5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What could be done better in new RAM

borant

Reaction score
There is already another thread with new feature/technologies wish list. I'm starting a different list what is wrong with current production hoping that @RamCares could help FCA address it for new customers.
In the order how I was discovering it:

1. Limited Ivory Tri-coat color is bleached shade and looks like working truck white with extra metallic. It is not the same FCA Ivory as on 2018 Jeep GC.
I initially thought about rejecting and re-ordering something differewnt b ut decided to keep it since off-road package and non-etorque are currently not available. Also, don't want wait another 2 months. The question is will FCA return cost difference between tricoat and metallic? :)

2. Front bumper is offset like reported by others too. FCA probably need verify production procedure for bumper mounting and better quality control.

3. Interior mirror is tiny like FCA put leftover from Fiat 500 to new truck. The funny thing is that rear headrests are folding for better rear view but you cannot even see headrests with this mirror anyway:

IMG_0338.jpg

4. Driver's floor mat has flat section for right foot but it is not extending all the way to gas pedal. When driving heel always hit that groove on the picture, very annoying and uncomfortable:

IMG_0337.jpg

5. When I drove my truck for the first few times I got scared by some loud slam behind me. It took me some time to realize that it is rear door lock, extremely loud even for much cheaper cars without all advertised luxury and insulation.

6. No cuff/stitching here. Customers have to be fine with this best in class luxury:

IMG_0339.jpg

Last edited:

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There is already another thread with new feature/technologies wish list. I'm starting a different list what is wrong with current production hoping that @RamCares could help FCA address it for new customers.

1. Limited Ivory Tri-coat color is bleached shade and looks like working truck white with extra metallic. It is not the same FCA Ivory as on 2018 Jeep GC.
I initially thought about rejecting and re-ordering something differewnt b ut decided to keep it since off-road package and non-etorque are currently not available. Also, don't want wait another 2 months. The question is will FCA return cost difference between tricoat and metallic? :)

2. Front bumper is offset like reported by others too. FCA probably need verify production procedure for bumper mounting and better quality control.

3. Interior mirror is tiny like FCA put leftover from Fiat 500 to new truck. The funny thing is that rear headrests are folding for better rear view but you cannot even see headrests with this mirror anyway:

View attachment 965

4. Driver's floor mat has flat section for right foot but it is not extending all the way to gas pedal. When driving heel always hit that groove on the picture, very annoying and uncomfortable:

View attachment 966

5. When I drove my truck for the first few times I got scared by some loud slam behind me. It took me some time to realize that it is rear door lock, extremely loud even for much cheaper cars without all advertised luxury and insulation.

My front passenger lock is very loud as well. Haven't decided to take it in just for that.

Get the Mopar All Weather Rubber Mats, they cover much more floor and no issues with the gas pedal.

Slim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am disappointed to hear about the Ivory paint. I haven't seen it in person so I will reserve judgement but listening to the rave reviews about the Ivory paint on the Jeeps I was expecting a home run. It is a 500.00 dollar upcharge for it even thought they are charging a fee to put ANY coat of paint on the truck now.

ryelinek

Reaction score
I have yet to see an ivory in person so I can’t quite comment on that. Only thing that throws me off at times you listed is the front bumper.

Every so often I feel like the bumper is off a little on my truck but they all are like this it seems. I just feel like the very bottom portion of the bumper on my driver side curves in more than the piece above it and isn’t 100% flush but I’ve seen other trucks like that so maybe it’s by design that way.

I am talking about the very bottom of the bumper where it wraps around on the outside by the driver wheel well fender. Doesn’t seem totally flush with the piece above. This picture isn’t the best to show this. May need another tomorrow. A9B6AF00-EE74-49A5-B933-59FF2EF93479.jpeg

FLG8R

Reaction score

View attachment 965

View attachment 966

Don't know if you're aware of this or not but if you take your truck to the dealer they are required to defeat the auto lock feature upon your request. This way you won't get that unexpected shock from the sound because you will control the locking of the doors not the speed of the truck. I had a Charger Scat Pack that was setup that way and could not be defeated through U Connect so I had the dealer do it. My fear was always of driving over a bridge above water and going through a guard rail. Somehow I couldn't imagine myself being calm enough to press the unlock button when I hit the water!

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have yet to see an ivory in person so I can’t quite comment on that. Only thing that throws me off at times you listed is the front bumper.

Every so often I feel like the bumper is off a little on my truck but they all are like this it seems. I just feel like the very bottom portion of the bumper on my driver side curves in more than the piece above it and isn’t 100% flush but I’ve seen other trucks like that so maybe it’s by design that way.

I am talking about the very bottom of the bumper where it wraps around on the outside by the driver wheel well fender. Doesn’t seem totally flush with the piece above. This picture isn’t the best to show this. May need another tomorrow. View attachment 970

I think your front bumper is fine. It's designed to have a gap between the front bumper and the trim piece above it - some colors just make it more noticeable. If you look at my F150...it has the gap as well (Ford had a rubber trim piece in their to help direct air into a baffle sending it over the wheel well - I removed that trim piece (was missing PPF below it and didn't want the paint to rub off)).

6KMiwUB.jpg

borant

Reaction score
My front passenger lock is very loud as well. Haven't decided to take it in just for that.

Get the Mopar All Weather Rubber Mats, they cover much more floor and no issues with the gas pedal.
I already ordered Mopar carpet mats, I don't like rubber all-weather chipness. Hate missing the limited mats premium design, they are nicely matching to wood pattern and FCA definitely charged me premium cost for these already.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I already ordered Mopar carpet mats, I don't like rubber all-weather chipness. Hate missing the limited mats premium design, they are nicely matching to wood pattern and FCA definitely charged me premium cost for these already.

Darn - my set is still rolled up in the factory bag. Guess I'd better put on ebay.

2019Bhorn

Reaction score
I think they should have enter and go on all trims, in bought my truck and asked why the doors don't unlock when I reach my hand around them, they said my truck doesn't come with it, , little disappointed

skatz5000

Reaction score
you don't sit that close to the mirror that's not a great representation of it lol. I can pretty much see the whole width of my rear window through the mirror. I have no issues with my mats, I feel like if I put my heel in that ridge you mentioned it would cause knee problems

borant

Reaction score
you don't sit that close to the mirror that's not a great representation of it lol.

That is exact picture that I see. You meant I sit farther, right? The closer you to the mirror the wider field of view you will see.

Last edited:

SoCal Truck

Reaction score
Would like to see some additional Options for the Limited.
1. Two tone paint
2. Some unique exterior matte colors like you see with the Toyota Tundras and Subaru.
3. Sport Hood option
4. 19 Speaker Stereo should have better loudness. You advertise that and it should wake the neighbors. Premium sound in our Volvo you can only get to 1/2 way mark and the whole neighborhood can here it.
5. More interior colors. Would like that brown/black option that everyone mentions in the lower models. The Indigo/Frost is nice but can easily show dirt and get discolored.
6. Heads-up-display

Flot

Reaction score
Coming from my 2011 Ram, I agree the first thing I thought when I sat in the driver's seat was "wow that rearview mirror is an odd size/shape." I've quickly gotten used to it, and I don't notice any visibility challenges but it is a difference.

I would like to know why my rear floormats need to say "RAM BIN" in big letters on them. I saw that at an auto show truck and thought, surely, this is just for the show or for demo vehicles to show off the storage.. but nope. I guess this way if anyone ever breaks into my truck they'll know to look under the rear mat so they can steal my jumper cables while they're in there. :)

Kramersp

Reaction score
What should RAM have done....hmmm....

1)Add direct and port injection to the 5.7L.
2)Done something innovative with the tailgate.
3)More aluminum
4)customizable interior accent lighting
5)More exterior lighting for work
6)massaging seats

And finally, been more focused on quality of the product and less on pushing a product to beat Chevy in volume.

Ickabod

Reaction score
I am starting to really dislike the transmission and the propensity to always shift to the highest gear because it can. This makes the engine seem sluggish and bogged down when having to accelerate at cruising speeds. I am sure FCA did this for fuel economy, but if I really cared about mpg's, I wouldn't have gotten a truck.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am starting to really dislike the transmission and the propensity to always shift to the highest gear because it can. This makes the engine seem sluggish and bogged down when having to accelerate at cruising speeds. I am sure FCA did this for fuel economy, but if I really cared about mpg's, I wouldn't have gotten a truck.

I've noticed that too - hate it! Also the lag when you hit the gas. A far cry from the EcoBoost/6sp combo I used to have.

mm-etech

Reaction score
1. HUD (Heads Up Display) - I had this on my last 3 cars and I will really miss it. Very useful!
2. Auto Break
3. More powerful engine options
4. 10 Speed Transmission
5. Manual or power build-in shades for rear passengers
6. More interior color options (on limited)
7. Ambient lighting options for interior
8. Integrated step for rear cargo (similar to F-150)

Reactions: sgk

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
1. HUD (Heads Up Display) - I had this on my last 3 cars and I will really miss it. Very useful!
2. Auto Break
3. More powerful engine options
4. 10 Speed Transmission
5. Manual or power build-in shades for rear passengers
6. More interior color options (on limited)
7. Ambient lighting options for interior
8. Integrated step for rear cargo (similar to F-150)

For number 2, does the higher optioned trucks not have auto break? Because something jars my truck to a stop every time it sees a bush

Users who are viewing this thread