/Black mix
- Chrome door trim replaced with black trim
- All "RAM" chrome emblems replaced with black ones (including hood emblems)
- Long door chrome trims removed
- Mirror covers painted matte black

Would love your opinion on what else I can put to my truck!

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_3042.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3042.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 198
  • thumbnail_IMG_3043.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3043.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 197
  • thumbnail_IMG_3044.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_3044.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 182

LamboTexas

Reaction score

View attachment 55121
View attachment 55122
Do they all turn on with the OEM light switch?

knightro84

Reaction score
Do they all turn on with the OEM light switch?

Yes, they function just like the OEM cargo lights do. They turn on and off with both the switch in the bed and the switch in the cab.

Thos

those strips are bright, what ones are they?

I got these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXR799K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with two 60" strips in each package, and I got two packages (two strips for the bed, and one strip for each running board). Might be the best bang for the buck mods I've done yet at pretty much 45 bucks.

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Got myself a 2020 Granite Crystal Limited since my 2019 Black Limited was received again by my dealer. Didn´t like all the chrome that the limited brought so I decided to invest a little in order to make it look better. Also you can get color matched mirror covers for about $60 unless you’re loving the black.

- 22" Limited Black Appearance Wheels
- Painted all the Chrome Grill in Granite/Black mix
- Chrome door trim replaced with black trim
- All "RAM" chrome emblems replaced with black ones (including hood emblems)
- Long door chrome trims removed
- Mirror covers painted matte black

Would love your opinion on what else I can put to my truck!
Looking good, I would do something with those chrome tow hooks and also maybe tint your headlights and taillights.

dv8er

Reaction score
Where did you get your BedRug?

I used BedRug part # BRI-BRT09BXK, which is technically made for the older body short bed with RamBoxes. It ended up fitting near perfect. I'm not sure why BedRug doesn't just market that model as being compatible with the newer body with RamBoxes. I got mine on Realtruck.com and chatted with them for a slight discount. Here's the Amazon link for it...

z0n3

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yes, they function just like the OEM cargo lights do. They turn on and off with both the switch in the bed and the switch in the cab.

I got these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KXR799K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It comes with two 60" strips in each package, and I got two packages (two strips for the bed, and one strip for each running board). Might be the best bang for the buck mods I've done yet at pretty much 45 bucks.
Nice, thank you! Did those just easily stick on to the underside of the bed?

Users who are viewing this thread