5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird Electronic Issue

A-A-RonMD

Reaction score
Hello all. Recently joined after purchasing my new 2020 Ram Rebel. First time getting to buy my own car let alone owning a truck. I love it. Long story short I wanted to get some power steps and bed lights installed. My current set up for the truck when purchased has 5.7L V8 with etorque, Rebel 12, Black appearance package, safety and convenience group, and the comfort and convenience group. Well after a month of owning with zero difficulties I decided I wanted to get the power rails, bed lights, and the cargo rails installed along with a spray in liner.

This is where everything started acting up. I went to the local shop that the dealership recommended and said they work with. Had the amp research power steps and the factory bed lights installed. After the initial install the power steps worked perfectly. The bed lights would not turn on at all and was told I would need to go to the dealership to get them to flash the system and add the bed light module. Upon turning my truck on the lower instrument gauge with the switches for traction control, tow/haul mode, and the front and rear park sensors was no longer functional and those settings are "temporarily unavailable" according to the messages on my truck. My rain sensing wipers also only work manually. The gauge to switch between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive also doesn't light up or work. The light switch to the far left also doesn't work and my lights are permanently on if my truck is on (Really hoping my brights aren't on and I'm blinding everyone). I took it to the service center where they looked at everything and showed my a print out that the modules are all there but they're not functioning properly because the wiring is wrong and they added the module for the bed lights and charged me a "discounted rate" of $150 to flash my system. I took it back to the initial shop and had the look at the wiring. They said everything was perfect wiring now but the bed lights work and just needed to fix a pin. Still having same issues except the bed lights work. Took it back to the dealership who said nope same issues happening and physically gave me the printout this time. They did say they weren't allowed to do that but the manager gave me his cell.

Everyone on both sides has been really nice but they each keep saying its the other guys fault so I really have no idea and I'm not very mechanically savvy so I'm pretty clueless with this stuff. Was just wondering if anyone had any insights on what could be happening? I've attached the printout the dealership gave me. Please let me know if you need any other information. I'll try and get it. Thank you everyone for the help.

Attachments

• scans.pdf
    470.5 KB · Views: 23

gpbst3

Reaction score
If all the problems started after the local shop did the work they are at fault. Something is not right and it should be fixed on their dime.

Have they tried to disconnect the wiring they did to see of the problems continue?

A-A-RonMD

Reaction score
If all the problems started after the local shop did the work they are at fault. Something is not right and it should be fixed on their dime.

Have they tried to disconnect the wiring they did to see of the problems continue?
They did. Or at least they said they did. Because I had asked to test with everything unplugged to see if it was the wiring or the computer. They said it was the same when it was unplugged. And when they plugged it back in the bed lights magically worked this time. This is why I'm confused because someone is lying or both are clueless and I don't know how to go through and verify which is what I'm trying to do. I have a feeling I'm gonna be spending the day tomorrow trying to uninstall and install both parts over again.

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My bed lights were part of the BUG option on my Ram and, so, were factory installed and I don't have any problems. However, some member on this forum posted that there is incorrect information on the instruction sheet when trying to install the Mopar bed light accessory. I believe it has to do with one of the electrical connectors. Unfortunately, I do not know the name of that member but he made a video showing the problem and the solution. You might want to do a search.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hello all. Recently joined after purchasing my new 2020 Ram Rebel. First time getting to buy my own car let alone owning a truck. I love it. Long story short I wanted to get some power steps and bed lights installed. My current set up for the truck when purchased has 5.7L V8 with etorque, Rebel 12, Black appearance package, safety and convenience group, and the comfort and convenience group. Well after a month of owning with zero difficulties I decided I wanted to get the power rails, bed lights, and the cargo rails installed along with a spray in liner.

This is where everything started acting up. I went to the local shop that the dealership recommended and said they work with. Had the amp research power steps and the factory bed lights installed. After the initial install the power steps worked perfectly. The bed lights would not turn on at all and was told I would need to go to the dealership to get them to flash the system and add the bed light module. Upon turning my truck on the lower instrument gauge with the switches for traction control, tow/haul mode, and the front and rear park sensors was no longer functional and those settings are "temporarily unavailable" according to the messages on my truck. My rain sensing wipers also only work manually. The gauge to switch between 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel drive also doesn't light up or work. The light switch to the far left also doesn't work and my lights are permanently on if my truck is on (Really hoping my brights aren't on and I'm blinding everyone). I took it to the service center where they looked at everything and showed my a print out that the modules are all there but they're not functioning properly because the wiring is wrong and they added the module for the bed lights and charged me a "discounted rate" of $150 to flash my system. I took it back to the initial shop and had the look at the wiring. They said everything was perfect wiring now but the bed lights work and just needed to fix a pin. Still having same issues except the bed lights work. Took it back to the dealership who said nope same issues happening and physically gave me the printout this time. They did say they weren't allowed to do that but the manager gave me his cell.

Everyone on both sides has been really nice but they each keep saying its the other guys fault so I really have no idea and I'm not very mechanically savvy so I'm pretty clueless with this stuff. Was just wondering if anyone had any insights on what could be happening? I've attached the printout the dealership gave me. Please let me know if you need any other information. I'll try and get it. Thank you everyone for the help.
Check all of the fuses? Under the hood AND under the dash? Almost sounds like something blew when the chop shop added those accessories. It's definitely not the dealership that's to blame if everything was working fine initially. I would ask that shop to show you that everything still doesn't work after unplugging....still think something blew though.

Boston

Reaction score
Let me guess. They used those crappy useless scotch lock connectors.

Boston

Reaction score
Isn't that the same as scotch tape? Lol

Isn't that the same as scotch tape? Lol

These evil things.
67c49278e9fcd4ea6ccdef76b5b20e59.jpg

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
There’s a video on you tube from Hamerdown Motorsports , one of his videos he added the bed lights and the wiring instructions were wrong . He figured it out and explained it . He also had a ton of electrical issues after he unhooked the battery but everything came back on its own after awhile .

Dr. Jim

Ram Guru
Reaction score
There’s a video on you tube from Hamerdown Motorsports , one of his videos he added the bed lights and the wiring instructions were wrong . He figured it out and explained it . He also had a ton of electrical issues after he unhooked the battery but everything came back on its own after awhile .

I believe this might be the video I was thinking of in my earlier post.

A-A-RonMD

Reaction score
Check all of the fuses? Under the hood AND under the dash? Almost sounds like something blew when the chop shop added those accessories. It's definitely not the dealership that's to blame if everything was working fine initially. I would ask that shop to show you that everything still doesn't work after unplugging....still think something blew though.
That's what I was starting to think about. Say everything was wired properly. Is there a fuse that would control all of the following:

Front parking sensors
Rear parking sensors
The dash cluster button things for the tow/haul mode, front and rear parking sensors, and traction control
The dash cluster for 2wd and 4wd
The cluster/knob thing to control headlights

All the fuse diagrams I find online are for 2013 to 2018 rams.

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That's what I was starting to think about. Say everything was wired properly. Is there a fuse that would control all of the following:

Front parking sensors
Rear parking sensors
The dash cluster button things for the tow/haul mode, front and rear parking sensors, and traction control
The dash cluster for 2wd and 4wd
The cluster/knob thing to control headlights

All the fuse diagrams I find online are for 2013 to 2018 rams.
There are fuses for all you listed and if they did a chop job messing with all of those wires....they could've possibly blew way more than just one fuse. But I believe the manual has all of the fuses listed. I'll see if I can find the pages for ya

PowerJrod

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Start with page 449...from there on is the entire list of fuses and description (at least for the 2019 Ram)

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Since the BCM has lost communication with modules on both CAN Busses, I would check the C5 and C6 connectors on the BCM. It’s up above the brake pedal-
5JGJIuo.jpg

There’s levers that latch those in securely, and may not be seated all the way. Unplug and plug them back in to make sure they are latched all the way down.

A-A-RonMD

Reaction score
Since the BCM has lost communication with modules on both CAN Busses, I would check the C5 and C6 connectors on the BCM. It’s up above the brake pedal-
5JGJIuo.jpg

There’s levers that latch those in securely, and may not be seated all the way. Unplug and plug them back in to make sure they are latched all the way down.

Thank you. Are those like sealed in? Because I can't get those two to budge even a little. But the bottom right one comes right out. Theoretically if they were put in backwards anyway of knowing what may happen?

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Thank you. Are those like sealed in? Because I can't get those two to budge even a little. But the bottom right one comes right out. Theoretically if they were put in backwards anyway of knowing what may happen?
They can’t be installed backwards. You should not be able to pull that connector out without rotating the lever latch up about 90 degrees. When you insert the connector, and pull down on the lever, it cranks the connector in and locks it into place. The arrow is pointing at the gray lever in the pic, and it is in it’s locked position.
EJjmv5i.jpg

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The blue connector not being seated makes some sense, also. It contains the LIN Bus, panel lamps driver, cargo lamp switch signal, headlamps switch signal, etc-
IgxiXI7.jpg

A-A-RonMD

Reaction score
Update. I couldn't figure out how to get the switches to work but everything seemed in place to me. The original shop that installed refused to look at it and stated everything was right so my truck's been sitting at another shop. One thats supposed to be better. They got hit with COVID and after a week of sitting there not getting looked at they get back to me today that my truck is too new and their equipment can't run a diagnostic on the truck. We're gonna see what happens when they uninstall the powersteps. Hopefully everything reverses after that. Anyone know of any good places in Georgia that would be reliable to get stuff installed at some point in the future?

Users who are viewing this thread