5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Weight Distribution Hitch Poll

What weight distribution hitch do you use?

• Total voters

Birdman_2000

Reaction score
They serve different purposes. WDH has a leveling effect, but ultimately you are trying to put weight evenly across the axles. airbags actually push the back of the truck up to eliminate sag.
Yep, I got the bags before the trailer. Read about them helping take some of the wiggle out and improving ride quality. I feel like they do that and the hitch still works fine.

itsrook

Reaction score
Short answer: with the L-brackets one notch lower on both sides than usual, the effect of the WDH was barely better than not using the WDH at all.

Long answer: I had to lower my L-brackets because I lost the bar used to snap the trunnion bars onto the L-brackets. I could get the driver side bar on the L-bracket myself, but I couldn't get the passenger side trunnion bar even close to the L-bracket. We were leaving on a weekend trip, so I had to get the trailer hooked up; as a result I opted to lower the L-brackets just so I could lift the trunnion bar onto the L-brackets (both sides). I figured that being attached would be better than nothing. Turns out, that's true, but barely. I felt the trailer tugging and swaying as we went over road undulation. The feeling was more like towing without the WDH than it was towing with the WDH.

With a new trunnion bar snap tool in hand, I won't have to deal with the lower position on the brackets again.

Until I lose the tool again, that is.
You know you can just jack the trailer and truck up with the hoist and slip the bars on. The higher you go the easier it is, then you just lower back down.

Terrible_One

Reaction score
I have a 27" 5500lb (dry) TT and I have been debating on getting a WDH. When I pulled the TT from the dealership my truck did great for the most part, but what I really noticed was quite a bit of porpoise'ing on my Limited with factory air ride. It sounds like the WDH will help greatly with that with the added benefit of sway control?

Last edited:

Seadoorxpguy

Reaction score
Between ease of hook up and not having to deal with a heavy hitch to slide in and out of the receiver of my truck the propride or Hensley hands down are worth it. i have over 10k miles on mine now towing a 32' tt and there is zero sway.

ALT_F13

Reaction score
I'm using Husky Centerline TS to pull 6500lb GVWR travel trailer. Had no issues on mountain roads even during storming weather. I usually disconnect the bars when leaving the highway and going off-road so bumps are not transferred from the trailer to the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/