5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weird condensation build up

RajD1992

Reaction score
Hey guys so I post here from time to time I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4, have owned it since September 2019 with no huge issues and it’s been a dream of a truck. However we had a lot of rain a few nights ago and today when I got in to drive I noticed condensation on the window but it was from the inside, I then turned on the defrost and drive off and it went away and I didn’t think much of it. I just went back out to get some stuff I left in my truck and noticed it again. I immediately began looking for leaks and couldn’t find anything. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I live in Southern California and I doubt 1 night of rain could of done this. I have attached a picture for reference.

Attachments

• 8DD834F6-F15E-4DD2-8DEB-0A1ECC52090A.jpeg
    8DD834F6-F15E-4DD2-8DEB-0A1ECC52090A.jpeg
    91.8 KB · Views: 122

Zeeya

Reaction score
We have had a few days (South Louisiana) where temps got up in the 70's during the day (Black Rebel/black interior) and the temps drop real quick when the sun goes down and I have had a little haze build up right at night fall. Opened the doors and still warm inside. I left the doors open about 10 minutes and it went away. I have checked the carpet areas and other reported areas for dampness and I haven't found anything. I just figured it was the quick temp change.

RajD1992

Reaction score
We have had a few days (South Louisiana) where temps got up in the 70's during the day (Black Rebel/black interior) and the temps drop real quick when the sun goes down and I have had a little haze build up right at night fall. Opened the doors and still warm inside. I left the doors open about 10 minutes and it went away. I have checked the carpet areas and other reported areas for dampness and I haven't found anything. I just figured it was the quick temp change.
Interesting it has changed here from mid to high 70’s to the 30’s and 40’s. Either way I drove it today and my AC works and everything seemed normal.

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
That happens here too , mostly in the spring and fall when the temps are warm during the day and cool at night . Happens to every car I’ve ever owned .

RamGuy32

Reaction score
Hey guys so I post here from time to time I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4, have owned it since September 2019 with no huge issues and it’s been a dream of a truck. However we had a lot of rain a few nights ago and today when I got in to drive I noticed condensation on the window but it was from the inside, I then turned on the defrost and drive off and it went away and I didn’t think much of it. I just went back out to get some stuff I left in my truck and noticed it again. I immediately began looking for leaks and couldn’t find anything. Has anyone experienced anything like this? I live in Southern California and I doubt 1 night of rain could of done this. I have attached a picture for reference.
Do not discount this. My truck has been in for service here in NorCal for about 3 weeks waiting for parts. There was a leak that was coming from the shark fin antenna and the rear window on the passenger side at the top. One way to tell is to reach under the back seat on the passenger side and there is a carpeted flap. Reach under that towards the back wall and eventually you'll be able to feel metal and a lip. Mine had standing water on the lip. Additionally, I had water in the headliner that got to the point (where I noticed the problem) where when I hit the brakes, water came down the inside of the windshield. Imagine the shock of turning on the wipers and noticing that it was inside the vehicle. These leaks are somewhat common and FCA still hasn't addressed in even the 2020 or 2021's. The dealership has been good with a loaner and ordering the following: New rear window and seal, new shark fin and seal, new headliner, new carpet kit (to address the smell).

Don't mean to scare ya, but if it's under warranty get it fixed ASAP as this would have been hellishly expensive if not for the warranty.

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Reaction score
Do not discount this. My truck has been in for service here in NorCal for about 3 weeks waiting for parts. There was a leak that was coming from the shark fin antenna and the rear window on the passenger side at the top. One way to tell is to reach under the back seat on the passenger side and there is a carpeted flap. Reach under that towards the back wall and eventually you'll be able to feel metal and lip. Mine hand standing water in the lip. Additionally, I had water in the headliner that got to the point (where I noticed the problem) where when I hit the brakes, water came down the inside of the windshield. Imagine the shock of turning on the wipers and noticing that it was inside the vehicle. These leaks are somewhat common and FCA still hasn't addressed in even the 2020 or 2021's. The dealership has been good with a loaner and ordering the following: New rear window and seal, new shark fin and seal, new headliner, new carpet kit (to address the smell).

Don't mean to scare ya, but if it's under warranty get it fixed ASAP as this would have been hellishly expensive if not for the warranty.
^^ this is also very true .

RajD1992

Reaction score
I checked this morning and unfortunately it is leaking! This is unacceptable for a $63,000 truck!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I checked this morning and unfortunately it is leaking! This is unacceptable for a $63,000 truck!
I get your frustration, but it's unacceptable no matter how much the truck costs. The guy who pays $30k for his Tradesman has just as much right to be upset about a leak as a guy who pays $70k for their Limited. These trucks are all built together on the same assembly line. The amount you pay doesn't dictate who will and won't have problems. It's not like the assembly line workers are saying "The buyer is paying $63k for this truck, so lets be extra careful on this one". In fact one could argue that the more you pay the more chance you will a problem. The more gadgets you have, the more points of failure you can have, and the higher chance of something going wrong.
Being down that low I would lean towards the sunroof drains .
I get why you might think that, but you can't judge where a leak might be coming from based on where you find the water. It can certainly be a clue, but since gravity pulls water down to the lowest point, even a leak coming from the shark fin can find its way down to the floor. I've chased leaks on lots of vehicles and buildings over the years. It's amazing what water can do once it gets inside.

From the reading I've done, the most likely causes of leaks on these trucks are the CHMSL, rear window, shark fin, sunroof drains, and pinch welds.

RajD1992

Reaction score
I get your frustration, but it's unacceptable no matter how much the truck costs. The guy who pays $30k for his Tradesman has just as much right to be upset about a leak as a guy who pays $70k for their Limited. These trucks are all built together on the same assembly line. The amount you pay doesn't dictate who will and won't have problems. It's not like the assembly line workers are saying "The buyer is paying $63k for this truck, so lets be extra careful on this one". In fact one could argue that the more you pay the more chance you will a problem. The more gadgets you have, the more points of failure you can have, and the higher chance of something going wrong.

I get why you might think that, but you can't judge where a leak might be coming from based on where you find the water. It can certainly be a clue, but since gravity pulls water down to the lowest point, even a leak coming from the shark fin can find its way down to the floor. I've chased leaks on lots of vehicles and buildings over the years. It's amazing what water can do once it gets inside.

From the reading I've done, the most likely causes of leaks on these trucks are the CHMSL, rear window, shark fin, sunroof drains, and pinch welds.
I understand but my point is there is a certain level of quality you expect when you buy a top of the line model. All cars should come with good quality but when you pay the high price tag it should come with peace of mind because you pay for better interior materials and better features. Either way nobody who buys a new truck should be dealing with leaks in this way at all. I will be calling my local dealership when they open in another hour.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I understand but my point is there is a certain level of quality you expect when you buy a top of the line model. All cars should come with good quality but when you pay the high price tag it should come with peace of mind because you pay for better interior materials and better features. Either way nobody who buys a new truck should be dealing with leaks in this way at all. I will be calling my local dealership when they open in another hour.
You'd think so, but that's not the case with mass produced vehicles. You're paying more for the cooler stuff you get on higher trim levels. You're paying more for higher grade materials and more options. But you are not paying more for a higher level of quality. More expensive materials do not necessarily equal higher quality. The people who are assembling a Tradesman are the same people who are assembling a Limited. It's not likely that their quality control standards are any different based on which trim level they're building.

RajD1992

Reaction score
You'd think so, but that's not the case with mass produced vehicles. You're paying more for the cooler stuff you get on higher trim levels. You're paying more for higher grade materials and more options. But you are not paying more for a higher level of quality. More expensive materials do not necessarily equal higher quality. The people who are assembling a Tradesman are the same people who are assembling a Limited. It's not likely that their quality control standards are any different based on which trim level they're building.
I understand I work in manufacturing and I see it all the time. It’s the sad reality especially with a newer model/design. Thankfully the dealership will be looking at my truck this Friday at 10 am. Diagnose and hopefully resolve the issue.

RamGuy32

Reaction score
I understand I work in manufacturing and I see it all the time. It’s the sad reality especially with a newer model/design. Thankfully the dealership will be looking at my truck this Friday at 10 am. Diagnose and hopefully resolve the issue.
Now prepare to wait for parts. I'm three weeks to the day and they're estimating mine will be completed tomorrow. Mine was shark fin, rear brake light, and a cracked window frame at the top of the window on the passenger side. Glad you pulled the mats as that is what I saw after I had the water run down the interior of the front windshield. If there is water in the headliner or carpets, make sure you demand they replace that. It will just mildew and smell like a car from the 60's inside from here on out.

RajD1992

Reaction score
Now prepare to wait for parts. I'm three weeks to the day and they're estimating mine will be completed tomorrow. Mine was shark fin, rear brake light, and a cracked window frame at the top of the window on the passenger side. Glad you pulled the mats as that is what I saw after I had the water run down the interior of the front windshield. If there is water in the headliner or carpets, make sure you demand they replace that. It will just mildew and smell like a car from the 60's inside from here on out.
I will, anything that needs to be replaced needs to be replaced and I should be given a loaner in the meantime. I didn’t find anything in the headliner but the carpet was soaked.

RamCares

Reaction score
Hi @RajD1992, we are sorry to see this! Please feel free to send our team a private message with your VIN for additional support during your upcoming dealer service. We would be more than happy to escalate a case on your behalf to ensure that this is fully addressed and resolved for you.

Kathryn
Ram Cares

RajD1992

Reaction score
Dropped it off yesterday looks like it was the rear window seal according to the dealership technician. I’m getting a rental on Ram and they will probably have my truck to me by Wednesday as they have the parts in stock.

Users who are viewing this thread