5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

U

User_63152

so what does the catch can catch? never heard of this and this is on a gas engine?
thanks
It prevents, or greatly reduces, the oil vapors that get recirculated into the engine’s intake. The vapors end up as a thinner reconstituted oil in the can. That's my understanding anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haulindogs

Reaction score
Got my first oil change at the service dept yesterday. Only paid $33 for tire rotation, was told my oil changes are free. Cool.
Got home, decided to install my Flow X muffler. Painted it a few coats of high temp paint in silver a couple of weeks ago. Been sitting on this project for a bit, mainly procrastinating over cutting up a perfectly good exhaust system.
Probably the longest part of the install was measuring the cut line, and getting a good angle underneath there to get the sawzall to cut straight. Once that blade started to cut, there was no turning back. The muffler hanger tool was a huge help.
After finishing the cut, I prepared the new muffler for install, and I find that I am supplied, from the manufacturer, 2 different bolts for the flange mount, one course thread, the other a fine. Nuts thread onto one bolt, but not onto the other. A hunt through my collection of extra fasteners came up with a proper fitting nut. Add in extra time to hunt for proper fitting nut, the install took about 3 hours.
The install also allowed me to push my tailpipes out further, and now they look way better in the bumper cutout. Big difference from the stock muffler, much deeper tone, no drone in cab and sounds just what I expected from a Flowmaster muffler. Below are some pics of muffler installed. On the picture of the flange, you can see the 2 different nuts used on the supplied bolts.
One more mod in the books! Just a few more to go and I’ll be done…maybe…🤦🏻‍♂️😉…!
Thank you to all the useful info provided on this site to tackle some of these mods. Y’all bad for my pocketbook, but I do appreciate all the experience and knowledge being shared! 🤙🏽👊🏽
Mikey very pro install. That’s what I enjoy seeing. You can’t buy that kind of workmanship .

New1500customram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It prevents, or greatly reduces, the oil vapors that get recirculated into the engine’s intake. The vapors end up as a thinner reconstituted oil in the can. That's my understanding anyway?
thanks, interesting I think I am going to look into this further! did you buy a kit? if so can you pass on that info?

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Wanted to black out my taillight centers. Tried hyper-dipping them multiple times but I just couldn’t get the center reverse light to come out clean because the tape wants to pull the dip. So I bought these carbon fiber tail light caps from Amazon and hyper-dipped them! So easy and looks great since all my other trim is satin black too.

Attachments

• 8FAC35BF-8C8E-4F48-A09D-B009B97274E3.jpeg
    8FAC35BF-8C8E-4F48-A09D-B009B97274E3.jpeg
    115 KB · Views: 139
  • 54682EA1-8E77-4410-8B59-673D0037EC47.jpeg
    54682EA1-8E77-4410-8B59-673D0037EC47.jpeg
    121.2 KB · Views: 137
  • 8D25635B-2053-45AC-9420-F054470BD658.jpeg
    8D25635B-2053-45AC-9420-F054470BD658.jpeg
    109.9 KB · Views: 138
  • 4BD42B00-CC02-4C17-BCDB-2240894884A4.jpeg
    4BD42B00-CC02-4C17-BCDB-2240894884A4.jpeg
    119.9 KB · Views: 135

Nsleone

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put the hellwig on the Big Blue Ewe today with the help of a co worker. I needed his torque wrench. Between my MR tools and his CT tools, we had what we needed and it took us twenty minutes. We had to do a little math since his wrench is in Newton meters not foot pounds. We work for a German company, so we live in Bar and Newton. A huge difference in handling, my wife drove it yesterday on the way to pick up some plate lunches, when we got there, she that’s enough you drive home. Let’s see what see thinks tonight. Also put in the car2link, and tazer. That’s it for my mods. Later
Which hole did you chose? I like the sound of the handling improvement you saw! Mine comes Saturday :)

Grumpa

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on the Atak? How is sound in the cabin when cruising?
I was worried it would be too loud. It is loud when you get on it, like it should be. Cruising down the road, you can barely hear it. I'm loving it.

ferraiolo1

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
thanks, interesting I think I am going to look into this further! did you buy a kit? if so can you pass on that info?

On the older engines, The injectors were in front of the valves. So the engine oil vapor would be washed with fuel before passing over the valves. With direct injection engines. There is no fuel washing the intake valves. Only the oil, which builds up, requiring valve cleanings, if you don’t perform valve cleanings you decrease performance. The catch can catches most of the oil vapor coming from your crank reducing the amount of build up on your valve.

If YouTube t”direct injection catch can” there is a lot of info out there. This isn’t a new issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sd2134

Reaction score
On the older engines, The injectors were in front of the valves. So the engine oil vapor would be washed with fuel before passing over the valves. With direct injection engines. There is no fuel washing the intake valves. Only the oil, which builds up, requiring valve cleanings, if you don’t perform valve cleanings you decrease performance. The catch can catches most of the oil vapor coming from your crank reducing the amount of build up on your valve.

If YouTube t”direct injection catch can” there is a lot of info out there. This isn’t a new issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not questioning the use of a catch can. But the 5.7 Hemi is not GDI gasoline direct port injected, it is sequential multi port injected.

MikeyHo808

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Mikey very pro install. That’s what I enjoy seeing. You can’t buy that kind of workmanship .
Thank you, sir. Its sites like this that give me the motivation to tackle jobs like this. That, and ALOT of YouTube. Although “mechanically inclined”, I’ve screwed my share of projects up, and cutting in to a perfectly fine exhaust system was testing my OCD. I think I spent more time under the truck fighting with my inner voice than it took to make the cut, hehehehe.
After all said and done, I am very happy with the end result, especially after it fixed my tailpipe position. Appreciate the comment!

Ldc2335

Reaction score
Wanted to black out my taillight centers. Tried hyper-dipping them multiple times but I just couldn’t get the center reverse light to come out clean because the tape wants to pull the dip. So I bought these carbon fiber tail light caps from Amazon and hyper-dipped them! So easy and looks great since all my other trim is satin black too.
Nice! I'm gonna do this, but probably white.

Sent from my Galaxy S21 Ultra using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread