5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What could be done better in new RAM

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I am starting to really dislike the transmission and the propensity to always shift to the highest gear because it can. This makes the engine seem sluggish and bogged down when having to accelerate at cruising speeds. I am sure FCA did this for fuel economy, but if I really cared about mpg's, I wouldn't have gotten a truck.

Agreed. I had a V6 Grand Cherokee Overland that felt the same, but you could shift it in sport and it would handle the gears and revs like a vehicle that was awake. Not sure if im missing a button somewhere to wake this truck up? Probably should have gotten higher gears or etorque. It doesn't bother me enough to do anything other than online ***** about it tho, and I certainly wouldn't say a thing to my fellow truck friends of other brands lol

mm-etech

Reaction score
For number 2, does the higher optioned trucks not have auto break? Because something jars my truck to a stop every time it sees a bush

Auto break will use the parking break when you stop at the red light and keeps the break so you don't have to hold the break. once you push the gas pedal, it will release the break. What you are referring to is collision avoidance ....

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Auto break will use the parking break when you stop at the red light and keeps the break so you don't have to hold the break. once you push the gas pedal, it will release the break. What you are referring to is collision avoidance ....

ah. For some reason I thought thats why my Limited did. Good to know

VaderRebel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed. I had a V6 Grand Cherokee Overland that felt the same, but you could shift it in sport and it would handle the gears and revs like a vehicle that was awake. Not sure if im missing a button somewhere to wake this truck up? Probably should have gotten higher gears or etorque. It doesn't bother me enough to do anything other than online ***** about it tho, and I certainly wouldn't say a thing to my fellow truck friends of other brands lol

I find when I disable MDS by downshifting and then upshifting/selecting full range of all 8 gears it's much more responsive and shifts much sharper and at better/sportier rpms. Some folks new to Ram don't know they can disable MDS, sorry if it's redundant info.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I've noticed that too - hate it! Also the lag when you hit the gas. A far cry from the EcoBoost/6sp combo I used to have.
These are the kinds of issues that a tune will address. Recalibrating the 'nannies', so to speak. I'm guessing we'll have to wait a bit for tuners to sort out the Hemi/8-speed combo in the new trucks, especially for eTorque motors.

mikemcfarland

Reaction score
I am starting to really dislike the transmission and the propensity to always shift to the highest gear because it can. This makes the engine seem sluggish and bogged down when having to accelerate at cruising speeds. I am sure FCA did this for fuel economy, but if I really cared about mpg's, I wouldn't have gotten a truck.

What gears do u have? 392 or 321 that is a very important detail. too much of a BLANKET statement.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
How do your "breaks" work. I know my "brakes" work better than your 'breaks":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::LOL::LOL:
Grade 1 grammar :)

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These are the kinds of issues that a tune will address. Recalibrating the 'nannies', so to speak. I'm guessing we'll have to wait a bit for tuners to sort out the Hemi/8-speed combo in the new trucks, especially for eTorque motors.

True, but I'm not a big fan of tunes. Once the truck is moving it's fine, just a lag when you take off from a red light or at a stop sign. Can't believe RAM thinks it's acceptable.

once again- what gears do you have? BLANKET statement again.

3.21 - Noticed the SAME issue on a 3.92 truck I test drove. It's not a gearing issue - throttle lag is a programming issue! Sounds like the pedal commander will fix it. Once I push the pedal enough, it gets up and goes. Just not used to the lag, neither of my F150s had it or my '06 2500 Hemi.

alacombe

Ram Guru
Reaction score
once again- what gears do you have? BLANKET statement again.
True, but I'm not a big fan of tunes. Once the truck is moving it's fine, just a lag when you take off from a red light or at a stop sign. Can't believe RAM thinks it's acceptable.

3.21 - Noticed the SAME issue on a 3.92 truck I test drove. It's not a gearing issue - throttle lag is a programming issue! Sounds like the pedal commander will fix it. Once I push the pedal enough, it gets up and goes. Just not used to the lag, neither of my F150s had it or my '06 2500 Hemi.

It appears doesn't matter what gears you have

Users who are viewing this thread