5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

U

User_63152

Installed the MMX 87mm ported throttle body. Pretty straight forward/easy.

These trucks are so high, I had to use my mini step ladder. 🤣

I also ripped out the carbon filter in the air box. Cut my arm in the process, too. :cool:

I was so anxious, that I didn't take any other pictures. Doh!

Reconnected the battery, started it up, took it for a drive. Everything seems all good. (y)

I don't have a inch pound wrench, unfortunately. I tightened it pretty snug, but not too tight. I will have to get one and recheck it. It's going to bother me if I don't. LOL.

*UPDATE*

Went and picked up an inch pound torque wrench. I took everything apart again to get to the TB. I loosened the bolts up a bit to make sure I had the right torque on them. I torqued to 50 in lbs. 1, 2, 3... and on the 4th one... the threads are stripped!

So, anyone know if they can be fixed somehow? I took it for a drive and it seems ok. I didn't think I heard any leaking type noise, or whatever. I am just super upset at myself. I thought I was being so careful.

Sometimes (most of the time) I wish I could just leave things alone.

Attachments

• MMX 87mm TB.jpg
    MMX 87mm TB.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 178
  • MMX TB Installed.jpg
    MMX TB Installed.jpg
    163.2 KB · Views: 177
  • OCF.jpg
    OCF.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 177
Last edited by a moderator:

GATORB8

Reaction score

I also ripped out the carbon filter in the air box. Cut my arm in the process, too. :cool:

Reconnected the battery, started it up, took it for a drive. Everything seems all good. (y)

I don't have a inch pound wrench, unfortunately. I tightened it pretty snug, but not too tight. I will have to get one and recheck it. It's going to bother me if I don't. LOL.

*UPDATE*

Went and picked up an inch pound torque wrench. I took everything apart again to get to the TB. I loosened the bolts up a bit to make sure I had the right torque on them. I torqued to 50 in lbs. 1, 2, 3... and on the 4th one... the threads are stripped!

So, anyone know if they can be fixed somehow? I took it for a drive and it seems ok. I didn't think I heard any leaking type noise, or whatever. I am just super upset at myself. I thought I was being so careful.

Which threads got stripped? The ones on the intake?
Is it composite or aluminum? Are there threadserts?

U

User_63152

Which threads got stripped? The ones on the intake?
Is it composite or aluminum? Are there threadserts?
Yes. just 1 of the 4 holes. the right rear hole.

The manifold is plastic. I just left it in there. I didn't really look to see. I was too pissed off.

All I can say is, be very careful if anyone is going to do this.

GATORB8

Reaction score
Yes. just 1 of the 4 holes. the right rear hole.

The manifold is plastic. I just left it in there. I didn't really look to see. I was too pissed off.

All I can say is, be very careful if anyone is going to do this.
Is it stripped all the way down?

If not, you may be able to chase it with a tap. If so, there may be a composite version of a helicoil, or a threadsert you could use.

Reactions: c3k

smashweights

Reaction score
It was a good 3 inch diameter...hard to ignore. They did replace the entire dash though without any issues. Must be a dealer issue.
Mine did this a few weeks ago. Had the truck in to get the driver side mirror replaced (warranty issue) and had them check it out. Getting the dash pad replaced under warranty now too.

Attachments

• PXL_20210427_115634886.jpg
    PXL_20210427_115634886.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 244
  • PXL_20210427_115935526.jpg
    PXL_20210427_115935526.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 244
U

User_63152

Is it stripped all the way down?

If not, you may be able to chase it with a tap. If so, there may be a composite version of a helicoil, or a threadsert you could use.
I'm not sure how far down it's stripped, but I couldn't even get the 50 in. lbs. to click. the other 3 are fine. So, I'm pretty sure it is all the way down. I am looking at the helicoils and/or nut-sert avenue.

I am going down to my Dad's for a week or 2. I have a bunch of things to do on my truck down there. Muffler, tow hooks, Mopar tailgate step (possibly a front level. I keep going back and forth with that one). My dad has a hydraulic lift, so it will make it easier. LOL.

I will take a closer look at the TB issue when I get there. Plus, my Dad is a wizard at stuff like this. That's what he does. He fixes things that are broken. 41 years at GM, skilled trades / machine tool & die. LOL.

Hopefully we can figure out a solution. I'm sure it will be fine.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score

*UPDATE*

I don’t usually work on my vehicles. I can bleed just looking at a wrench.

1awesomelaw

Reaction score
Not today, and not to my truck. Yesterday installed a Borla ATAK on my buddies 21 Rebel and then added the taillight tint from Paul Cre. Got his stock exhaust off, without cutting, and Borla installed in under 45 minutes.

Please post photos of the truck debadged.
Thanks

SeaHogs

Reaction score

CPenn1086

Reaction score
Yeah the values are amazing right now, but I had a devil of time finding my truck in July of last year...I don't even want to think about looking for one now....
Pretty much every local dealer in my area has nothing to choose from when it comes to new inventory.

Yeah, the trade in prices are great...but I would only do this if I weren't planning to replace the truck right away.

NewTruckWhoDis

Reaction score
Pretty much every local dealer in my area has nothing to choose from when it comes to new inventory.

Yeah, the trade in prices are great...but I would only do this if I weren't planning to replace the truck right away.
You piqued my interest so I checked out my preferred local dealer and they have a TRX for $83. Huh, that's really not that unreasonable.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

U

User_63152

Went out and drove around (about 60 miles), and I can't hear any whistle or hissing from my TB, so I think I'm good with that 1 stripped bolt (actulally, I am not convinced that it's 100% stripped). I will keep an eye on it. I actually think my MPG improved slightly, too.

Did 5 0-60 runs, with an average of 7.12 secs. Not too bad with the taller tires I had put on. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online