5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What did you do to your Ram today???

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hahaha yeah there was a sienna and an odyssey that two families came with.
they all didn't have fun because the trail was rocky and rutted. took them over 2 hours to get in while i was cruising down the trail singing some country songs sending it through the whoops and rutted parts lol
This discussion reminds me of a time backpacking around Capitol Peak in Colorado.

I had a rental car, a Chevy Malibu or something. The dirty road up to the trailhead starts out easy enough, then it gets a bit rocky but especially, it has a bunch of dips. I had a few scrapes going up, but was making it up until I got to one of those big dips, where I almost high centered.

Then I had to awkwardly reverse down the hill and park at the lower lot. Which meant I had to hike up a mile or two in that dirt road, which wasn’t particularly scenic.

At last, I make it to the top so we can start the real hike. At the trailhead, I see the expected assortment of SUVs and trucks…and a Honda Fit. I felt a bit emasculated (though, to be fair, its shorter wheelbase surely helped on those dips).

Not exactly a Ram related story, though maybe I’ll return with my truck there one day. I need to go back anyway; I intended to do the Four Pass Loop, but unusually high snowfall that year prevented it. I still need to check that one off.
IMG_1884.jpeg

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This discussion reminds me of a time backpacking around Capitol Peak in Colorado.

I had a rental car, a Chevy Malibu or something. The dirty road up to the trailhead starts out easy enough, then it gets a bit rocky but especially, it has a bunch of dips. I had a few scrapes going up, but was making it up until I got to one of those big dips, where I almost high centered.

Then I had to awkwardly reverse down the hill and park at the lower lot. Which meant I had to hike up a mile or two in that dirt road, which wasn’t particularly scenic.

At last, I make it to the top so we can start the real hike. At the trailhead, I see the expected assortment of SUVs and trucks…and a Honda Fit. I felt a bit emasculated (though, to be fair, its shorter wheelbase surely helped on those dips).

Not exactly a Ram related story, though maybe I’ll return with my truck there one day. I need to go back anyway; I intended to do the Four Pass Loop, but unusually high snowfall that year prevented it. I still need to check that one off.
View attachment 164186
yeap reminds me of the stories of you go 4L for hours only to find a subaru outback at the end.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Installed a FitCam X, wasn't bad but beware, if you ordered the Kia/Volvo hardwire cable and they confirmed the vehicle, they changed the cable to the Ram cable that doesn't work. I didn't find out until I had my A-pillar out and the wire ran to the fuse box so double check them.

20230731_191950.jpg

20230731_192010.jpg

Camera fit is great and looks factory, you can barely see it from the outside and if you weren't looking, you wouldn't know it was there.

Screenshot_20230731_190245_FITCAMX.jpg

Now, the bad news. The camera works with the 512Gb SSD however the camera cannot see past 256Gb. I'm going to format the card on my computer later and see if that makes a difference.

Test Video. Sound did record but I'm turning that off, no need for that extra data

Not sure I'm satisfied with the video quality

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Installed a FitCam X, wasn't bad but beware, if you ordered the Kia/Volvo hardwire cable and they confirmed the vehicle, they changed the cable to the Ram cable that doesn't work. I didn't find out until I had my A-pillar out and the wire ran to the fuse box so double check them.

View attachment 164253

View attachment 164255

Camera fit is great and looks factory, you can barely see it from the outside and if you weren't looking, you wouldn't know it was there.

View attachment 164256

Now, the bad news. The camera works with the 512Gb SSD however the camera cannot see past 256Gb. I'm going to format the card on my computer later and see if that makes a difference.

Test Video. Sound did record but I'm turning that off, no need for that extra data

Not sure I'm satisfied with the video quality
Maybe it would be useful to keep the sound recording on? I could imagine a case where it would be useful to prove you blew your horn to warn someone you’re there. For instance, someone blindly backing out of a parking spot backs into you.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Maybe it would be useful to keep the sound recording on? I could imagine a case where it would be useful to prove you blew your horn to warn someone you’re there. For instance, someone blindly backing out of a parking spot backs into you.
Or that you audibly commented about something you saw that caused the accident.

BowDown

Reaction score
Or that you audibly commented about something you saw that caused the accident.

Yeah but its also recording conversations inside the cab which I don't like

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I have a Garmin 55. I turned that in-cab recording shiet off! As well, I turned my GPS off because I don’t want it recording my speed in case I got into an accident!
View attachment 164277
If you aren't breaking the law with your speed, then it shouldn't matter. But since you were worried about that, I'm guessing you don't follow speed laws. Any decent crash scene investigator can determine speed at time of impact without needing GPS. And if the crash is serious enough they are checking to see if speed was a factor, you are already screwed with or without GPS data. Which your truck already records, and can be retrieved during an investigation.

Dogpatch

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you aren't breaking the law with your speed, then it shouldn't matter. But since you were worried about that, I'm guessing you don't follow speed laws. Any decent crash scene investigator can determine speed at time of impact without needing GPS. And if the crash is serious enough they are checking to see if speed was a factor, you are already screwed with or without GPS data. Which your truck already records, and can be retrieved during an investigation.
You’re right. I don’t always follow speed laws. And if you were looking at my speedometer, you should realize it’s in kph not mph and further, that stretch of road the speed limit was 100 kph. I was doing 105 kph. Big whoop!
I have a radar detector as well. Not that I’m a speed demon by any stretch. Typically I’m within about 10 mph of the speed limited. My truck, my choice how I chose to drive.
I’m not going to give any investigator any extra information. They can work for it.

Last edited:

6of36

Reaction score
You’re right. I don’t always follow speed laws. And if you were looking at my speedometer, you should realize it’s in kph not mph and further, that stretch of road the speed limit was 100 kph. I was doing 105 kph. Big whoop!
I have a radar detector as well. Not that I’m a speed demon by any stretch. Typically I’m within about 10 mph of the speed limited. My truck, my choice how I chose to drive.
I’m not going to give any investigator any extra information. They can work for it.
The BCM keeps track of everything the truck is doing. It records speed, radio volume, whether wipers, lights, or any other accessory is on, whether the brakes were applied, and other things. It keeps something like 15 minutes, and records over. If they want the info, of exactly what you were doing, they have it. Most accidents they don't bother though.

MurphDogg

Reaction score
Finally got my Bilsteins and wheels and tires installed.
Bilstein 5100 struts on setting 5 (non ORG) with matching 5100 rear shocks.
BRINK B204 Insurgent wheels in Smoke Machined Titanium, 20x9 zero offset. Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT LT285/60R20.

20230729_200553.jpg 20230729_191741.jpg 20230729_200820.jpg 20230729_201015.jpg

Scram1500

Reaction score
Installed Energy Suspension 5.5160R 36mm front sway bar bushings. Solved the front end clunk over big bumps and that floaty feeling on the highway. The OEM bushings were fairly mashed for 30K miles.

As a bonus some dried cow :poop: fell from the mud flaps and landed on my face and neck. I didn't notice the smell until the dried feces became re-hydrated by sweat. Needless to say I spent more time washing up than it took to change the bushings.

jl13

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Installed Energy Suspension 5.5160R 36mm front sway bar bushings. Solved the front end clunk over big bumps and that floaty feeling on the highway. The OEM bushings were fairly mashed for 30K miles.

As a bonus some dried cow :poop: fell from the mud flaps and landed on my face and neck. I didn't notice the smell until the dried feces became re-hydrated by sweat. Needless to say I spent more time washing up than it took to change the bushings.
some think bird droppings are good luck, don't know about cow, :unsure: - just in case go buy a lottery ticket - mega million is crazy high

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Not a trip like Adam. Left the Limited at home and took the camper out for a few days on her maiden voyage ”glamping” last weekend.
Future plan is to set my Limited up to flat tow.
View attachment 164279 View attachment 164280 View attachment 164281
I passed a guy on the highway the other day. Have to admit I was just a bit jealous. Even though something that big would never fit in our favorite spots.

It was a very nice looking coach, pulling a TRX. In the bed was a 4 wheeler, and they had a rack on the back with 2 dirt bikes.

Scion

Reaction score
The BCM keeps track of everything the truck is doing. It records speed, radio volume, whether wipers, lights, or any other accessory is on, whether the brakes were applied, and other things. It keeps something like 15 minutes, and records over. If they want the info, of exactly what you were doing, they have it. Most accidents they don't bother though.

Easy solution. If you're in an accident where you screwed up and the BCM will tell on you, just get your windshield tinted. That'll show that squealin' BCM who's boss!! :LOL:

(Of course, as a forensic analyst, I know this to be false)

Users who are viewing this thread